Will the Tigers win the AL Central? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Tigers win the AL Central?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who wins the AL Central?

White Sox
59%
Tigers
34%
Twins
7%
Indians
No votes

Total votes : 74

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:06 pm

moochman wrote:Because I cannot quite wash the taste of '03 out of my mouth I don't have the faith I should have given how well they've played.

Here's what needs to happen:
The pitching staff needs to pitch well the second half of the season, something that they have never done.
They have to find a bat who has good plate discipline-take a walk, get on base, put the ball in play, move runners over. They have too many, no make that almost thier whole roster, of hitters with terrible plate etiquite.
They need Dmitri Young to contribute without being a cancer in the clubhouse.

On the bright side for the Tigers, can the White Sux keep up the pace? Look at thier hitters: Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ Peirpusski all having career years? They could cool down the second half and the pitchers shakeyness would be exposed. Add to that thier manager is a wack-job and this team could implode.

So I guess we cannot rule out a three team dogfight between Twinkie, Sux and the Tigers.

How are Thome and Konerko having career years? I'll grant you Dye is performing above average, but these 2 have done it before.

I love the Tigers pitching right now, but I'm not sure that these guys can keep it up for another half season. I think the White Sox make it in, and the Wild Card comes from the AL East.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mrmelo15 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:14 pm

I'll say White Sox. I'd like to see the Tigers sustain a full season at this pace before I jump on the bandwagon. 3 hottest teams in baseball are in the AL Central

Must suck to be an Indians fan. :~(
mrmelo15
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:16 am

i'm a Tigers fan, but i think the Sox pull ahead at some point to take the division. we really struggle against them for some reason
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby BronXBombers51 » Thu Jul 06, 2006 11:18 am

I expect Chicago to retake the lead, they are just too good. I don't think the Tigers can hang with the powers of the American League (Chicago, Boston, New York, even Oakland). I really hope they fall off soon so that someone else can get in the playoffs.

Hey, they can prove me wrong though.
BronXBombers51
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 54)

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 12:45 pm

RAmst23 wrote:
moochman wrote:Because I cannot quite wash the taste of '03 out of my mouth I don't have the faith I should have given how well they've played.

Here's what needs to happen:
The pitching staff needs to pitch well the second half of the season, something that they have never done.
They have to find a bat who has good plate discipline-take a walk, get on base, put the ball in play, move runners over. They have too many, no make that almost thier whole roster, of hitters with terrible plate etiquite.
They need Dmitri Young to contribute without being a cancer in the clubhouse.

On the bright side for the Tigers, can the White Sux keep up the pace? Look at thier hitters: Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ Peirpusski all having career years? They could cool down the second half and the pitchers shakeyness would be exposed. Add to that thier manager is a wack-job and this team could implode.

So I guess we cannot rule out a three team dogfight between Twinkie, Sux and the Tigers.

How are Thome and Konerko having career years? I'll grant you Dye is performing above average, but these 2 have done it before.

I love the Tigers pitching right now, but I'm not sure that these guys can keep it up for another half season. I think the White Sox make it in, and the Wild Card comes from the AL East.

Both Thome and Konerko are on pace to have better HR, RBI and runs scored totals than ever before and Konerko a higher AVE. It's is very rare for a team to have that many big hitters having thier best years. I'm just saying that if they were to cool a bit the Sox could start losing more often.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers