abreu - any power left in the tank? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

abreu - any power left in the tank?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

abreu - any power left in the tank?

Postby sixer03fan » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:18 pm

will abreu hit any HR's this year? or if im trading for him should i not rely on any HR's from him? will the power come around for the second half or are we looking at 20 or less for the season?
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby cordscords » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:41 pm

I think you will see a slight uptick in power, and see him finish right around 20 homers.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 23)

Postby jonesbros » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:47 pm

Yeah, he may hit in the low 20's which is just about avg. for him. His RBI #'s and runs should be pretty lofty, though, and he steals bases. Trading him away will mean trading away all those cats, too. I think he'd make a nice addition to your team, depending on who you're giving up for him.
C- McCann
1B- Morneau
2B- Roberts
3B- Zimm
SS- Renteria
LF- MCab
RF- Francouer
CF- DRoberts
OF- Podsednik
Util- FThomas
BN
Konerko
Aurilia
Hafner

P
Webb
Lackey
ESantana
JWeaver
MCain
Garland
FCordero
Otsuka
Kasmir (DL)
jonesbros
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jul 04, 2006 2:59 am

i dont think so.....i would say less than 20 maybe around 16 or 17...his rbis will stay as will his runs and sb, which keeps him very valuable but hes just not driving the ball anywhere out of the park....hes been taking ALOT of pitches and hitting the gaps well but i think the power we're used to seeing is gone for some reason...

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:06 am

Living in PA, I sometimes visit the local news bulletin boards to see what people around the Philly area are saying about the Phils... and let me tell you, Phillies fans, for the most part, HATE Abreu. They call him everything from a "cancer" (cliche) to a worthless, no good pawn of what the Phillies fans affectionately refer to the Phils skipper as "Charlie of Mayberry."

They criticize him for everything, and it should come as no surprise from the fans who drove Scott Rolen and Billy Wagner right out of town. Now, to their defense, there are some knowledgable Phillies fans who are pretty upset about losing both of them (at least from a statistical standpoint), but for most Phillies fans, it's good riddance to anything and everything that does all but pour their 15th beer for them. I hate attending Philadelphia sporting events. For the most part it's a bunch of drunk losers with nothing better to do than boo their own team. And for the true Phillies fans, they're simply drowned out by the booze filled absurdity that filled The Vet back when I would occassionally splurge for a "cheap seat."

Hell, there are "Phillies Fans" out there criticizing Jimmy Rollins as a leadoff hitter, or even Aaron Rowland as "dogging it." They're serious. To them, it's all Charlie and Pat's fault; this, that and the other. Even Hamels, when he has a good start, it's all "Ok, that's not so bad" but one bad start and it's "There goes Phillies management screwing up some more." It's tiring.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:49 am

hmmmm rowand certainly doesnt dog it, but rollins is not a leadoff hitter and if you actually watched a phillies game you would see that.

not that i have any idea why you decided to choose to rant about phillie fans in this particular topic is beyond me.

phillie fans have a right to boo, heckle, or despite abreu. he is literally (no exagerating whatsoever) the worst defensive OF i've ever seen. he makes poor decisions running the bases (and stealing bases for that matter, risking it in situations that do not warrant attempts). his overall lack of effort is why phillie fans despite abreu (for the most part). everyone acknowledges he is a hell of a hitter. great eye, works the count, goes the opposite way, (ps all characteristics of a great leadoff hitter, something bobby refused to do for several years for fear that it would hurt his individual statistics). but thats not the reason why he is hated. the aforementioned reasons posted above, are in fact the reasons.

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Sanjoseninerfan » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:27 am

Corey Patterson is the new Bobby Abreu.
Sanjoseninerfan
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby jonesbros » Tue Jul 04, 2006 4:44 am

Phillie-fan booed Mike Schmidt when he was there. I doubt anyone is safe.
C- McCann
1B- Morneau
2B- Roberts
3B- Zimm
SS- Renteria
LF- MCab
RF- Francouer
CF- DRoberts
OF- Podsednik
Util- FThomas
BN
Konerko
Aurilia
Hafner

P
Webb
Lackey
ESantana
JWeaver
MCain
Garland
FCordero
Otsuka
Kasmir (DL)
jonesbros
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby BANDINI » Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:25 am

Coppermine wrote:They criticize him for everything, and it should come as no surprise from the fans who drove Scott Rolen and Billy Wagner right out of town. Now, to their defense, there are some knowledgable Phillies fans who are pretty upset about losing both of them (at least from a statistical standpoint), but for most Phillies fans, it's good riddance to anything and everything that does all but pour their 15th beer for them. I hate attending Philadelphia sporting events. For the most part it's a bunch of drunk losers with nothing better to do than boo their own team. And for the true Phillies fans, they're simply drowned out by the booze filled absurdity that filled The Vet back when I would occassionally splurge for a "cheap seat."

Hell, there are "Phillies Fans" out there criticizing Jimmy Rollins as a leadoff hitter, or even Aaron Rowland as "dogging it." They're serious. To them, it's all Charlie and Pat's fault; this, that and the other. Even Hamels, when he has a good start, it's all "Ok, that's not so bad" but one bad start and it's "There goes Phillies management screwing up some more." It's tiring.

ummm sorry man, better get your facts straight - it wasn't the phillie fans that drove out Rolen and Wagner, but the inept management team. Basically Rolen doubted the Phils organization's committment to win, and he was right! That's why he left - he wanted to go to a winning organization. And years of inept management is why Phillie fans are so bitter.
And Rollins IS a horrible lead-off hitter. His OB% is pathetic and he can't work a pitcher count at all.
Never heard anyone criticize Rowand - if anything Phillie fans would love a team full of Rowand type players.
This is the worst franchise in all of sports - more total losses than anyone else. Me personally, I am desperate to cheer for a winning phillies team, and I and other Phillie fans have simply had enough of this crappy underachieving organization. Plus the way they handled the whole Myers wifebeating thing was pathetic. It's just one more reason to boo them.
BANDINI
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rlee » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:58 am

Don't forget, the Philly fans even booed Santa Claus at an Eagles game :-b
rlee
rlee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker