Mike Pelfrey next young Ace? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Mike Pelfrey next young Ace?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:32 am

Coppermine wrote:I mean come on, I don't even know what his minor league numbers are. He's obviously going to be a little overhyped being in New York, but he could just as easily be a [I can't even remember his name; that Cardinals pitcher that one day just couldn't throw a strike anymore] as he could be a worthless, perennial DL candidate like Prior/Wood.

Actions speak louder than words; I look forward to seeing him pitch, but he's not nearly as hyped up, even this year, as Jered Weaver, Chad Billingsley, Liriano or Verlander.

He's actually under-hyper (if that's a word). He gets no where near as much praise as he should - he's got stuff that will probably dominate right away. Outside of Liriano, Verlander, and King, this guy will be the best young pitcher making his debut this year. I must say I am very excited to see this kid pitch this weekend.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby rlee » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:47 am

I have read where most scouts do not think he's "major league ready" at this point. His second and third pitches still need work. Nor do the Mets think he's quite ready, but they'll probably take a shot on him this weekend because their only other option is Jose Lima 8-o .
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby dyuen87 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:54 am

Pelfrey is probably not ready, but he's close. He was an advanced college scout, which means his stuff is already more polished than most players to come out of that draft. He is pitching well in AA after dominating A. Although i probably cant get him w/ my #9 waiver :-/ , should still be great to see the future of the OTHER Big Apple team.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:50 pm

The reason you haven't heard as much about Mike Pelfrey is because he was just drafted last year, and was late to sign... That being said:
He is a polished College pitcher, and has been compared to Ben Sheets in college...(Pelfrey is from Wichita State)

He has posted very good numbers in both A, and AA this season, and probably isn't "Major League" ready... but you never know (College pitchers are much further along).. F'Her wasn't, "Major League" ready second half of last year, and did pretty good after the Allstar break ;-D Mark Prior sure did make a quick rise to the Big's, with tons of success..(Before getting overworked, and injured) :-o

Looking forward to see him pitch in the Show, but I'll temper my expectations... It was just food for thought! :*)
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:58 pm

Know what would suck...him pitching like 4 inning and not qualifying an add to most fantasy databases since often times they require a pitcher to pitch 5 innings. HAHAHAAHAHAAAHA :-/
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 143)

Postby Purple Haze » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:04 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Know what would suck...him pitching like 4 inning and not qualifying an add to most fantasy databases since often times they require a pitcher to pitch 5 innings. HAHAHAAHAHAAAHA :-/

well if he only pitches 4 innings, it would be because he sucked it up, and wouldn't be worth adding anyway :-P
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rlee » Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:57 pm

Looks like we won't know how major league ready he is right now. The Mets called up Jose Lima today :-o Can you believe that? I think Omar had a 4th of July cocktail too many %-6
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker

Postby brandnew » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:17 am

They still have more spots for pitchers for him to pitch.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby hybrid » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:04 am

He looks to be rumored to start possibly on Friday now, but obviously that isn't a sure thing at this point. I look forward to see how much he has improved since ST, he looked good but his breaking pitch wasn't where it needed to be.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby Purple Haze » Wed Jul 05, 2006 7:08 pm

Latest News Jul. 5, 2006 - 10:46 am et

Pedro Martinez will test his sore hip with a bullpen session on Wednesday and then decide if he is healthy enough to start on Saturday.
We doubt the Mets will have Pedro pitch on Saturday. The extra rest is more important than Saturday's game. If he can't make the start Mike Pelfrey is expected to be called up to start in his place.
Source: New York Daily News

Doubleheader on Saturday... Looks like it is gonna happen!

Here is wishing for the best ;-D
Purple Haze
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers