Billy Butler Questions - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Billy Butler Questions

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Billy Butler Questions

Postby Frappy » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:00 pm

1) Can he be up in the MLB this season? Maybe the Royals pull up some farm kids to put on a show for the fans. Im asking this becuase I only have Butler kept till the end of this season, then I got to keep him as one of my 8 MLB keepers if I want him for the 07' season.
2) Projections on Butler when in prime?
Frappy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:31 pm

Possibly a September call-up, but I don't see why they would do this with Butler. He's not ready quite yet, and that would be rushing him. They may bring him up to the big club but not have him play everyday - just have him get a sense of the environment and try and learn from guys who do it everyday.

And he's a guy with unlimited offensive potential, could be a Travis Hafner type. I see him hitting .300 with 35 homer potential, maybe more.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NatsFan10 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 7:07 pm

The Royals are in no hurry to rush him to the big leagues, especially now that Dayton Moore has taken over. Butler won't turn 21 until next April, so Moore and company should have no real sense of urgency to push him, especially considering that the team isn't in contention. I expect him to make him MLB appearance by All Star break of 07 at the earliest and opening day 08 at the latest.

I agree with rmande09 that Butler has unlimited offensive potential. He is a plus hitter for average and power and hasn't shown any real weaknesses at the plate at any level. He has a very advanced feel for hitting, here is a quote I found from a recent interview:

"BB: I don’t necessarily take after anybody. I have a certain approach which a lot of big leaguers probably have, which is that you don’t give at bats away and you don’t swing at a pitch that’s not yours unless you have to. And that keeps you from swinging at something that you have no business swinging at early in the count. If you’re looking for a certain pitch, you shouldn’t swing for another one early in the count. Late in the count, you might have to if you’re behind in the count. It’s all about just being a smart hitter."
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby flowbee » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:30 am

Woah, any relation to Brett Butler?
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JoshExley » Mon Apr 23, 2007 4:18 pm

This guy continues to rake at AAA.

Rotoworld wrote:Triple-A Omaha's Billy Butler went 3-for-5 with a homer, a double and four RBI on Sunday.
He's driven in 10 runs in four games. Overall, Butler is batting .344 with five homers, 20 RBI and an 8/12 K/BB ratio in 64 at-bats. He just turned 21 five days ago, but he's probably ready to hit in the majors right now.

Looking forward to Yahoo adding him to their database...
JoshExley
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby thedude » Mon Apr 23, 2007 8:50 pm

flowbee wrote:Woah, any relation to Brett Butler?

No.

The Royals also have a Billy Buckner in their system.
"I do not think baseball of today is any better than it was 30 years ago... I still think Radbourne is the greatest of the pitchers." John Sullivan 1914-Old athletes never change.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 2)

Postby SpecialFNK » Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:01 am

isnt it likely that the Royals do basically the same thing with Butler this season as they did with Gordon last season? that is dont call him up at all this season so his mlb clock doesnt start, and then start him opening day next season?
SpecialFNK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 83)

Postby J35J » Tue Apr 24, 2007 11:11 am

Hopefully they don't bring him up until Sept callups. I do think there is an outside chance (maybe 15%) that he gets called up around the all-star break but I don't think it is very likely. Moore is much more disciplined than Baird was and will stick to his guns.....which is to not rush guys up to the bigs. They really want Butler to stick in the OF and they don't want him to learn that with the big club.

Anyway, don't bank on many ABs from Butler this year....as far as upside prime I think Manny is a good comparison.
J35J
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 393)

Postby frankadelic » Sat Apr 28, 2007 8:44 pm

J35J wrote:Hopefully they don't bring him up until Sept callups. I do think there is an outside chance (maybe 15%) that he gets called up around the all-star break but I don't think it is very likely. Moore is much more disciplined than Baird was and will stick to his guns.....which is to not rush guys up to the bigs. They really want Butler to stick in the OF and they don't want him to learn that with the big club.

Anyway, don't bank on many ABs from Butler this year....as far as upside prime I think Manny is a good comparison.

thanks for the insights :-)
frankadelic
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby reiser » Sun Apr 29, 2007 1:07 am

J35J wrote:Hopefully they don't bring him up until Sept callups. I do think there is an outside chance (maybe 15%) that he gets called up around the all-star break but I don't think it is very likely. Moore is much more disciplined than Baird was and will stick to his guns.....which is to not rush guys up to the bigs. They really want Butler to stick in the OF and they don't want him to learn that with the big club.

woah! Manny! couldn't a Sanders trade open up a spot? also, you're dealing with Shealy/Sweeney, so I don't think a Butler callup is that out of the question. what is clear is that the Royals are seeking to avoid another Greinke rush job, and good for them.
reiser
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Minor League & College Baseball