Dmitri Young activated 7-21, DHing & batting 7th tonight?? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Dmitri Young activated 7-21, DHing & batting 7th tonight??

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dmitri Young activated 7-21, DHing & batting 7th tonight??

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:45 pm

OAKLAND, Calif. -- Dmitri Young is scheduled to DH tonight for Class A Lakeland, starting out on a trail that could find him back with the Tigers soon after the All-Star break. While the Tigers don't have a set date for Young's return, he can only stay on a rehab assignment for 20 days, or until July 25.

The plan is for Young to DH tonight and tomorrow for Lakeland, then move to Double-A Erie, where he will play through Monday. Young is expected to play first base, third base and the outfield. Then, after a 2-day All-Star break, Young would join Triple-A Toledo on July 13. He'll stay there as long as the Tigers think he needs at-bats.

The bigger hope is that Young is the left-handed bat the Tigers need. While it's not at all out of the question that they would still trade for a lefty hitter, right now Young is better than any of the choices available on the trade market.
Last edited by Dannomyte on Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:50 pm

Dy went 2 for 3 with a walk in his 1st rehab start for Lakeland.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:15 pm

I don't know why they would waste everyone's time playing DY at any position other than 1B. He isn't suited for any other spot and Thames/Monroe seem to be handling the duties in RF. I hope they let him get 50 or more ABs down there before even thinking of bringing him up.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Re: Dmitri Young scheduled to DH tonight in Lakeland

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:38 pm

Dannomyte wrote:OAKLAND, Calif. -- Dmitri Young is scheduled to DH tonight for Class A Lakeland, starting out on a trail that could find him back with the Tigers soon after the All-Star break. While the Tigers don't have a set date for Young's return, he can only stay on a rehab assignment for 20 days, or until July 25.

The plan is for Young to DH tonight and tomorrow for Lakeland, then move to Double-A Erie, where he will play through Monday. Young is expected to play first base, third base and the outfield. Then, after a 2-day All-Star break, Young would join Triple-A Toledo on July 13. He'll stay there as long as the Tigers think he needs at-bats.

The bigger hope is that Young is the left-handed bat the Tigers need. While it's not at all out of the question that they would still trade for a lefty hitter, right now Young is better than any of the choices available on the trade market.
Hmm. Really? In DY, I see a player who has put up bad stats in very limited playing time spending the rest of the time injured, and that's not even taking into account any personal problems he may or may not still be dealing with. There doesn't need to be a rush yet, but he clearly isn't the best option. He's just what we have right now.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:33 am

Here is a link to Dmitri's stats so far on his latest rehab stint.

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... pid=124693
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:41 am

Dmitri hitting a cool .150 at Double A Erie after going 0 for 4 last night with 1 K. Have to love his .292 OBP and his .200 SLG. It has only been 6 games at Double-A though. He now has 25 total AB and I think he can only be on a rehab stint for 50 AB max. :-[
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 13, 2006 2:28 am

Dannomyte wrote:Dmitri hitting a cool .150 at Double A Erie after going 0 for 4 last night with 1 K. Have to love his .292 OBP and his .200 SLG. It has only been 6 games at Double-A though. He now has 25 total AB and I think he can only be on a rehab stint for 50 AB max. :-[

I guess it is too much to expect that he would be able to hit a ball this soon after all he'd been hitting since August '05 has been the bottle and the girlfriend. Hope he starts to show more ability before creating a stink to go to the Show.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jul 13, 2006 4:25 pm

DY headed to Toledo. Should be in the line-up tonight. Gotta love him being promoted to Triple-A when he couldn't hit Double-A pitching!
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcqfesijiba » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:11 am

Dannomyte wrote:DY headed to Toledo. Should be in the line-up tonight. Gotta love him being promoted to Triple-A when he couldn't hit Double-A pitching!
I think the early part of his rehab isn't necessarily about the results, moreso a way for him to get some work in. As noted in the first post, his progression was planned before he ever stepped back on the field. I assume that AAA is where he'll be more closely evaluated.

I honestly can't see him being too good of a fit right now. DY is a DH, aside from maybe being an adequate (or close to it) first baseman. I'd rather see Thames DHing and Shelton at 1st. He would also take Alexis Gomez's spot. As easy as it is to rip on Gomez because he will never be an adequate starter in the bigs, he is doing fine in the role he has as an occasional starter against tough RHP/pinch runner/late inning defensive replacement, most of which DY definitely is not.

I wouldn't be surprised if this rehab was nothing more than a way to buy some time to figure out what to do with the guy.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby moochman » Fri Jul 14, 2006 11:18 am

I thought I read somewhere that he can be kept in the minors no longer than 20 or 30 days. Then the Tigers will have to bring him up to the bigs or put him on waivers.

Now the problem is that I don't know that this is sufficant time for him to regain a swing. So what could happen is they bow to thier mistakes of last season and bring the $8million dollar man up. He will then face pitchers who had a ridiculously easy time getting him out. If he comes up and embarrasses himself his career could be over. And what a shame that would be. Never a great hitter, he was a good enough hitter to play on any AL team. I hope the boozin' and beatdowns were worth the sad results.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Detroit Tigers