Cards Fans ... Little Help Here !!! WHIR!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Cards Fans ... Little Help Here !!! WHIR!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Cards Fans ... Little Help Here !!! WHIR!!!

Postby YanksLifer » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:25 pm

Two questions for those who follow the Cards scene daily:

1. Does Reyes have a rotation spot the rest of the year, even if Jeff Weaver is acquired?

2. Will Juan Encarnacion play regularly (say 250 or so more ABs) the rest of the year assuming he doesn't go completely in the tank?

Give me your thoughts and let me know if I can help you!
YanksLifer
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1015
Joined: 12 May 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:45 pm

Adding a question on to this one (although along the same lines)...how likely is it sounding that Weaver will be coming to the Cards?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:46 pm

1. Yes
2. Yes

Reyes has been the best SP outside of Carp. Ponson isn't exactly LaRussa's favorite player right now but there isn't really another option with Mulder on the DL.

Even if Encarnacion does go in the tank he'll see the majority of time because the backups aren't anything special.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21587
(Past Year: 357)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:08 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Adding a question on to this one (although along the same lines)...how likely is it sounding that Weaver will be coming to the Cards?
I think that depends who else is interested and on how some other deals fall but I wouldn't count on it. I would expect the Dodgers, Reds, RedSox and Rangers to show some interest. If Maddux goes to the Dodgers they lose interest.
Maybe they can swing a deal with the Angels before the deadline cause I don't think they will get him otherwise. Even though Weaver has been horrible there are plenty of teams that would give him a shot. The Cards aren't really know for outspending teams.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21587
(Past Year: 357)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby mcd285 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:31 pm

Reyes- hard to say for sure, but all signs and reports lead to him staying up all year. he is the #2 behind carpenter, and there is no sign of mulder coming back early. ponson is not high on larussas list. larussa and duncan (pitch coach) dont like riding their young guns. it is similar to the jered weaver situtation in la. if he gets sent down....no one will understand why.

encarnacion will play all year unless he gets hurt. edmonds needs days off, and there is no everyday leftfielder. juan has to play.

there is nothing new to report on weaver. larussa and duncan are looking for a vet pitcher, but they wont overpay for one.
mcd285
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 322
Joined: 6 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:36 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:Adding a question on to this one (although along the same lines)...how likely is it sounding that Weaver will be coming to the Cards?
I think that depends who else is interested and on how some other deals fall but I wouldn't count on it. I would expect the Dodgers, Reds, RedSox and Rangers to show some interest. If Maddux goes to the Dodgers they lose interest.
Maybe they can swing a deal with the Angels before the deadline cause I don't think they will get him otherwise. Even though Weaver has been horrible there are plenty of teams that would give him a shot. The Cards aren't really know for outspending teams.


I think with Weaver DFA though isn't there a 10 day window for them to deal him or is he still too young for that to apply?
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby Pogotheostrich » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:44 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:I think with Weaver DFA though isn't there a 10 day window for them to deal him or is he still too young for that to apply?
Yeah, there is a 10 day window but if the Angels couldn't deal him before I don't have much confidence in it happening now. But you never know.
Image
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 21587
(Past Year: 357)
Joined: 9 Dec 2002
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: St. Louis

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:55 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:I think with Weaver DFA though isn't there a 10 day window for them to deal him or is he still too young for that to apply?
Yeah, there is a 10 day window but if the Angels couldn't deal him before I don't have much confidence in it happening now. But you never know.


I'm not positive on this...just what I've heard on talk radio and on blogs and the like is that before the Angels were looking for someone to take Weaver and his salary...now they're just looking for someone to take Weaver along with the part of his salary that he's actually worth. They're willing to eat most of the salary to get something slightly worthwhile in return. Again that's just rumor though...take it for what it's worth.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Posts: 7290
Joined: 30 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Cubs Win!!! Cubs Win!!!

Postby Red Sox Nation » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:15 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:1. Yes
2. Yes

Reyes has been the best SP outside of Carp. Ponson isn't exactly LaRussa's favorite player right now but there isn't really another option with Mulder on the DL.

Even if Encarnacion does go in the tank he'll see the majority of time because the backups aren't anything special.


Well, the problem is that only Carp is staying in the rotation (due to his contract). I believe everyone else is a free-agent in the winter. That'll leave the Cards with Carpenter, Wainwright (supposed to start in the rotation next year), and Reyes (most likely will stay up). So who's going to fill the other two spots? I'm guessing Marquis or Suppan. And I'm sure the Cards will trade for someone in the winter.

Pogotheostrich wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:Adding a question on to this one (although along the same lines)...how likely is it sounding that Weaver will be coming to the Cards?
I think that depends who else is interested and on how some other deals fall but I wouldn't count on it. I would expect the Dodgers, Reds, RedSox and Rangers to show some interest. If Maddux goes to the Dodgers they lose interest.
Maybe they can swing a deal with the Angels before the deadline cause I don't think they will get him otherwise. Even though Weaver has been horrible there are plenty of teams that would give him a shot. The Cards aren't really know for outspending teams.


I'd love for the Red Sox to take Mulder in the off-season so if Lester stays up they'll have two lefties in the rotation. But that's only if Mulder is pitching strongly and can recover. I would be really pissed if the Red Sox aquired Jeff anytime now or in the off-season.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 387
Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball


Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Jul. 31
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi White Sox at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(2:20 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(3:40 pm)
Philadelphia at Washington
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Toronto at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at Arizona
(9:40 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact