What's it worth??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia

What's it worth???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What's it worth???

Postby RVP » Mon Aug 18, 2003 2:54 pm

I am posting this on several sites trying to get different opinions of the value of what I have.

It is very difficult to get this across. I think this is something that has to be seen but.......

I have a loose leaf book of Baseball players autographs. I think they are from around the 1995 season, some may be earlier some may be later. This book came from a bankrupt screen printing business that was contracted to print for MLB.
This book has many hundreds of signatures. Most of them are approval photo copies meaning the player was given a specific form. he was requested to sign his name several times then one would be chosen for approval. Some are for basebal print approvals. Some were faxes. I mean this is amazing to see because there are hundreds of them. Everyone from
sammy Sosa, McGwire, everybody! This is basically like the who's who of baseball.

There are even just scraps of paper with the original signatures. I mean they must have just shoved these things in front of players said sign it and poof. Some of the scraps have multiple original signatures like they were just sitting in the locker room and past it around. I am not a baseball fan so most of the names are unfamiliar to me but some I recognize and some actually have the name printed next to it so the merchandise company would know who's signature was who's.

All signatures are written in black felt tip marker because that's what's required by us printers for reproduction onto say, shirt, ball etc. Example of papers with original signatures:

These are all separate pieces of scraps of paper. If you see more than one name ot's because there are multiple signatures on the paper. AMAZING!!

----Jose Canseco

----Jose Canseco, Roger Clemens, Mo Vaughn

----Gregg Jefferies, Len Dykstra, Darren Daulton

----Don Mattingly, Wade Boggs, (can't read 3rd name Starts wit J)

----Mike Piazza (with 2 otheres one starts with E, and the others looks like it says Hahn IV)

There are very many like this. Too many to list.

One has 19 signatures on it.

If anyone can give me an idea of what it's worth let me know. I am in the process of taking pictures. I may post them on a web site at some point but right now I would be happy to send pics.

I also have a loose leaf book like this for NHL but with a lot less origianl signatures.

Thanks in advance. I could use any info.

mailto:GFXPrint@yahoo.com :-B
RVP
T-Ball Trainer

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Shitney™ » Tue Aug 19, 2003 1:02 am

i want one. that sounds awesome.
Shitney™
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Arlo » Tue Aug 19, 2003 6:00 am

It does sound awesome. ;-D

I'm afraid that I have no idea of the value of such an item, but it's probably considerable. I hope you're planning on keeping the entire book intact rather than selling signatures individually. This sounds like a truly unique collection, and it would be a shame to see it split up...
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Tue Aug 19, 2003 9:38 am

Definitely keep the set intact. It's hard to say what it's worth, a nationally recognized dealer would have to take a look at it. I can tell you it's worth more intact, then it would be if you broke it up.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Sigs

Postby d18Mike » Tue Aug 19, 2003 4:55 pm

I've been involved in 2 large signed-contract purchases from defunct MLB-related ventures, so maybe I can help a bit.

First words of advice: For the time being, keep the collection intact.

The 1990s future HOFers players on CONTRACTS will be worth a considerable sum, at least $200+ retail each for Bonds, McGwire, Johnson, Ripken, Sosa ... perhaps far more. A little less for those with less drawing power, Boggs, Smith, Gwynn, Maddux ... a lot of folks like to collect on legal documents and those signed by modern HOF players are exceedingly scare indeed. The drop off in value for non-HOFers will be steep. Some players (Mattingly, Conseco etc..) will occupy a middle ground.

Signatures slips of paper or aggreations of players with no connection will be far less valuable.

As noted elsewhere on this site, I used to be the vintage autographs columnist for TUFF STUFF and worked on an eBay autograph fraud/authetication team. I have no commercial interest in autographs anymore but I'd be happy to take a closer look if you want to e-mail me any photos.

mailto:d18mike@yahoo.com
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby demoflauchy » Thu Sep 04, 2003 4:50 pm

I'd love to see that...what a cool deal!
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Baseball Cards and Memorabilia