Fausto Carmona - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Fausto Carmona

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby issaquah stud » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:45 pm

Ya but that being said I would definitely drop a guy like Jorge Sosa whos been erratic all year and won the Braves job only by default for the possiblility of gaining the closer for one of the best teams in baseball. Seems like a very safe risk to me.

Cleveland's Record: 39-44. One of the best teams in baseball????
Atlanta's Record: 37-48. Who Sosa plays for. Not much of a diff.

Sosa has been erratic as a starter. He is the official closer
Carmona has a high whip. He is officially a reliever. Not officially a closer.

I picked Carmona up today myself. But I also have Sosa on my team. I had an open DL spot, so I dropped Coffey and picked up MacDougal (placed him on DL) and signed Carmona. Between the two someone should pan out.
1BPujolsHuff
2BWeeks
3BCabrera
SSPeralta
IFSoriano OFSizemoreAlouCocoRVlad
PRoyHMULDERCainMadduxVerlanderESCOBAR Liriano
RPNathanCoffeyPapelbonGagne
issaquah stud
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dc928 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:32 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:
CeeLoGreen wrote:Simple:

Coffey, Sosa or Carmona????

SOSA...he's the only "closer" right now and hes been pitching well.

SOSA the walking machine is pitching well? I think his situation is more shakier than Coffey is...
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:44 pm

dc928 wrote:
Snakes Gould wrote:
CeeLoGreen wrote:Simple:

Coffey, Sosa or Carmona????

SOSA...he's the only "closer" right now and hes been pitching well.

SOSA the walking machine is pitching well? I think his situation is more shakier than Coffey is...

Since the Reds just acquired Guardado and Carmona's only the closer while Wickman is out this week I'd say it's Sosa by default as the most reliable closer.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Ryno23 » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:02 am

Greenie40 wrote:Ya think dropping Rodney for Carmona now rather than waiting and risking someone else pouncing is a good idea? Rodney has been scaring me lately anyway.

TeamMikeDeveraux wrote:would you guys drop F. Rodney for Carmona in a holds league??

I did the same thing after reading the Bullpen Report at RotoWorld:
If [Wickman's] shiny “proven closer” tag can blind a contender from seeing that he’s not worth much, the Indians would be wise to trade him. They could then give Carmona a shot at closing to see what he can do. In 20 1/3 innings since moving to the bullpen this season, the 22-year-old has a 1.33 ERA with 20 strikeouts and seven walks.

Rodney has been awful lately and only has 2 holds in the last month. Meanwhile, Carmona is among the league leaders in holds over that period with all 7 of his this season coming in the past month. He's been pitching the 8th lately, too, for Cleveland.

Edited to add that I also have Wickman as one of my 3 closers, so I'm taking a flyer on Carmona, also, being the replacement should CLE trade or demote Wickman.
Ryno23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby T_Majik » Fri Jul 07, 2006 12:18 am

Has anyone read why Wickman will be out? I am planning on picking up Carmona ;-D but can not find any article on Wickman being unavailable? Anyone have anything.... :-? ? I need to someone to replace Coffey who just made me sick with his BS tonight..... :-P :-P !!

TMajik
Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer. ~Ted Williams
T_Majik
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Raf » Fri Jul 07, 2006 2:19 am

From Rotoworld:

Indians pitching coach Carl Willis indicated Thursday that Fausto Carmona is the primary alternative to Bob Wickman for saves in his club's pen.
"If we start winning baseball games like we hope to, Bob Wickman can't pitch every night or six out of seven nights a week or whatever it may be," Willis said. "That opportunity [for Carmona to close] is going to come, and we'll see how he handles that role." Carmona might handle the role full-time if Wickman is traded later this month. Even mixed leaguers should be thinking about picking him up at this point.

Take it for what its worth
Raf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby powenM » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:11 am

Id def take a gamble on Carmona. Sosa may be the 'official' closer right now. But despite 3svs hes been a terrible hit on the era/whip.
Just traded BButler, BWood & JLoney for Mark Teixeira, Ryan Theriot & Renyel Pinto in a DYNASTY LEAGUE. Big gamble I know!
powenM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chuckles » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:34 am

Ray came out last night for Atlanta, so I don't know how strong of a hold Sosa has on the job anyway. I'd give Carmona a shot, especially in a holds league.
If you can help:

viewtopic.php?f=94&t=313880

Thanks!!!

It's not the size of the dog in a fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog!"
Chuckles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates