Any Jered Weaver doubters still out there? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Any Jered Weaver doubters still out there?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcliffy2 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:01 am

You forgot Dwight Gooden. I try to block him out too.

And John Tudor...same year.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Drop Glavine?

Postby mcliffy2 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:02 am

LoaferGee wrote:Think I should be dropping Glavine for this guy?

(a) is he seriously still on your WW????

and (b) definitely get him, no doubt...but I have to think you have someone worse than Glavine.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Members Only Jackets » Sun Jul 09, 2006 4:03 am

I doubted him because of his last name....and I even declined a trade offer for him early on (HUGE MISTAKE!!!)..but at least I got him in 2 non keepers.

He has good command w/ a nice K's...seems like even the scouts underrated him. He looks far better than Billingsly, Sowers & Reyes to name a few.
Members Only Jackets
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Mashug » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:11 am

I still say we'll find out more about him after he has a bad game. My guess is that he'll bounce back without a problem. The kid is confident and very poised on the mound. He looks like the opposite of his brother. Has better stuff too.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mcliffy2 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:33 am

Mashug wrote:I still say we'll find out more about him after he has a bad game. My guess is that he'll bounce back without a problem. The kid is confident and very poised on the mound. He looks like the opposite of his brother. Has better stuff too.

After being sent back to AAA he got rocked in his 1st start. Then promptly threw a complete game w/ 14 Kand a 6 inning victory w/ 11 K. How's that for a bounce back?
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:38 pm

I think the first minor league call back game was a "don't exert yourself too much" start, then the next one (the near no hitter) was a "get ready again for the show" outing.

At some point, he's gonna have some bad luck and teams will adjust a bit, but there's only so much adjusting you can do to his stuff.

Last night was textbook example of how you can't predict what he'll throw. He head Jay Payton 0 an 2 with his typical fouled off strikes on the outside then inside edge by changing speed. Everybody and their Uncle knows he's gonna waste one, probably low and away junk or something high he'll chase. Instead, Weaver throws his first plus fastball 4 seamer of the night on the inside corner for a called strike and the third out. Payton has this look like "Why the hell did you throw that? Nobody brings the heat inside on 0 and 2?" Meanwhile Weaver is walking to the dugout....

He can throw so many pitches for strikes, he's not predicatable, even on hitter counts. I think the scouts missjusdged him becuase he doesn't have a lights out pitch, his stuff is just VERY tough to hit in terms of his pinpint location, varied pitches and speeds. And he doesn't give up stupid walks. only 2 yesterday, a CAREER HIGH in walks for him, but they were both Frank THomas who killed us the night before. He's not walking the Jason Kendalls.

As for the scouts, it didn't help that his last name was Weaver. Willie Mays probably had a brother who coudn't hit well, but when you're the older brother is an iconsistent location pticher, scouts assume you'll be inconsistent too. Jered isn't. He's Madduxish, but a more deceptive windup and a better plus fastball. When you look at his microscopic ERA, you gotta understand he's only given up those runs when he had big leads. When the outcome has been in question, nobody has touched him.

The wierd thing is, as good as I think he is, I don't think he'll throw a no hitter unless he's in a close game. If you're a weak hitter and there's nobody on, he's not trying to K you, he'll just put it somewhere you can't hit it hard and he'll play the odds that you're going to ground out, pop up or fly out. It's only if you're a good hitter or if somebody is in base that he goes for the K.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:54 pm

anyways the answer to the original question is: a resounding NO
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby rmande09 » Sun Jul 09, 2006 1:35 pm

Saw him last night for the first time since earlier this season (only on TV last night): He was NASTY. I'm not about to completely retract what I said, but if he pitches like that all the time, he'll be an ace. He's not afraid to throw anything at any point in time - and they're letting him call pitches on his own. I was very, very impressed after last nite.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby DeadWinterDay » Sun Jul 09, 2006 2:16 pm

He has been compared time and time again to Greg Maddux.

Not bad company to be with.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby LoudmouthApostle » Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:44 pm

Couldn't agree more. This kid has a handful of average or plus pitches but no one electric out pitch (but having so many options makes him electric). He changes speed like a veteran and his control (especially on the black seemingly whenever he wants) is precise. Oh, and he has a delivery that allows deception and hiding of the ball just a bit more than typical pitchers. Add that all together and he is looking like strong #2 or possible #1 pitcher in the Bigs for a long time.

I also like that his statisics seem steady throughout his college/minor league/major league career so far. He has a fantastic K/BB rate, has nearly a K/IP, gives up a high percentage of fly balls and occassionally they go for a home run but due to low WHIP these are typically solo or 2 run HRs. He doesn't mind challenging hitters as better then 70% of the time the hitter is going to be out if the ball is in play. When he gets ahead in the count with two streaks he is very impressive on going after the K.

I'm happy owner of Baby Weaver as a keeper in my most important league. Fun to watch him pitch too (I've watched a couple starts on TV, a couple on Internet and was at the King Felix/Weaver game in Seattle).
LoudmouthApostle
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates