Buying Autographed Baseball stuff off ebay.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Buying Autographed Baseball stuff off ebay....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:18 pm

MMoNeY24 wrote:
statsman88 wrote:if you get a ball signed at a ballgame, is there any way to get a COA?

I think taking a picture counts, but I'm not 100% sure since I don't really buy or sell autos.

They help but not much to me. The pic proves nothing to me.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:35 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:
statsman88 wrote:if you get a ball signed at a ballgame, is there any way to get a COA?

I think taking a picture counts, but I'm not 100% sure since I don't really buy or sell autos.

Yeah if I have a pic of RJ signing some random ball I could say that it was my ball and fake his autograph a bunch of times and use that picture as "proof."
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Lofunzo » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:45 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Lofunzo wrote:
MMoNeY24 wrote:

Yeah if I have a pic of RJ signing some random ball I could say that it was my ball and fake his autograph a bunch of times and use that picture as "proof."

That's why it means nothing to me. ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby RynMan » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:18 am

I figured I'd share what I have learnt since I started this thread.

Just because a seller on ebay guarantees a COA and has good feedback, doesn't mean that it is legitimate. Plenty of ebay sellers have been busted for selling fakes, although their feedback was extremely high - it's usually the customer service aspect under review (how quickly the item arrived, its condition etc), the customer doesn't even suspect a fake autograph.

Apparently, if you get an item signed, you can have it authenticated by companies like Steiner Sports etc and they will give it the tick of approval and give you a COA. They claim to have technology that helps them do it - but really, if a player is in a hurry and does a bad signature, it might not come up as authentic, and it's your loss.

I guess there really isn't ever any way of knowing. The conclusion that I have come to is that if someone is willing to pay 'x' amount of money for a signature, fake or real, then that is what the ball is worth. It's sad, but the harsh reality. :-/
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:05 pm

RynMan wrote:

I figured I'd share what I have learnt since I started this thread.

Just because a seller on ebay guarantees a COA and has good feedback, doesn't mean that it is legitimate. Plenty of ebay sellers have been busted for selling fakes, although their feedback was extremely high - it's usually the customer service aspect under review (how quickly the item arrived, its condition etc), the customer doesn't even suspect a fake autograph.

Apparently, if you get an item signed, you can have it authenticated by companies like Steiner Sports etc and they will give it the tick of approval and give you a COA. They claim to have technology that helps them do it - but really, if a player is in a hurry and does a bad signature, it might not come up as authentic, and it's your loss.

I guess there really isn't ever any way of knowing. The conclusion that I have come to is that if someone is willing to pay 'x' amount of money for a signature, fake or real, then that is what the ball is worth. It's sad, but the harsh reality. :-/

interesting...I'm not really into autographs but ebay seems a little sketchy to buy them on and I love ebay
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Previous

Return to General Talk