Top 15 Prospects??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top 15 Prospects???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:30 am

Pelfrey's out pitch is a plus slider. His curve must not be very special, because I've seen him pitch a few times and I haven't seen/noticed it. Probably a show-me pitch.

As for Hughes, I saw him pitch last year and he was throwing the slider (at least that's what it looked like). Maybe they had him scrap it after the injury? Who knows. When I saw it, it was a pretty damn good pitch. Hopefully he'll get the call up to Columbus and I'll be able to check him out. I'd assume if he can throw a plus-slider, like he was doing, he has a good curveball. Sliders are generally much more difficult than curves.

I guess it's just our personal preference on Pelfrey/Billingsley. I'm not taking anything away from Billingsley, I think he's going to be nasty and be a Cy Young contender for years to come - I just think these three guys have higher ceilings.

Last thing - when talking of Billingsley's disappointing debut, I wasn't speaking of it from his development point of view, but more from his prospect status point of view (if that makes any sense). He has the poise and maturity (it seems) that the few things he will take from his big league stint are his mistakes - and he will learn from them. However, scouts and guys who do up the prospect lists can't really take this into consideration - they look at performance and ceiling. There's no way Billingsley's debut will help his prospect status - it might not hurt it much, but it won't help it - but I'm sure it'll help him as a pitcher.

I do think Bailey should be the highest of the four guys we've been discussing. Assuming he continues to have this type of year (obviously not 0 ERA with ridiculous K numbers), and he continues to mature, it would be hard to keep him out of that spot. IMO, he'd be a top 6 guy right now if the list were to come out today. I can't wait to see some of the mid-season prospect rankings.

It would have been much more fun if we decided to throw guys like Yovani Gallardo, Brandon Erbe, Radhames Liz, Garza, and Adenhart into the fire, 'cause I'm sure those guys are all over the place on everyones lists.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 05, 2006 2:50 am

I'll just have to wait till I see Pelfrey (hopefully this week) because if he does have a plus slider it would be an improvement obviously. When I have seen him it's always a plus FB to go with a very good change up, the breaking pitch was never a real big part. I've heard some say it would be better if he probably switched to a slider though.

However I must say I am a bit of a skeptic since no one else is really saying that great of things. In fact I just read an article on him and he doesn't mention a slider at all. This was about a month ago and just mentions really needing to work on his off speed stuff. Saying he has always for the most part been a big FB guy, and that his 2nd best pitch in his change, while his curve is his 3rd best.

The Yankees made Hughes learn a curve after he was drafted., cause they I think were being a bit cautious and didn't want him throing the slider a lot. Though you might be correct in seeing it more, as I believe they are letting him throw it more this year ... after not letting him in his first year.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby SwisherSweet » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:10 pm

1. Delmon Young
2. Alex Gordon
3. Justin Upton
4. Brandon Wood
5. Hunter Pence
6. Felix Pie
7. Andy Marte
8. Chris Young

Pitchers not listed already
1. Radhames Liz
2. Adam Miller
SwisherSweet
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Urbanist » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:39 pm

Maybin is top ten. Will be top 5 this time next year. Can't believe some people that others put before him. Like Reimhold........

He has the same neighborhod of talent, some even say better than Upton, but people put are willing to put Upton top 3 and Maybin is sometimes not even in anyones top 20. This is even when they are pretty much the same stat wise this year. From all that I've read People are much mor eimpressed with Maybin's attitude and work ethic than Uptons.

This is what hype does to people.
Urbanist
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:45 pm

Urbanist wrote:Maybin is top ten. Will be top 5 this time next year. Can't believe some people that others put before him. Like Reimhold........

He has the same neighborhod of talent, some even say better than Upton, but people put are willing to put Upton top 3 and Maybin is sometimes not even in anyones top 20. This is even when they are pretty much the same stat wise this year. From all that I've read People are much mor eimpressed with Maybin's attitude and work ethic than Uptons.

This is what hype does to people.

Ummm... Not to rain on your parade, but Upton's tools and potential are leaps and bounds better than EVERYONE in baseball. He's pretty much a complete freak of nature. Scouts have said he has better tools than ARod did at the same age, and we all know how ARod turned out.

Maybin has a similar tool-set, just dial it down a notch or two. People tend to adjust and progress at different speeds, and that may be why Maybin has better numbers than Upton does at the same point in their careers, but numbers aren't the end-all be-all when judging a prospect.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Minor League & College Baseball