abreu - any power left in the tank? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

abreu - any power left in the tank?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby sixer03fan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:07 pm

as a phillies fan myself i can concur that it was phillies fans that drove rolen outta here. and yes it is annoying hearing everyone call in to 610 WIP radio to complain about everything!

-rollins sucks
-burrells a b*tch in the clutch
-abreu doesnt care
-gillick's a dumb ass
-ryan franklin ryan franklin RYAN FRANKLIN
-manuel is a joke
-brett myers...

and the list goes on, every day 24/7 this goes on. there is no positive energy at all. sometimes you can get into it but most of the time its just annoying.

however, there's a point to all of this. we phillie fans are just impatient. there hasnt been a championship in this city in almost 25 years, the 1983 76ers. for such a diehard sports town it's heartbreaking. think about it, 1983 was 23 years ago. multiply that by 4 sports (phillies, flyers, sixers, eagles) and thats 92 seasons of losing. we have a right to complain with impatience, and to not have faith in the management of our teams. i mean come on, a team from edmonton won a championship before us! its getting ridiculous. we've been through some pretty bad times (the charles barkley trade, terrell owens, ed wade, joe carter off mitch williams) and the list goes on... it really sucks.

i mean seriously, i hate when all these red sox "fans" complain about being "cursed" by the great bambino... why dont you open your eyes. you've had the greatest basketball team ever and one of the greatest football teams ever win what seems like 100's of championships during this "curse." and you cubs fans....okay seriously ever hear of a guy named michael jordan? scottie pippen? phil jackson? you can't complain because you've had these guys go to war for you and bring championships to chicago. phillies fans have no taste of what that is like, and the future doesnt look any brighter. the sixers are gonna trade AI and start to rebuild, the eagles are on the downside of their NFC dominance, the flyers are old and will never be able to get the right team on the ice, and the phillies...well you get the picture.

so while i say that phillies fans are annoying and way too negative, why should they be positive about anything?
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:37 pm

Man I love stirring the Phillies fan pot!

I would agree with just about all that's been said; management's inept, Abreu is a lousy outfielder, Rollins isn't a true leadoff hitter and although Rolen left Philly on his own, Wagner wanted out because of a "lack of fan appreciation." Whatever, they're all whiners; the Phillies players and fans alike.

Personally, I like watching the Phils play. Not so much on TV, Harry Kalas makes me nauseous, but I've always felt a slight affinity to them since that great '93 team.

Philadelphia is a place where the people are hardcore about their teams; and if the teams aren't winning, Philly fans take it personally. They're definitely unique at least because to me it's more whining than cheering; of course Pat Gillick isn't really getting the job done and Charlie of Mayberry gets torn a new one in the Philly Inquirer every week.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Tis » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:17 am

Sanjoseninerfan wrote:Corey Patterson is the new Bobby Abreu.

Ironic, hehe, over the couple weeks or so Corey has been starting on my team while Abreu is cooling his slumping butt on the bench.
Tis
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:57 am

its funny how multiple posts have now been started about how philly fans are whiners rah rah rah but it soon turns into how they deserve to be...so why criticize and then rationalize?? you obviously feel apathy for those who are suffering, so let them (us) be. :-/

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Super Manny » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:23 pm

sixer03fan wrote:however, there's a point to all of this. we phillie fans are just impatient. there hasnt been a championship in this city in almost 25 years, the 1983 76ers. for such a diehard sports town it's heartbreaking. think about it, 1983 was 23 years ago. multiply that by 4 sports (phillies, flyers, sixers, eagles) and thats 92 seasons of losing. we have a right to complain with impatience, and to not have faith in the management of our teams. i mean come on, a team from edmonton won a championship before us! its getting ridiculous. we've been through some pretty bad times (the charles barkley trade, terrell owens, ed wade, joe carter off mitch williams) and the list goes on... it really sucks.

i mean seriously, i hate when all these red sox "fans" complain about being "cursed" by the great bambino... why dont you open your eyes. you've had the greatest basketball team ever and one of the greatest football teams ever win what seems like 100's of championships during this "curse." and you cubs fans....okay seriously ever hear of a guy named michael jordan? scottie pippen? phil jackson? you can't complain because you've had these guys go to war for you and bring championships to chicago. phillies fans have no taste of what that is like, and the future doesnt look any brighter. the sixers are gonna trade AI and start to rebuild, the eagles are on the downside of their NFC dominance, the flyers are old and will never be able to get the right team on the ice, and the phillies...well you get the picture.

so while i say that phillies fans are annoying and way too negative, why should they be positive about anything?

Try being a Cleveland fan... :-t

Last World Series Championship (Indians) - 1948
Last NBA Title (Cavaliers) - NEVER (Team founded in 1970)
Last NFL Championship (Browns) - 1964 (Pre-Super Bowl era)

The Fumble, The Drive, The Catch, Game Seven and Mesa, The Move to Baltimore, Jordan's Shot Over Ehlo, First Round Pick woes (Couch, Warren, Brown, etc.)...

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby stumpak » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:30 pm

Back to Abreu, he has been really subpar for a full year now dating back to last year's all-star break. I am not calling him washed up yet, but who knows how old he really is. This could be actual decline and not a 12 month slump, which pretty much never happens. I think there is a risk that he will never rebound to be the consistent .300/~25/~25 guy that he always was.
stumpak
General Manager
General Manager

Postby JakeTrain72 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:23 pm

Yes the power is sapped from his bat. 20 HR seems to be a slight reach.

I think he is now a guy who will give you .285/110R/110RBI/20HR/25SB which isn't horrible but not the AVG and HR you had come to expect before last season.
JakeTrain72
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby slappinSingles » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:26 pm

rlee wrote:Don't forget, the Philly fans even booed Santa Claus at an Eagles game :-b

People weren't throwing at santa just because he was santa. The guy was a replacement wearing a totally lame costume and it has been blown way out. Again this was frustration at Philly management.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... alls_x.htm
slappinSingles
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers