Strategy Question - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Strategy Question

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Strategy Question

Postby SewerRat22 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:26 am

My league has a 7 inning minimum for pitchers. Am i crazy for having 6 (questionable) starters on my staff?!

Would it be better to make a trade and landing a stud like Santana or Liriano and just compliment them with relievers with high k/9 ratios? The FA list is stacked with relief pitchers because their only fault is that they do not close... and I've already found a few that are SP eligible. (to place them in the SP spots) and the extra bench spots could go to back up hitters to fill in for days off and or slumps.

Getting my butt kicked in every category excluding saves.

Stat categories: W, SV, K, ERA, WHIP (12 Team H2H League)

I'd most likely be forfeiting wins... and may win k's occasionally. But with the league average being over 4.50 for ERA and 1.40 for WHIP (SP'S)... I think I could shore up those stats plus saves. (W/L 3-2 compared to 1-4)

My first year playing FBB... don't know unless you ask someone...

Roster positions: SP, SP, RP, RP, P, P, P, BN, BN, BN, BN, BN,

Pitchers:
SP P. Martínez (NYM - SP)
SP A.J. Burnett (Tor - SP)
RP B. Wagner (NYM - RP)
RP T. Jones (Det - RP)
P J. Julio (Ari - RP)
P J. Lester (Bos - SP)
P M. Morris (SF - SP)
BN M. Prior (ChC - SP)
BN C. Lee (Cle - SP)
BN A. Reyes (StL - SP)
"Who's done more research than the good people at the American Tobacco Industry? They say its harmless. Why would they lie? If you're dead, you can't smoke." Roy Munson
SewerRat22
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tianyihe » Wed Jul 05, 2006 9:36 am

If you can land santana or liriano, great. But most likely, you would have to give up pedro so the trade isnt that great. With your current team, winning era and whip will be difficult bc of todd jones, and prior.

I think todd jones needs to go if you want to win era because he implodes at least once a week.

You should wait it out alittle bit more on prior though, because if he regains his old form, hes dominating. Matt morris
tianyihe
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Postby waterproof » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:50 am

I don't like that strategy. A few pitchers blow up, and it can really back fire.
waterproof
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Jbyrdo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:55 pm

That staff isn't terrible, it's nothing to write home about but if you dump Jones and put someone like Shields (RP-LAA) who is a great setup man your staff should be able to compete.
Jbyrdo
College Coach
College Coach

Postby RGreener26 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:01 pm

Your best strategy in that type of a league is drafing a stud SP early, like Santana in round 1 (actually, the best strategy in any league is to draft him in the 1st round, for reasons I don't have time to go into) and then get the best closers.

You are most likely going to win three out of the five categories (ERA, WHIP, and Saves) every week and have a shot with K's.

It may be too hard to trade for that now, though, this far into the season.
RGreener26
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers