Gomes' power returning? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Gomes' power returning?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Gomes' power returning?

Postby Starkmadfan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:11 am

2 for 4, a double, 2 RBIs, and a HR off of Schilling - a sign that he will have a strong 2nd half? He was just sitting there on the ww - couldn't resist grabbing him.

Heck, I still remember this guy with the Hudson Valley Renegades - he looked like the real deal then - guess the question is how bad his shoulder is going to affect him for the rest of the season.
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:21 am

sore rotator cuff should hinder his swing alittle bit.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby flowbee » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:19 am

He had a slump coupled with a long stretch of interleague play, so he's fallen off the radar...I think the days off did him some good. When he gets on another hotstreak, it should be a big one
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jbauer2485 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 8:44 am

It was only 1 game, I'm not putting him in unless he does this consistently.
jbauer2485
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby cobbs87 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:28 pm

And with that approach you will prob miss a 2 homer game from him today.
cobbs87
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer

Postby Red Sox Nation » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:45 pm

Snakes Gould wrote:sore rotator cuff should hinder his swing alittle bit.

KFFL wrote:Jul 4 The St. Petersburg Times reports Tampa Bay Devil Rays OF Jonny Gomes (shoulder) has been diagnosed with a strained rotator cuff ligament, an ailment that has bothered him since spring training. The injury is being treated with exercise, but Gomes did not rule out offseason surgery.

Looks like he'll be DHing the rest of the year. I'd still stick him in OF (if not Util).
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby duckmonkey » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:26 pm

So with putting him in at DH, are they saying that this injury hurts his throwing but not his batting? Maybe they're just trying to keep him in the lineup while trying to give him a little more rest in hopes of avoiding surgery this season.

I don't know what to do with him. He was supposed to have a big season and still might, but he's been more of a liability with his pinch-hitting and random days off.

I was offered Frank Thomas for him last week but I rejected it because I'll still have the same injury risk but with a .230 BA.

:-o
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:44 pm

duckmonkey wrote:So with putting him in at DH, are they saying that this injury hurts his throwing but not his batting?

That's exactly it. According to Gomes and the team his hitting is not affected in the least by this injury...only the throwing motion causes him problems. He could DH for the rest of his career without having issues with it.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Red Sox Nation » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:06 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
duckmonkey wrote:So with putting him in at DH, are they saying that this injury hurts his throwing but not his batting?

That's exactly it. According to Gomes and the team his hitting is not affected in the least by this injury...only the throwing motion causes him problems. He could DH for the rest of his career without having issues with it.

Perhaps, but does Tampa want him in the field sometimes? Maybe. In the end, he might need surgery.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:25 pm

Red Sox Nation wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:

Perhaps, but does Tampa want him in the field sometimes? Maybe. In the end, he might need surgery.

He'll probably have surgery at some point but it would be during an off-season to minimize the time off. They can afford to DH him for the remainder of the season since most if not all of the people pushing for playing time can play the same position (corner outfielder) that Gomes plays. It's not really hurting Tampa to have him at DH during the season so they'll revisit the surgery issue in the post-season. I would expect him to have surgery after the year this year but I haven't seen anyone say one way or the other yet.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates