Enron Founder Ken Lay Dies at 64 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Enron Founder Ken Lay Dies at 64

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby suppasonic » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:24 pm

I heard two guys on the bus talking, at least one of whom appeared to be high, and they were saying something like "You know, man, they have drugs that can do that kinda stuff. Now they like, dont have to give the people back their money, man."

The conspiracy theories begin!
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:37 am

suppasonic wrote:I heard two guys on the bus talking, at least one of whom appeared to be high, and they were saying something like "You know, man, they have drugs that can do that kinda stuff. Now they like, dont have to give the people back their money, man."

The conspiracy theories begin!

yea i think if you read into this subject a bit youd see that mr lay probably didnt have the money to pay back to the people whos life he and his cronies completely destroyed.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby theclefe » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:39 am

Just happened to be on vacation is Aspen. It must have been a tough vacation to have a heart attack during. I don't buy it was natural, but dead is dead. I would probably do the same thing and go out on my terms.
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Snakes Gould » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:56 am

yikes! i was thinking i would see a few more R.I.P's ;-7

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby JTWood » Thu Jul 06, 2006 7:27 am

I understand that he was not a good man at Enron, and I understand that he hurt a lot of people, but this isn't the only place where I've seen people trivializing his death.

To me - and I'm obviously in the minority here - I just don't understand how you can celebrate anyone's deaths. With some people, like Saddam's sons or Al Zharqawi, you knew it was coming and that it wouldn't be pretty. However, I don't think it's ever a good thing to hear that anyone's died, particularly if they were a bad person.

It must be the church in me talking, but I just hope that he had things right with his soul before he passed. I don't care what you do while you're alive, I wouldn't wish hell on anyone.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:13 am

JTWood wrote:I understand that he was not a good man at Enron, and I understand that he hurt a lot of people, but this isn't the only place where I've seen people trivializing his death.

To me - and I'm obviously in the minority here - I just don't understand how you can celebrate anyone's deaths. With some people, like Saddam's sons or Al Zharqawi, you knew it was coming and that it wouldn't be pretty. However, I don't think it's ever a good thing to hear that anyone's died, particularly if they were a bad person.

It must be the church in me talking, but I just hope that he had things right with his soul before he passed. I don't care what you do while you're alive, I wouldn't wish hell on anyone.

I think most people, including myself, are intrigued by the fact that he seemed to be in good health, had a sentencing coming up where he was going to be looking at, basically, the rest of his life in prison, and, all of a sudden, he has a heart attack. As a Christian I wouldn't wish hell on anyone either. I was merely pointing out (and maybe poking fun) at the circumstances surrounding his death, not his demise itself.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Coppermine » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:19 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:
JTWood wrote:I understand that he was not a good man at Enron, and I understand that he hurt a lot of people, but this isn't the only place where I've seen people trivializing his death.

I think most people, including myself, are intrigued by the fact that he seemed to be in good health, had a sentencing coming up where he was going to be looking at, basically, the rest of his life in prison, and, all of a sudden, he has a heart attack. As a Christian I wouldn't wish hell on anyone either. I was merely pointing out (and maybe poking fun) at the circumstances surrounding his death, not his demise itself.

They say stress can contribute to a person's increased risk of heart attack and stroke. I would imagine Mr. Lay was under more stress than you and I could imagine; What did he get, 25 years in prison for white collar crime? Yes, many, many people were hurt financially by his actions, but murderers and rapists have done less time than he was going to.

More than anything, he certainly didn't deserve to die, if that's what people are implying. I don't have any religious reasons though for assuming he's probably happier now than he would have been looking at spending the rest of his life in jail.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:54 am

KEN LAY IS NOT GUILTY!!!!

apparently if you die before your appeal the convictions is erased. The door is still open for civil suits though. I am trying to find a link...
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:58 pm

Coppermine wrote: Yes, many, many people were hurt financially by his actions, but murderers and rapists have done less time than he was going to.

ah that's bogus. he destroyed hundreds if not thousands of peoples lives. he's burning right now and rightfully so.
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:05 pm

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Coppermine wrote: Yes, many, many people were hurt financially by his actions, but murderers and rapists have done less time than he was going to.

ah that's bogus. he destroyed hundreds if not thousands of peoples lives. he's burning right now and rightfully so.

Those who had everything in Enron stock own 49% blame for their personal demise.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk