Any Jered Weaver doubters still out there? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any Jered Weaver doubters still out there?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Starkmadfan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:13 am

Incredible analysis and discussion on this thread ;-D - I am more than convinced after reading this thread that he is someone special and I am looking forward to when I can catch one of his games on TV. I was tempted to trade him after his 2-0 return, but no way do I want that regret hanging over me for the rest of the season.
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Silicone & Muffins » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:59 am

Picked up Jered in both of my leagues and am enjoying every minute of it. Let's hope it continues in the 2nd half.
Cardinals fan for life, Liriano groupie for now
Silicone & Muffins
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby spacehamster01 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:43 am

I was watching his game against the A's. He was flat out dominating them 8-o .
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Mon Jul 10, 2006 10:42 am

Looking at stat anaylsis of Jered and Jeff --- it looks like the former has been the beneficiary of great luck and and the latter of a bout of bad luck.

Jered has pitched extraordinarily well. No desire to diminish that. But he has been helped a lot by an unsustainably low hit and strand rates. Luck, skill and the fact that most of the hitters he has faced haven't seen him much certainly plays into that data. I think Baseball HQ has his expected ERA at about 3.30.

Still pretty darn good.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Starkmadfan » Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:36 pm

d18Mike wrote:Looking at stat anaylsis of Jered and Jeff --- it looks like the former has been the beneficiary of great luck and and the latter of a bout of bad luck.

Jered has pitched extraordinarily well. No desire to diminish that. But he has been helped a lot by an unsustainably low hit and strand rates. Luck, skill and the fact that most of the hitters he has faced haven't seen him much certainly plays into that data. I think Baseball HQ has his expected ERA at about 3.30.

Still pretty darn good.

Wasn't it Napoleon who said "I don't care how skilled he is, is he lucky?" :-b - If this kid has that intangible going for him, more power to him ;-D
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Mashug » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:56 pm

d18Mike wrote:Looking at stat anaylsis of Jered and Jeff --- it looks like the former has been the beneficiary of great luck and and the latter of a bout of bad luck.

Still pretty darn good.

Unless you're a closer, you need luck to post such a Low ERA and WHIP
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TEKTON » Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:09 pm

smart pitcher, he would not go near the big hurt during the A's game. pitched around him and went to the next batter with no worries.
TEKTON
College Coach
College Coach

Postby johnsamo » Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:33 pm

He's getting better too... The last 3 games, 21 innings, he's given up 1 run. And yeah, if the game is close and a hot power hitter is up (Thomas had a walk off homer the night before), he'll walk him, but those are the only guys he walks. His K rate isn't impressive as it could be, because if you're a weaker hitter and nobody is on base, which is almost always the case when he pitches, he's trying to get you out on contact. If he gets two strikes, he goes for the K, but he'd rather get a contact out in the first couple of pitches. That means he'll give up the occassional seeing eye single, but the odds are on his side, and if you get on, he takes it up a notch and throws much nastier stuff.

It's really hard to believe he's a rookie. rooks aren't usually that smart and are usually trying to impress with a lot of Ks (especially the weaker hitters), but Weaver is playing the odds, trying to get outs with the least amount of pitches as possible. That's a really rare approach. Most pitchers either try for cheap outs all the time or they're aggressive go for K types, Weaver is both depending on the situation.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LoudmouthApostle » Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:24 pm

johnsamo wrote:He's getting better too... The last 3 games, 21 innings, he's given up 1 run. And yeah, if the game is close and a hot power hitter is up (Thomas had a walk off homer the night before), he'll walk him, but those are the only guys he walks. His K rate isn't impressive as it could be, because if you're a weaker hitter and nobody is on base, which is almost always the case when he pitches, he's trying to get you out on contact. If he gets two strikes, he goes for the K, but he'd rather get a contact out in the first couple of pitches. That means he'll give up the occassional seeing eye single, but the odds are on his side, and if you get on, he takes it up a notch and throws much nastier stuff.

It's really hard to believe he's a rookie. rooks aren't usually that smart and are usually trying to impress with a lot of Ks (especially the weaker hitters), but Weaver is playing the odds, trying to get outs with the least amount of pitches as possible. That's a really rare approach. Most pitchers either try for cheap outs all the time or they're aggressive go for K types, Weaver is both depending on the situation.

It's great though that having said the above he is still averaging nearly a K per inning (as he has consistently done at all levels) and has a 5:1 K:Walk ratio. Good stuff, too bad he gets no start this week :-(
LoudmouthApostle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Starkmadfan » Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:30 pm

LoudmouthApostle wrote:
johnsamo wrote:He's getting better too... The last 3 games, 21 innings, he's given up 1 run. And yeah, if the game is close and a hot power hitter is up (Thomas had a walk off homer the night before), he'll walk him, but those are the only guys he walks. His K rate isn't impressive as it could be, because if you're a weaker hitter and nobody is on base, which is almost always the case when he pitches, he's trying to get you out on contact. If he gets two strikes, he goes for the K, but he'd rather get a contact out in the first couple of pitches. That means he'll give up the occassional seeing eye single, but the odds are on his side, and if you get on, he takes it up a notch and throws much nastier stuff.

It's great though that having said the above he is still averaging nearly a K per inning (as he has consistently done at all levels) and has a 5:1 K:Walk ratio. Good stuff, too bad he gets no start this week :-(

From RotoWire:
Weaver's next start will come next Monday at Cleveland, as he'll be Anaheim's fourth starter after the break. He'll also pitch against Kansas City later that week.

Yeah, but it looks like he's getting 2 starts the following week ;-D
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates