HUGE Arod trade Rumor going around!!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

HUGE Arod trade Rumor going around!!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:29 pm

BronXBombers51 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Yeah well if you turned the choker into a Halladay/Wells or a Santana/Hunter I would be the first to show the choker to the door. Arod's 15-16 M a year the Yanks are responsible for is not that out of line for a player of his caliber nor would it be that difficult to unload.

Yeah, he's such a choker. You must be pissed that they got him in the first place, right? Lousy bum who never won anything in his life...

I know you're one of the ones who believes they should have kept Sorian.....oh wait, you hated him too. !+)

Quit complaining.

amen
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:13 am

There's no way in hell Andruw is being traded, let alone for Brian freaking Anderson and pitching prospects not named Mark Buehrle and Bobby Jenks. Please. He's a FA after next year, and would command a payraise of only 1-2 million dollars. The Braves will lose Thomson, Reitsma, and Sosa, totaling up to 6-8 Million dollars in capspace. That should be more than enough to re-up Andruw. Hudson's contract going up coincides with Hampton off the books, and Smoltz is off the books after next season.

Depending on ownership, I can see him being traded, but not for that kind of package, no way in hell this season, and it's not likely.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:32 am

As far Andruw Jones, it really sort of depends on where the Braves Farm System is and what their new owners are like. For a team that's uppr middle market, they can afford some stars, so they should have the bank to keep Jones, but again... If I had good guys on the way, I might be inclined to sign youngr guys I want to keep a long time than throw all that $ on one guy... And if a team gets desperate this week, they might throw some good prosepects.

If I owned the Braves, I'd try to renogiate right now a new deal, and if I can't come to terms, I trade him for prospects along with Smoltz now. To methe Braves are in rebuiling, not reloading stage... They just don't have the pitching and you can't just create a pitching staff out of thin air. They might be good again in 3 or 4 years, by that time, Snoltz is gone and Chipper (who would never leave Atlanta) and the Andruw will be getting a little long in the tooth when they're a playoff team again.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:40 am

To me, the ultimate model of what a team should be was the late 90s Yankees... A few stars, but a lot of good solid vets, some signed, some from their own farm, and emerging new starts like Jeter. But for the most part, that was a farm-built team at it's core.

Juust writing checks left and right and hanging on to every fan favorite no matter what is a sure way to a team bad eventually. To sign all the vets, that's $ taken away from the scouting system, not signing young kids to long term deals, etc... and those things you cut back on to keep the fan faves come back to haunt you later.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:43 am

Think about, Brosius, Knoblauch, Tino Martinez, a platoon of decent catchers and Paul O'Neal... That wasn't a star packed team, but they had the stars where it counted and those vets could play D and come up with big hits to help out.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Mashug » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:11 pm

johnsamo wrote:Think about, Brosius, Knoblauch, Tino Martinez, a platoon of decent catchers and Paul O'Neal... That wasn't a star packed team, but they had the stars where it counted and those vets could play D and come up with big hits to help out.

That was the ultimate team with the perfect type of mgr heading it up. The funny thing is that people were still whining about them "buying the pennant" back then. They didn't have the highest payroll in the game and were mostly home grown. Gene Michael also did a great job of trading for the right combo. If you notice, since their payroll took off, they haven't won a single World Series. Not that I'm complaining, I'll still take all those division titles and post season play anytime.

You can't blame George for trying, but if you're going to spend money, keep away from the Jaret Wright's of the league. 1 good year doesn't warrant a big contract and a spot in the rotation. And please do a charactor check before wasting $ on guys like Pavano who just seems scared to pitch in NY. I'd still take this metality over teams like the O's who rip off the fans with 90 losses and lame attempts at star players every year. Then they fire the mgr in August to deflect blame from the cheapskate owner. Unfortunately, he's not alone.

Part of the imbalance of the league is that woners don't give a damn. There should be a league min and max salary cap to avoid all this
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby brandnew » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:15 pm

Smoltz - Hudson - Hampton - Ramirez - James is a good rotation imo especially with Davies as well. They have some good young hitters in the minors, but Andruw is like the glue - the veteran stud who's still young enough to play with the kids in his prime years.

Doesn't make sense to go and trade away the team especially when they're so close. Giles is starting to hit like himself again, and the bullpen's future is bright with Startup, and Boyer and Devine potentially coming back next year healthy. It's been pretty decent of late, too with the additions of Sosa, Barry, Paronto
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby TheYanks04 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:23 pm

brandnew wrote:Smoltz - Hudson - Hampton - Ramirez - James is a good rotation imo especially with Davies as well. They have some good young hitters in the minors, but Andruw is like the glue - the veteran stud who's still young enough to play with the kids in his prime years.

Doesn't make sense to go and trade away the team especially when they're so close. Giles is starting to hit like himself again, and the bullpen's future is bright with Startup, and Boyer and Devine potentially coming back next year healthy. It's been pretty decent of late, too with the additions of Sosa, Barry, Paronto

Smoltz is very good...have the highest regard for him

After that though I think you are looking at thhat rotation through rose-colored glasses trying to put the best light on it. Hudson stinks. He is at the very best a poor number 3 now. Look what happened to him against the AL East teams. It was batting practice time.

Hampton missed all season after major injury and while he was a lot better just before getting hurt after de-Cooring himself, he is still not a great SP. At best another number 3.

Ramirez has some potential but he has not shown a whole lot as a starter the past few seasons.

James I am not all that familiar with.

Either way, their ace is 40 years old and they really have no one else to take over. If they want to compete, they need to add another big name SP imo and thse are not easy to come by.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby George_Foreman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:56 pm

Hampton commanded #1 dollars at one point, and while I'm not going to say he'll perform up to those standards now, it's not hard to say that the Braves could have a very good rotation next year. James has been lights out so far and, as long as he keeps the balls in the park, should be a fine major league pitcher. Horacio has been a very plesant surprise and could be one of the major successes of Roger McDowell (apperantly, McDowell convinced him to give up his cutter, which had lead to a lot of HRs last year), provided he doesn't revert in the second half. Davies is another guy with a lot of potential who won't be hurt next year. The Braves rotation is fine, and with Francoeur (hopefully) maturing a bit by next year, the lineup should be at least managable. If the pen gets fixed (and with key guys (Boyer, Devine) not being hurt, that doesn't seem, you know, out of the realm of possibility), you'll be looking at a contender at the least.

So no, the Braves aren't having a fire sale. I'm almost positive that Chipper won't be traded, and I think Smoltz being dealt is unlikely as well (although someone could just blow the Braves away if they're desperate for a strong SP in another few weeks). Andruw is more of a question mark since Atlanta has plenty of guys who could step over and play CF well (Francoeur, Langerhans) and I think its doubtful that he re-ups in two years. Still, it wouldn't be for prospects; the Braves would want a young bat who can either play in the OF or a coner IF spot. Hudson..... I don't know. He's definitely part of Atlanta's "plans" for the next few years, but he's been awful two out of three months thus far (fortunately, he was very good for almost all of May). Right now, I don't think the Braves would get squat for him, or at least not nearly enough to justify trading him. If anyone goes, I think it will be either Druw or Smoltz, but I really don't see Atlanta dealing anyone big. They may move Thomson if he starts being decent again or Marcus Giles, but those are probably the biggest names that will go anywhere.

edit: Oh, and how did a thread about a somewhat-interesting Yankee trade devolve into a discussion about Andruw Jones?

edit: If you want to see Chuck James, he's going against the Cards tonight. So far two scoreless innings with one walk. ;-D Also, here's a little thing Sickels wrote: link
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers