MacDougal - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

MacDougal

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MacDougal

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:58 pm

Macdougal pitched an inning on rehab and did well. I would think once he comes back he would assume the closing duties for the Royals. Anyone else closer to the situation hear anything about him and his role when he gets back?
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Paco625 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:42 pm

Last i've read, he will be eased back into the closer role, so dont get worried when he is setting up for Burgos for the first week or two when he is activated. All indications are that he will assume the closer role eventually.
Paco625
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:08 pm

Well if they strictly use him as a set up guy for three or four outings until plugging him in as closer it could be mid september before he starts closing again. I'd hope they would "ease" him back in by using him as needed to get work in whether it was with a lead or in a blow out. This way he might be closing by early august and have a shot for 10+ saves
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TeamMikeDeveraux » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:44 pm

i read a quote by the Royals manager today that said he would put MacDougal directly back in the closers role upon his call-up. So much for easing him into it. Im glad as a macdougal owner!
TeamMikeDeveraux
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby ordinarygenius » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:44 pm

According to Rotoworld, Buddy Bell wants MacDougal to be the Royals' closer as soon as he gets back from his rehab assignment. We shall see in the first few games after the All-Star break.
ordinarygenius
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Red Sox Nation » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:17 pm

I've heard of him and I'm too lazy to research about him but what's so special about this guy? All I know is that he's KC's closer and he's on the DL since the beginning of the season.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:22 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:I've heard of him and I'm too lazy to research about him but what's so special about this guy? All I know is that he's KC's closer and he's on the DL since the beginning of the season.

He's the closer for the worst team in baseball...but he's a closer. He's also the best that the Royals have so he's almost assured of his job when he comes back. That's about it.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby bigwords » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:02 pm

[quote="Red Sox Nation"]what's so special about this guy?[/quote]

Let me point out that he had 72 Ks in 70 innings last year, with a pretty good ERA/WHIP. So he's not just about the saves. Plus, KC always is a seller in the trade market at this time of year, and there are certainly teams (KC trading partner, TB, comes to mind) who might deal for him.

Grab him, especially if you have an open DL spot that allows you to activate the guy whenever you want. Could be a trade asset when he gets back.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby NatsFan10 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:21 pm

bigwords wrote:
Red Sox Nation wrote:what's so special about this guy?

Let me point out that he had 72 Ks in 70 innings last year, with a pretty good ERA/WHIP. So he's not just about the saves. Plus, KC always is a seller in the trade market at this time of year, and there are certainly teams (KC trading partner, TB, comes to mind) who might deal for him.

Grab him, especially if you have an open DL spot that allows you to activate the guy whenever you want. Could be a trade asset when he gets back.

Good points, Mac has great K numbers and had a very solid ERA and WHIP last year. He also had a great rookie year in 03 when he went to the All Star game.

He will have solid value as a closer once he comes back, especially now that KC is playing a bit better. But if he gets traded his value could go up dramatically.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby JakeTrain72 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:13 am

MacDougal has been solid for the Royals (other than his DL time) and he is a closer with decent job security, which makes him a nice option to have, especially in deep leagues.

Now, with a few teams really needing a better option in the 9th, the Royals will certainly get a decent offer for him. If traded he is asssured of going to a team that wins more often.

I have not heard any rumors, this is just me speculating. Cincinnati and SF would seem like buyers for him. Detroit and Oakland might be interested in adding depth and insurance as they make a run as well.

He may could land in a set up role and his value will decline, but he is still worth adding to your roster if he is just sitting on the WW. He could be a guy to get 15 saves and nice ratios in the second half. If he stays with the Royals, I'd say 10 saves is about all you are going to get from him, but his innings should be quality and help your team. If nothing else you can trade him. I am sure 10 extra saves would help some teams jump up a point or two in roto leagues.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates