Win/Loss Decision 5-inning rule? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Win/Loss Decision 5-inning rule?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Win/Loss Decision 5-inning rule?

Postby Philliebuster » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:26 pm

Can someone please explain to me how a pitcher can get a loss if they have not pitched 5 innings, however if the pitcher leaves with a lead after say 3 innings due to injury and that lead is maintained throughout the game, they would not necessarily get the W? What is the actual rule and reasoning behind it?
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CBMGreatOne » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:35 pm

A starting pitcher has to go five innings to qualify for the decision. Obviously this rule is a little silly considering any reliever needs only to record one out (albeit at exactly the right time) to earn a decision. I'm not certain of the reasoning behind it, but I'm pretty sure if the lead is maintained after the short innings that the starter logs, the next reliever to pitch earns the victory (not 100% sure about this part, feel free to correct me).
CBMGreatOne
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 89)

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:47 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:A starting pitcher has to go five innings to qualify for the decision. Obviously this rule is a little silly considering any reliever needs only to record one out (albeit at exactly the right time) to earn a decision. I'm not certain of the reasoning behind it, but I'm pretty sure if the lead is maintained after the short innings that the starter logs, the next reliever to pitch earns the victory (not 100% sure about this part, feel free to correct me).

I don't think its automatically the next pitcher in the game... its up to the official scorer. Which only makes the rule about the starting pitcher not being able to qualify even stupider - if its up to the official scorer, why the heck can't he award it to the starter if he was most effective? Weird.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby mak1277 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:01 pm

CBMGreatOne wrote:A starting pitcher has to go five innings to qualify for the decision. Obviously this rule is a little silly considering any reliever needs only to record one out (albeit at exactly the right time) to earn a decision. I'm not certain of the reasoning behind it, but I'm pretty sure if the lead is maintained after the short innings that the starter logs, the next reliever to pitch earns the victory (not 100% sure about this part, feel free to correct me).

Correction...you have to go 5 innings to qualify for the win. You don't even have to get an out as the starter to be saddled with the loss.

As far as whether or not that's fair...well, if a guy gives up, say, 9 runs in the first inning and gets pulled, he probably deserves the loss.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Philliebuster » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:22 pm

mak1277 wrote:

Correction...you have to go 5 innings to qualify for the win. You don't even have to get an out as the starter to be saddled with the loss.

As far as whether or not that's fair...well, if a guy gives up, say, 9 runs in the first inning and gets pulled, he probably deserves the loss.

The problem I have is when a pitcher goes 4 innings, rain delay, leaves up 4-1 and gets a no decision when the game ends 5-2. So you're saying it's up to the official game scorer who gets the W?
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Red Sox Nation » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:59 pm

Philliebuster wrote:
mak1277 wrote:

The problem I have is when a pitcher goes 4 innings, rain delay, leaves up 4-1 and gets a no decision when the game ends 5-2. So you're saying it's up to the official game scorer who gets the W?

It sure wouldn't be the guy who pitched the initial 4 innings. Most likely it'll be the next guy if he can maintain that lead.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:06 pm

WINNING AND LOSING PITCHER
(a) Credit the starting pitcher with a game won only if he has pitched at least five complete innings and his team not only is in the lead when he is replaced but remains in the lead the remainder of the game.
(b)The “must pitch five complete innings” rule in respect to the starting pitcher shall be in effect for all games of six or more innings. In a five-inning game, credit the starting pitcher with a game won if he has pitched at least four complete innings and his team not only is in the lead when he is replaced but remains in the lead the remainder of the game.
(c)When the starting pitcher cannot be credited with the victory because of the provisions of 10.19(a) or (b) and more than one relief pitcher is used, the victory shall be awarded on the following basis:
(1) When, during the tenure of the starting pitcher, the winning team assumes the lead and maintains it to the finish of the game, credit the victory to the relief pitcher judged by the scorer to have been the most effective;
(2) Whenever the score is tied the game becomes a new contest insofar as the winning and losing pitcher is concerned;

(removed rest of rule, as the above is sufficient for this thread)
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers