Thames not getting his due... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Thames not getting his due...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thames not getting his due...

Postby mcliffy2 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:24 pm

He was just named the Tiger's player of the month...the funny thing is his BA for the month and HR were basically the same as his pace for the year, since he didn't really play in April. With the frustration of streaky Ensberg and Soriano, I have really noticed how consistent Thames is. He hasn't gone nuts, but has stayed solid...and I think he'll end up with around a .290 average, 30+ HR, and possibly 100 RBI, at least 90 tho (he has started batting 3rd occassionally which should help). There is a lot of value to a guy like that, especially in head-to-head, yet I don't hear much talk about him, probably because his yearly RBI and R totals are a little less due to his lack of PT in April...but it seems like he is emerging as a possible stud.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Starkmadfan » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:59 pm

Part of it is because he is in Detroit, and well, depending on where you are, Detroit doesn't get much national coverage.

I've been debating for weeks about adding him, talking to friends that are Tigers fans, trying to find out if he is for real. I think its just slowly dawning on folks that Detroit is for real this year, and as that finally sinks in, their lineup will be picked over.
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby flowbee » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:01 pm

I just thought of him as a .265 hitter thats been hot and will cool off as soon as I pick him up and wont start everyday....So far he's proved me wrong
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcliffy2 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:12 pm

I guess that is kinda my point...he's been hot for 2 straight months, I'm starting to think its for real. Also, if you look at his career stats, even with sparatic playing time, he has always hit at a 30+ HR/year pace, if you project his numbers out to a full year...He has 35 HR in 542 career AB.
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Amazing Oopah » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:31 pm

This guy has been steady as a rock for me in a roto and a H2H while I wait for Jenkins to hit his 2nd half hot streak. ;-D
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby dyuen87 » Mon Jul 03, 2006 9:44 pm

If he can continue at this pace he'll be my fantasy MVP.

Him and Uggla have been great surprises this year. ;-D
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby jonesbros » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:10 pm

Not too shabby a pick up for me. Not much for RBIs (mostly, RBI opps are situational anyway... simply means the guys batting before him aren't getting on base) but if you need a pure slugger who has (so far) been hitting for avg., too and not punching out a lot, you've got a solid commodity... Adam Dunn without all the K's and a much better BA.

The big question is how long will he keep this up? Impossible to say, as there isn't a lot of history behind him but he does have power.

I think being w/ detroit, though, a lot of people are waiting for the other shoe to drop and the Tigers to tank. I think they have too much talent this year for a complete collapse on both sides of the ball.
C- McCann
1B- Morneau
2B- Roberts
3B- Zimm
SS- Renteria
LF- MCab
RF- Francouer
CF- DRoberts
OF- Podsednik
Util- FThomas
BN
Konerko
Aurilia
Hafner

P
Webb
Lackey
ESantana
JWeaver
MCain
Garland
FCordero
Otsuka
Kasmir (DL)
jonesbros
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jonesbros » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:42 pm

Just went yard again. If he keeps doing what he's doing, the respect will come.
C- McCann
1B- Morneau
2B- Roberts
3B- Zimm
SS- Renteria
LF- MCab
RF- Francouer
CF- DRoberts
OF- Podsednik
Util- FThomas
BN
Konerko
Aurilia
Hafner

P
Webb
Lackey
ESantana
JWeaver
MCain
Garland
FCordero
Otsuka
Kasmir (DL)
jonesbros
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby red_foot » Tue Jul 04, 2006 12:59 am

Everything I have read on him suggests that the power is legit and that the avg will come back down to the 260-270 mark. But since he was just floating around on waivers, he's a steal no matter what. I think 30 homers is very acheivable for him, with at worst, a serviceable average. Not too many of these guys come around every year.
red_foot
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Coppermine » Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:17 am

Thames has helped me quite a bit, particularly in June... his number speak for themselves, even in the context of the first half.

.310 16 HR is nothing to complain about. It'd like to see him score more runs and drive some more in, but he's an overlooked gem to be sure.
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers