Mike Pelfrey next young Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Pelfrey next young Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MightyMets » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:05 am

minaya (GM) has stated that pelfrey is not in their plans this year. The Mets will do anything to not start him (i.e Start Lima). As a met fan i agree with this, let the kid mature and be ready next year to join the big club.
MightyMets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby hybrid » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:13 am

MightyMets wrote:minaya (GM) has stated that pelfrey is not in their plans this year. The Mets will do anything to not start him (i.e Start Lima). As a met fan i agree with this, let the kid mature and be ready next year to join the big club.

He might of said that at the beginning of the year, but it's defiantly past tense. Things change and he has been talking w/ Randolph and they are saying he is defiantly in the mix for being possibly called up. If it wasn't true then he would be pitching in the Futures Game, but the Mets told them to keep him out in case they wanted to use him.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby MightyMets » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:16 am

he's definetly in the mix and your points are correct; but in no way is he assured of starting on Saturday as these papers are reporting; and just the way the mets management acts and after righting the ship with 2 straight W's expect Maine and Lima is all im saying.
MightyMets
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby fitz0527 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:21 am

rlee wrote:Looks like we won't know how major league ready he is right now. The Mets called up Jose Lima today :-o Can you believe that? I think Omar had a 4th of July cocktail too many %-6

I watched Jose Lima from a distance of 5 feet away pitch against the Paw Sox he was not impressive at all!
fitz0527
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 9)

Postby garf112 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 10:14 am

fitz0527 wrote:
rlee wrote:Looks like we won't know how major league ready he is right now. The Mets called up Jose Lima today :-o Can you believe that? I think Omar had a 4th of July cocktail too many %-6

I watched Jose Lima from a distance of 5 feet away pitch against the Paw Sox he was not impressive at all!

I am very depressed to see Jose Lima get called up again. I can't wait for Pelfrey to get the call. Hopefully, we will be watching him on Saturday.
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

Postby NikeTxGuy » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:39 am

brandnew wrote:Possibly... just another stud rookie pitcher.

I'm torn on whether he'll stay up in the show though...

You've got to wonder tho, will he end up developing stud-like numbers like Liriano or dud-like numbers like in Hamels???
C-Wieters/McCann 1B-Freeman 2B-Kipnis 3B-Trumbo SS-Segura OF-C.Gonzalez OF-Trout OF-Dunn UT-Bourn UT-Andrus
BN:McLouth-Wieters-Arenado

(SP) Kershaw-Moore-Corbin-Buchholz-T.Wood-Fernandez-Teheran
(RP) Rivera-J.Johnson-Gregg-Robertson
NikeTxGuy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:47 pm

NikeTxGuy wrote:
brandnew wrote:Possibly... just another stud rookie pitcher.

I'm torn on whether he'll stay up in the show though...

You've got to wonder tho, will he end up developing stud-like numbers like Liriano or dud-like numbers like in Hamels???

In time, he should have stud like numbers. He might struggle a bit from the get go though, as he is only one year out of college.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Amazinz » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:55 pm

Minaya did say that Pelfrey was not in the Mets plans this year but it's taken out of context. What Minaya said was that he was operating as if Pelfrey would not be ready because they didn't want to rush him.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jul 06, 2006 2:59 pm

If Lima gets the start then at least have his wife jump up and down next to him when he pitches
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby garf112 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 3:59 pm

Mike Pelfrey (SP), NYM - Recalled
07/06/06 Posted: 10:21 AM PST
News: According to several NY papers, the Mets have promoted thier top pitching prospet Mike Pelfrey to the majors. Pelfrey will either start Friday or Saturday against the Flordia Marlins. In 12 starts at AA-Binghamton, Pelfrey is 4-2 with a 2.71 ERA and 77 strikeouts.

Views: With Pedro Martinez suffering from an injured hip and likely to go on the DL for a week or so, the Mets find themselves a spot in the rotation that needs filling. Pelfrey is the most obvious candidate after a poor recent performance by Alay Soler. Pelfrey throws a 94-97 mph fastball, an above average slider, and a decent curve and changeup. He has been recently working on his secondary pitches in AA and scouts say they have drastically improved over the last month. If everything goes well, Pelfrey could soon find himself as a permanent member of the Mets rotation.

(Fantasy Info Central)
Join Pennant Wars today! A simulated fantasy baseball game where you are the General Manager.

http://www.pennantwars.com/index.php?r= ... &user=2163
garf112
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 38)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers