So Cubbies... Is Dusty gone? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So Cubbies... Is Dusty gone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:37 pm

wrveres wrote:I know you guys are young, but come on its the Cubs. The loveable losers.

to this day, nobody has been able to tell me exactly when, other than the arrival of Dusty Baker, when the Cubs became this yearly contender I have been hearing so much about.

5 winning seasons in 35 years...
FIVE! ..

As for Dusty. I hope he runs away from that organization. Hell he has already quit, and who can blame him. Over the last two years, the Cubs fans have been some of the most disrespectful, digraceful fans I have seen in a long time.

They deserve this losing, they trully do. :-t

I'm not sure what makes you think I'm young, but that's immaterial.

Dusty had nothing to do with anything. I thought it was a bad hire at the time, and I still do. He wasn't and still isn't a tactically minded manager, and that's what the team needed then and needs now. The emergence of Prior and Zambrano, along with Aramis and then Derrek, was the reason the Cubs and their fans expected to be contenders, not because of Toothpick Man. I hope Dusty runs away from the Cubs as well. I wish he would have done it years ago.

As for "taking us to the brink of the Series", Dusty watched as the team had an 88 win season and snuck into the playoffs. Wood and Prior did the rest, and if not for Dusty's idiocy in not going to the pen in Game 7, we might have even gotten to the Series. I've been nothing but unimpressed with Dusty's so-called skills.

I'm not even going to bother with your generalzations of Cub fans. It reeks of being grossly uninformed or severly biased, whichever shoe fits.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:42 pm

ThatDude wrote:
wrveres wrote:I know you guys are young, but come on its the Cubs. The loveable losers.

to this day, nobody has been able to tell me exactly when, other than the arrival of Dusty Baker, when the Cubs became this yearly contender I have been hearing so much about.

FIVE! ..

As for Dusty. I hope he runs away from that organization. Hell he has already quit, and who can blame him. Over the last two years, the Cubs fans have been some of the most disrespectful, digraceful fans I have seen in a long time.

Dusty had nothing to do with anything. I thought it was a bad hire at the time, and I still do. He wasn't and still isn't a tactically minded manager, and that's what the team needed then and needs now. The emergence of Prior and Zambrano, along with Aramis and then Derrek, was the reason the Cubs and their fans expected to be contenders, not because of Toothpick Man. I hope Dusty runs away from the Cubs as well. I wish he would have done it years ago.

As for "taking us to the brink of the Series", Dusty watched as the team had an 88 win season and snuck into the playoffs. Wood and Prior did the rest, and if not for Dusty's idiocy in not going to the pen in Game 7, we might have even gotten to the Series. I've been nothing but unimpressed with Dusty's so-called skills.

I'm not even going to bother with your generalzations of Cub fans. It reeks of being grossly uninformed or severly biased, whichever shoe fits.

5 ...

five seasons above .500 in 35 years ..
5 ..
and a couple of those were, just barely over .500

enjoy 4th place. As a Cubs fan, you should be used to it
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 702)

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:49 pm

The Cubs were above .500 in

1971 (Are you counting this one in the "past 35 years?")

That's 10. Still not great, but I don't know why you have to be so rude while spreading your false information.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby ThatDude » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:50 pm

wrveres wrote:
ThatDude wrote:

FIVE! ..

5 ...

five seasons above .500 in 35 years ..
5 ..
and a couple of those were, just barely over .500

enjoy 4th place. As a Cubs fan, you should be used to it

Clearly, the grossly uninformed shoe fits perfectly, and I suspect the severly biased one does too.

You might want to look your stats up before you go spouting them off. You wouldn't look so foolish if you did.

There's been 5 seasons above .500 since 1995, and combined with the 2 division titles in 89 and 84, there's at least 7 seasons above .500 in the last 20 or so years.

Obviously, you aren't worth wasting my time on anymore.
ThatDude
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:51 pm

By contrast, let's see how another MLB team does... Take one at random.. Let's say the Padres.

They have 11.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:05 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:The Cubs were above .500 in

1971 (Are you counting this one in the "past 35 years?")

That's 10. Still not great, but I don't know why you have to be so rude while spreading your false information.

haha. awsome.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

http://www.retrosheet.org/

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:11 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:The Cubs were above .500 in

2001 88-74 3rd place
1998 90-73 2nd place
1995 73-71 Strike shortened year .. 3rd place
1993 84-78 3rd place
1989 93-69 1st place
1984 96-65 1st place
1972 85-70 2nd place

I stand corrected ..
It was 6 seasons above .500 in 30 years. I knew I had looked it up before. But that changes nothing. The first time the Cubs even saw back to back winning seasons since the late 60's early 70's was when Dusty arrived.

As for bieng rude. I don't think I was .. All we ever read on these boards is horrible things about Dusty Baker, even though he gave the Cubs their first back to back winning seasons in .. .. .. 30 plus years.

Nevermind that Dusty rattled off 8 winning seasons in a row ...

he doesn't know a damn thing ..

what ever.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby wrveres » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:14 pm

Absolutely Adequate wrote:By contrast, let's see how another MLB team does... Take one at random.. Let's say the Padres.

They have 11.

and you don't see us trying to lynch our manager, and sending race hate mail to the players, now do you.
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 6:39 pm

wrveres wrote:
Absolutely Adequate wrote:By contrast, let's see how another MLB team does... Take one at random.. Let's say the Padres.

They have 11.

and you don't see us trying to lynch our manager, and sending race hate mail to the players, now do you.

get over the race card.

and stop ignoring the fact that the cubs started spending substantial money once dusty showed up.

aramis ramirez hits a long shot last night. stands in box admiring his great work.

it hits the bottom of the wall.

aram continues to slop it around first until he actually turns it on.

he's easily thrown out at third as the first out in a 2-0 game in the 7th.

dustys reaction;

"Everybody says he doesn't hustle,'' manager Dusty Baker said. "He just hustled at the wrong time and wrong situation. Sure, he was watching the ball running to first. You just can't get thrown out at third with nobody out in that situation.''

i mean come on. aram stands and looks at the ball and jogs around first and all baker says is "Sure he was watching the ball running to first! guy is spineless. if this was the first time a player has made a mistake, sure stand up for him. but aram is a human slug and baker does nothing about it.

dusty needs to thank his lucky stars he ever had barry bonds in his life, because he is just an awful manager.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby davidmarver » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:08 pm

and stop ignoring the fact that the cubs started spending substantial money once dusty showed up.

In Dusty's first season, the payroll increased 3.9% while the team's winning increased 31.3%.

Then, in 2004, the team lost Kerry Wood and Mark Prior to injuries -- which, contrary to popular belief are not Dusty's fault -- and still increased their win total.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers