Gomes' power returning? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Gomes' power returning?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CeeLoGreen » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:01 pm

I also heard a rumor on the Tampa Fox Sports Network that he could begin taking groundballs at first, preparing him to perhaps play the position next year. Just adds a little value to him, especially in keeper or dynasty leagues.

It is really hard to see him match his early season output with the concern of injury in the back of his mind.
Basically I'm complicated.
I have a hard time taking the easy way
I wouldn't call it schizophrenia
But Ill be at least two people today

If that's OK

And I can go on, and on, and on...

But who cares?
CeeLoGreen
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jbauer2485 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 8:10 am

cobbs87 wrote:And with that approach you will prob miss a 2 homer game from him today.

Why does that matter if I have a better active players right now...?
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby jt787 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:14 pm

i think he should just perform the surgery now, rather than aggrevate it and make it much worse. And i dont think he'll be any use to the TB lineup anyway, he's not hitting for avg or power.
jt787
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevekahuda » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:12 pm

Well, this is obviously a completely different level of competition, but I currently have a shoulder injury that makes it difficult to throw without a great deal of pain. However, I don't feel it at all when I swing a bat and my "power numbers" haven't dropped at all. So, I can see how they can say that he can hit but not field. No need to rush into surgery when you can still be productive - at least in the AL. Now, the fact that he's stinking up the joint is a whole other story :*)
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckmonkey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:00 am

stevekahuda wrote:Well, this is obviously a completely different level of competition, but I currently have a shoulder injury that makes it difficult to throw without a great deal of pain. However, I don't feel it at all when I swing a bat and my "power numbers" haven't dropped at all. So, I can see how they can say that he can hit but not field. No need to rush into surgery when you can still be productive - at least in the AL. Now, the fact that he's stinking up the joint is a whole other story :*)

Yeah, but Gomes is facing pitchers who throw overhanded. :-b

I do think that Gomes needs to get an opinion from a doctor to see if continuing to swing a bat will worsen his shoulder or not. I know he wants to tough it out and play through the pain, I'm guilty of that too, but he can have a great career ahead of him if he stays healthy. Sometimes it's better to just get it over with. MLB has enough Kerry Woods already.
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby stevekahuda » Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:33 am

You missed the point of my argument. He's probably not feeling any pain except when he plays catch. Sort of like Jim Edmonds earlier in the year when he had the forearm problem. No pain in the swing, but he had problems throwing. The fact that Gomes is stinking the joint up is probably due more to the fact that he's a free swinger in his second year that the league has adjusted to. Pronk's elbow problems don't effect his swing since its a different motion. Same with Gomes - if its a rotator cuff he would most likely not feel that at all since you don't use that when you swing. Unless you swing downwards that is :*)
stevekahuda
College Coach
College Coach

Postby duckmonkey » Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:19 am

You can worsen injuries and still be able to perform. He may not feel pain swinging NOW, but he knows he has a bad shoulder and it could cut his career short if he doesn't get it taken care of when he has the chance to do so early on.

I hope he gets it checked out and fixed on during the offseason, if he makes it that long.
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates