Will the Tigers win the AL Central? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Will the Tigers win the AL Central?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who wins the AL Central?

White Sox
59%
Tigers
34%
Twins
7%
Indians
No votes

Total votes : 74

Postby pangbones » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:18 am

I believe the Sox will win the Central. The Tigers will give them a run for their money, but I don't see them beating out the White Sox. I think they'll be in position to take the wild card though.

Obviously things could get interesting in a few weeks when trades start going down, but as of right now the White Sox are the better team.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:37 am

DevilDriver wrote:White Sox should win the division easily. They're only several games back right now, and they have a much higher overall talent level than the Tigers, especially now with Thome in that lineup.

Their pitching is far, far inferior. Garland is an absolute mess, and Garcia isn't much better. Vazquez sucks too. Contreras has not been the same since coming back from injury, and Buerhle just got lit up by the Cubs for 11 runs , the worst offensive team in the National League. Their bullpen is mediocre at best. The White Sox may win the division if the Tigers slump, but it won't be easily.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby Surfs up » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:14 am

pangbones
General Manager

Posted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:18 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I believe the Sox will win the Central. The Tigers will give them a run for their money, but I don't see them beating out the White Sox. I think they'll be in position to take the wild card though.

Obviously things could get interesting in a few weeks when trades start going down, but as of right now the White Sox are the better team.

No As of right now the Tigers are the better team.
Surfs up
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 183)

Postby DevilDriver » Tue Jul 04, 2006 11:51 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:
DevilDriver wrote:White Sox should win the division easily. They're only several games back right now, and they have a much higher overall talent level than the Tigers, especially now with Thome in that lineup.

Their pitching is far, far inferior. Garland is an absolute mess, and Garcia isn't much better. Vazquez sucks too. Contreras has not been the same since coming back from injury, and Buerhle just got lit up by the Cubs for 11 runs, the worst offensive team in the National League. Their bullpen is mediocre at best. The White Sox may win the division if the Tigers slump, but it won't be easily.

Who cares if Buerhle got lit up by the Cubs? It's one bad start and other than that he's been very solid. And the Cubs are not even remotely close to being the worst offensive team in the National League with Derrek Lee and Michael Barrett back. The ChiSox lineup is much better than the Tigers', that's what's going to win the division. The Tigers' rotation is bound to see some bumps in the second half, and in my personal opinion their will be alot. Buehrle/Contreras/Vazquez/Garcia/Garland is a pretty damn good rotation too.
DevilDriver
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Jimboozie » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:24 pm

Hitting-wise, I think the White Sox are better than the Tigers.

However, Detroit's pitching staff has been great. If they keep it up I think they will win the division. :-o

We have one vote for the Twins so far, kinda suprised nobody has thrown their name out there. What are they, 19-1 in their last 20 games?
Jimboozie
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby SmartassBoiler » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:00 am

CubsFan7724 wrote:

Their pitching is far, far inferior. Garland is an absolute mess, and Garcia isn't much better. Vazquez sucks too. Contreras has not been the same since coming back from injury, and Buerhle just got lit up by the Cubs for 11 runs , the worst offensive team in the National League. Their bullpen is mediocre at best. The White Sox may win the division if the Tigers slump, but it won't be easily.

A Cubs fan saying the White Sox rotation sucks, and then judging our best pitcher based on one bad outing? Never seen anything like it. :-D
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:03 am

I think Detroit will hang on.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:44 am

I don't see Detroit being able to keep this up with the pitching staff they have. Verlander's never come close to a 200 IP season. I do believe they will win the wild card, though, with the White Sox winning the division.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 4)

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:47 am

Omaha Red Sox wrote:Verlander's never come close to a 200 IP season.

He's a rookie. :-?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby moochman » Wed Jul 05, 2006 12:15 pm

Because I cannot quite wash the taste of '03 out of my mouth I don't have the faith I should have given how well they've played.

Here's what needs to happen:
The pitching staff needs to pitch well the second half of the season, something that they have never done.
They have to find a bat who has good plate discipline-take a walk, get on base, put the ball in play, move runners over. They have too many, no make that almost thier whole roster, of hitters with terrible plate etiquite.
They need Dmitri Young to contribute without being a cancer in the clubhouse.

On the bright side for the Tigers, can the White Sux keep up the pace? Look at thier hitters: Thome, Konerko, Dye, AJ Peirpusski all having career years? They could cool down the second half and the pitchers shakeyness would be exposed. Add to that thier manager is a wack-job and this team could implode.

So I guess we cannot rule out a three team dogfight between Twinkie, Sux and the Tigers.
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers