Dmitri Young activated 7-21, DHing & batting 7th tonight?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Dmitri Young activated 7-21, DHing & batting 7th tonight??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcqfesijiba » Wed Jul 19, 2006 8:44 am

Dmitri is suddenly tearing it up now that he's in Toledo. Looks like he'll either have actually gained some trade value or force his way onto the big league club. We'll know by July 25.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:31 pm

mcqfesijiba wrote:Dmitri is suddenly tearing it up now that he's in Toledo. Looks like he'll either have actually gained some trade value or force his way onto the big league club. We'll know by July 25.

Good. The way Shelton seems to be unable to rediscover the strike zone we need someone who could play 1B and hit the ball. Is DY hitting with any power, or is he hitting minor league pitches for singles?

I hope the don't rush him up. I would like him to get more ABs before throwing him to pitchers who have the fastballs, sliders, and curves that made DY look so foolish early this year.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby mcqfesijiba » Thu Jul 20, 2006 8:52 am

Through yesterday, July 19, DY in 26 ABs is hitting .500/.567/.731 with 3 2B, 1 HR, 5 RBI, and a 4/3 BB/K ratio. All's I can say is where the hell did this come from? Those are good numbers no matter how you look at them. I'm still skeptical as to whether or not he can help (let alone stay healthy), but a performance like that can't be ignored. I wouldn't be surprised if a decision was made on DY before the July 25 deadline at this rate.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:39 pm

DY was always a good hitter. Maybe now that he is dried out he has found his eye. Bet he gets called up pretty soon.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jul 20, 2006 5:49 pm

moochman wrote:DY was always a good hitter. Maybe now that he is dried out he has found his eye. Bet he gets called up pretty soon.

With Haren going tomorrow night and 2 other righties going Saturday and Sunday it wouldn't suprise me one bit to see Dmitri called up tomorrow. Hell, with the way Dmitri is swinging the stick in Toledo and the way Haren shut down the Tigers in his last start against them I fully expect the Tigers to call DY up and start him at DH tomorrow. Especially with Monroe getting yanked today with a tight hamstring.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jul 20, 2006 6:38 pm

From todays game notes.

Detroit DH Dmitri Young, who has been on the DL since May 22 with a leg strain and personal issues, could be activated as soon as Friday when the Tigers host Oakland. Young's rehabilitation assignment in the minors could extend into next week, but Leyland said "it won't run it's full course." After the game, Leyland would not rule out Young's return Friday, but said a move had not yet been made to bring him back to the team.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:42 pm

Dmitri Young activated, Ramon Santiago sent down

DETROIT -- The Tigers have activated troubled first baseman Dmitri Young for Friday night's game against Oakland.

To make room on the roster for Young, the team sent infielder Ramon Santiago to AAA Toledo.

Young left the Tigers on May 21 and soon after entered a rehabilitation center. He later told The Detroit News he had trouble with alcohol.

The 32-year-old has been playing for the Tigers' minor-league teams the last few weeks.

Heard some rumors that he will DH tonight and hit 7th.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:17 pm

moochman wrote:DY was always a good hitter. Maybe now that he is dried out he has found his eye. Bet he gets called up pretty soon.
I hope so, but I also didn't expect his troubles to be put behind him so fast, which is why I was a bit baffled by him suddenly ripping up AAA after struggling in AA not far removed from his legal problems.

Regardless of how well DY is hitting (or isn't), he is still a major injury risk. Still gotta hope for the best now that he's going to be back with the big league club. I'm all for anything that will help the team.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:46 pm

Regardless of how well DY is hitting (or isn't), he is still a major injury risk. Still gotta hope for the best now that he's going to be back with the big league club. I'm all for anything that will help the team.

I agree 100%, whatever helps the team I'm all for.

Like you said DY is always going to be a major injury risk and it would be a huge mistake for the Tigers to count on him as their much needed left hander/offensive help. No matter how good DY swings the stick in his return DD still needs to explore trade options. IF DY manages to keep his stuff together and stays healthy for the rest of the season that's just icing on the cake.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Sat Jul 22, 2006 11:27 am

Let's assume for the moment that DY is able to hit and is a model citizen. Does that make it easier for the Tigers to trade for a Soriano?
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Detroit Tigers