Yanks release veteran IF Todd Zeile - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yanks release veteran IF Todd Zeile

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Yanks release veteran IF Todd Zeile

Postby pkarr5000 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 2:44 pm

The New York Yankees on Sunday released infielder Todd Zeile, a veteran of 10 major league teams.

With the acquisition of third baseman Aaron Boone last month and the return of first baseman Nick Johnson from the disabled list, Zeile's role with the Yankees diminished.

The Yankees signed Zeile as a free agent with the intention of using him as a righthanded hitting complement to Robin Ventura at third base. Zeile also was being used at first base as a backup to Jason Giambi when Johnson was sidelined for two months with a broken hand.

But the Yankees acquired the younger Boone and traded Ventura last month, placing less of a need for the 38-year-old Zeile, who had just two at-bats in New York's last seven games.

"It's a tough day," said Yanks manager Joe Torre, who always has been a big supporter of Zeile. "I convinced him to come here in December because I thought it would be a good situation for him. But once we got Boone, who is an everyday guy, Zeile wasn't going to get his once or twice a week at third, and first base was out for him when Nick came back."

Zeile hit just .210 with six homers and 23 RBI in 186 at-bats for the Yankees.

"I wanted to come to an organization with the best chance to win," said Zeile. "The sacrifice I was going to make was limited playing time. I thought it would be worth the sacrifice."

Zeile spent last season with the Colorado Rockies and batted .273 with 18 homers and 87 RBI. He collected his 1,000th career RBI during the 2002 campaign.

But the 15-year veteran is best known for holding the major league record of homering for 10 different teams. He also holds the record for most home runs (239) by a player whose name begins with the letter 'Z.'

During his major league career, Zeile has compiled 1,056 RBI while playing for St. Louis, the Chicago Cubs, Philadelphia, Baltimore, Los Angeles, Florida, Texas, the New York Mets, Rockies and Yankees.

The Yankees recalled reliever Jorge DiPaula from Class AAA Columbus of the International League to replace Zeile
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Slugger2K4 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:19 pm

:,-( .... :~(

:*)
[color=darkblue][b]Alex Rodriguez Home Run Count: [u]345[/u][/b][/color]
[color=red][b]Albert Pujols Home Run Count: [u]114[/u][/b][/color]
Slugger2K4
College Coach
College Coach

Postby DieHardCubbie » Sun Aug 17, 2003 8:33 pm

I have always liked Zeile...I hope things work out for the best for him..... ;-D
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Re: Yanks release veteran IF Todd Zeile

Postby MashinSpuds » Sun Aug 17, 2003 10:40 pm

My favorite part of the article:

pkarr5000 wrote:But the 15-year veteran is best known for holding the major league record of homering for 10 different teams. He also holds the record for most home runs (239) by a player whose name begins with the letter 'Z.'

Way to go Zeile. I like your 'best known' stat. Now's your chance to keep the record going, pal.
MashinSpuds
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerEagle EyeCafecaster
(Past Year: 109)

Re: Yanks release veteran IF Todd Zeile

Postby Slugger2K4 » Sun Aug 17, 2003 11:52 pm

MashinSpuds wrote:Way to go Zeile. I like your 'best known' stat. Now's your chance to keep the record going, pal.

That's Harsh! :-P
[color=darkblue][b]Alex Rodriguez Home Run Count: [u]345[/u][/b][/color]
[color=red][b]Albert Pujols Home Run Count: [u]114[/u][/b][/color]
Slugger2K4
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Baseball Leftovers