Top 15 Prospects??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Top 15 Prospects???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Top 15 Prospects???

Postby hersch223 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:52 pm

I was just curious who everyone's top-15 prospects currently in the minors are. I've got a small farm-draft coming up and could really use some help, so I figured "Ask the cafe, those guys know their stuff".

I know guys like Delmon, Drew, Kendrick, Butler, but was curious if there were any names that don't get attention that I should look into.
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:07 pm

1. Delmon
2. Brandon Wood
3. Stephen Drew
4. Alex Gordon
5. Justin Upton
6. Howie Kendrick
7. Lastings Milledge
8. Andy LaRoche
9. Billy Butler
10. The D'backs crew: Chris Young, Carlos Quentin, Carlos Gonzalez
11. Jay Bruce (far away, but absolute stud)
12. Elvis Andrus (too young, but ridiculous potential - don't suggest drafting him)
13. Nolan Riemold
14. Hunter Pence
15. Ryan Braun

1. Mike Pelfrey, Philip Hughes, Homer Bailey (I'd probably draft as many of these guys as possible)

2. Chad Billingsley
3. Yovani Gallardo
4. Jason Hirsh
5. Ubaldo Jimenez
6. Dustin McGowan
7. John Danks
8. Gio Gonzalez
9. Jeff Niemann
10. Nick Adenhart

After the top 5 guys (Pelfrey, Hughes, Bailey, Billingsley, Gallardo) I'd say it's a crapshoot. Adenhart should be up higher, Jimenez should be lower, I completely forgot Garza, Niemann has made only a couple starts this year and there are probably tons of guys who deserve mentioning that I forgot (Brandon Erbe, Radhames Liz). Jason Hirsh is a STUD in the making, he gets lost in all the talk about the big three and this years rookie class. Jimenez may have his value dropped a little because of his affiliation (Coors) but he has electric stuff. Danks is also the best of the DVD trio in Texas, I don't think it's even close.

As for the hitters, my favorite prospects are Butler and Gordon. Gordon is going to be one of the best 3Bman in baseball, falling into the category with Wright, ARod, and MCab. Sorry if I missed anyone.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hersch223 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:21 pm

Wow, that's just what I'm looking for, thanks! ;-D
I think the worst time to have a heart attack is during a game of charades...or a game of fake heart attack.
hersch223
College Coach
College Coach

Postby birdmandig » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:15 pm

1. Delmon Young
2. Billy Butler
3. Howie Kendrick
4. Alex Gordon
5. Justin Upton
6. Stephen Drew
7. Ryan Braun
8. Marcus Sanders
9. BrandonWood
10. Evan Longoria
11. Jay Bruce
12. Kevin Kouzmanoff
13. Nolan Riemold
14. Hunter Pence
15. Cameron Maybin

1. Homer Bailey
2. Chad Billingsley
3. Yovani Gallardo
4. Mike Pelfrey
5. Philip Hughes
6. Nick Adenhart
7. Anibal Sanchez
8. Gio Gonzalez
9. Daisuke Matsuzaka JAP
10. Jason Hirsh
birdmandig
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 2)

Postby NatsFan10 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:04 pm

This is my top 12, I would define this group as the top tier in terms of prospects.

1. Justin Upton
2. Alex Gordon
3. Brandon Wood
4. Delmon Young
5. Howie Kendrick
6. Homer Bailey
7. Philip Hughes
8. Billy Butler
9. Mike Pelfrey
10. Stephen Drew
11. Troy Tulowitzki
12. Cameron Maybin
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:32 pm

I do find it interesting how soon people can downgrade prospects, specifically Billingsley based on his breif MLB experience. Anyways I'll give a top 15 to try and help when I have a bit more time.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:45 pm

hybrid wrote:I do find it interesting how soon people can downgrade prospects, specifically Billingsley based on his breif MLB experience. Anyways I'll give a top 15 to try and help when I have a bit more time.

I agree. He wasn't ready when he came up, which is why he didn't have much success. Still a top-top prospect, though I feel he has fallen behind the "Big Three."

I also forgot Tulowitzki from my list, which is shocking, I'm a huge fan and even own him in my keeper league. He's the 3rd best SS prospect, and I'd probably rank him right around 10 on my list of positional prospects.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby hybrid » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:03 pm

rmande09 wrote:I agree. He wasn't ready when he came up, which is why he didn't have much success. Still a top-top prospect, though I feel he has fallen behind the "Big Three."

Since you responded, how exactly in your opinion has he fallen behind the "Big 3"?
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:32 pm

hybrid wrote:
rmande09 wrote:I agree. He wasn't ready when he came up, which is why he didn't have much success. Still a top-top prospect, though I feel he has fallen behind the "Big Three."

Since you responded, how exactly in your opinion has he fallen behind the "Big 3"?

Sorry, he hasn't fallen behind. They have gone ahead. Billingsley has lost his control a little bit (4+ BB/9 at AAA), and has been good, but not dominant. Granted, he's still young and in his first year at AAA. His performance in the Majors, though not ready, does not help his prospect status.

Hughes, who just turned 20, has been unreal at A+ and AA. He has plus-plus control and has an exceptionally low BAA, two traits that will complement each other very well. Minus his first couple of starts at AA, Hughes has been lights out and has "broken" through into elite prospect status this season.

Pelfrey, who is 22, has been excellent in his first full season in the pros. Was awesome at A+ with St. Lucie, and again, after a rough outing or two to start his AA career, has been dominant. This less than a year after he was facing middle-of-the-pack college offenses at Wichita State. Control has been a little iffy at AA, averaging around 3.5 BB/9, which is not really bad at all. Lights out stuff as well.

Bailey is my favorite of the three, and is the top pitching prospect in baseball, in my opinion. In his second full season, had a rough start adjusting to A+ in Sarasota. Found his rhythm after April and was dominant. Great control (under 3 BB/9), great BAA, high K rates, two plus-plus pitches. Got the promotion to AA not too long ago, and after three starts, has been UNREAL. No adjusting period, went right in to AA and dominated more advanced, polished hitters from the get-go. 17 innings in 3 starts, a .133 BAA (!!!), only 4 walks, and 22 strikeouts. Hard to argue against that as a 20 year old playing above his age.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby NatsFan10 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:58 pm

hybrid wrote:I do find it interesting how soon people can downgrade prospects, specifically Billingsley based on his breif MLB experience. Anyways I'll give a top 15 to try and help when I have a bit more time.

if you're referring to me, i'm not including anyone in my list that is in MLB.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball