So Cubbies... Is Dusty gone? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

So Cubbies... Is Dusty gone?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

So Cubbies... Is Dusty gone?

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:51 pm

Latest I heard from the GM wasn't exactly a vote of confidence. A team with that salary shouldn't suck so bad. Even with the injuries, they shouldn't be threatening KC for the worst record.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:56 pm

The GM should take a look at himself first....Their defense is terrible, their bullpen is terrible, their 4th and 5th starters stink, and they can't score runs....I'm not a Dusty Baker supporter, but one look at their roster tells me that its not the managers fault. The GM is constantly over paying for mediocre players like Todd Walker Jaque Jones, and Juan Pierre. If it were not for the emergence of D. Lee last year, this team would have no hope.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:59 pm

The Cubs have a lot of problems, some of which are Dusty's fault. He's torturing his pitchers out there. But you can't just blame the guy on the ground for this one - it goes all the way to the top. McPhail has done a Bonifay-esque job building this team and the Tribune Corp has crippled him by refusing to invest enough money to build a perennial winner.

There's enough blame to go around.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:09 pm

Hendry is 're-evaluating' over the all-star break. I hope he's gone.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:16 pm

chadlincoln wrote:Hendry is 're-evaluating' over the all-star break. I hope he's gone.

I understand that a change would probably do the team a little good, but can you explain to me how a new manager will make this team significantly better? Their pricy leadoff man has a OBP of .314 and their cleanup guy has a .248 batting average.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:18 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:Hendry is 're-evaluating' over the all-star break. I hope he's gone.

I understand that a change would probably do the team a little good, but can you explain to me how a new manager will make this team significantly better? Their pricy leadoff man has a OBP of .314 and their cleanup guy has a .248 batting average.
They won't make the Cubs better. That's the sad part. Our team sucks and we have no farm system.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:25 pm

Yeah, there's blame to go around, but at this point, if you're the GM, you need somebody to take the blame... It's either you or Dusty...

The Cub fans are sort of snakebit in a way. Their very loyal and will basically sellout everygame no matter what, so if you're an owner that's all about the money, all you have to do is give them enuf hope to be optimistic for next year, and the fans will keep coming.

As contrasted to the White Sox... The White Sox have a hard core base of fans, but they also have a lot of fairweather fans that are there just because the Sox are winning. That puts a lot of pressure on ownership to be field a good team and focus on the fundamentals like keeping the scouting system funded well, etc.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:46 pm

Dude the cubs will win the world series once Prior and Wood are healthy.

bwahhwhahahwhwhhawhwa...no they won't.

Anyways you can't blame dusty for their weak team. The pitching is terrible all around and you can't win like that.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RynMan » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:08 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:The GM should take a look at himself first....Their defense is terrible, their bullpen is terrible, their 4th and 5th starters stink, and they can't score runs....I'm not a Dusty Baker supporter, but one look at their roster tells me that its not the managers fault. The GM is constantly over paying for mediocre players like Todd Walker Jaque Jones, and Juan Pierre. If it were not for the emergence of D. Lee last year, this team would have no hope.

Agreed. Hendry is awful.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby A's » Fri Jul 07, 2006 7:24 am

I agree that the cubs GM makes bad decision's, one is hiring Baker in the first place, Dusty got lucky with getting the giants to the world series, he was the reason the giants didnt win it all. Why would you take out a starting pitcher when he is coasting thru the 8th. This year shouldnt be his fault but the cubs still don't belong in the cellar. He is not a good manager.

Another bad decision by henry, was to reject the prior for tejeda deal, miggy would of added some pop in the lineup. And Prior would be better off to the orioles where he would also make no impact, til next year. Henry should pick up a copy of Moneyball j/k I feel your pain cubs fans. keep your head up, there is always next year
A's
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers