MAUER, injured or OK??? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

MAUER, injured or OK???

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

MAUER, injured or OK???

Postby PointMachine » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:50 pm

According to sportsline he sat yesterday because he fouled a ball off his toe Saturday night and has a touch of flu. Anybody know anything more or have an update to this? I really don't have room to add another catcher for the week but I will if I must. :-o :-o :-o
PointMachine
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:23 pm

he has more stuff to worry about....

Joe Mauer - C - Twins

Joe Mauer remained in Minnesota on Sunday to hopefully discover what has been ailing him the past few days.
"It's a stomachache, abdominal pains, just feeling terrible," Mauer said. "[Friday] "I came to the park feeling terrible. [Saturday] it was really bad, and today it didn't really get any better. Hopefully it's nothing and I'll be in the lineup tomorrow." Mauer is day-to-day. Jul. 3 - 10:24 am et
Source: Minneapolis Star-Tribune

Mauer out with stomach ailment
Twins catcher stays in Minnesota while team travels

07/02/2006 8:43 PM ET
By Kelly Thesier / MLB.com

MINNEAPOLIS -- Opposing pitchers can't seem to find a way to get Joe Mauer out, but there was one thing that finally did sideline the catcher on Sunday -- a stomach virus.
Mauer has been suffering from the effects of what appears to be flu-like symptoms over the past few days, causing him to remain out of the lineup on Sunday.

It's become enough of a concern that the Twins starting catcher stayed behind in Minneapolis on Sunday night as the team headed to Kansas City. Mauer will have some tests run to determine what is causing the problem.

"When I came into the park today, they asked me how I was feeling and usually if I'm feeling terrible, I say I feel good because I want to get in there," Mauer said. "But I had to take myself out today and figure out what it is."

The 23-year-old is expected to join the club for its series with the Royals on Monday morning after going to the hospital to have some X-rays taken.

"They tell me it's just precautionary since he's had it for three days now," Twins manager Ron Gardenhire said. "They just want to make sure. You're always concerned when you are sending a guy over to get X-rays, but they tell me it's more to make sure it's nothing big."

One concern that the club has is kidney stones. Mauer has suffered from the problem in the past, but this time he feels like the symptoms are different, as it's been stomach pain and sweats that have kept him awake at night.

"I don't think it's kidney stones," Mauer said. "It's a possibility and somebody said maybe appendix. I don't know. Hopefully it's none of those."

The Twins' medical staff had talked about taking the catcher during the game, but the symptoms weren't bad enough to leave Gardenhire without a backup catcher on the bench. Mauer also has been ailing from a bruised toe due to a foul tip and a sore hamstring, but none of that seems to be a concern.

"He can play through that," Gardenhire said. "The toe, the hamstring, the ankle he can, but with his stomach ailment that he's had, it kind of knocked us back a little bit today. He hung around for the game but he's going to go get it checked out."

Mauer's not worried about his ailment affecting his ability to attend the All-Star Game, which he was elected to for the first time on Sunday. The game is still over a week away and it seems clear that Mauer will do just about anything to be in attendance.

"It will have to be a lot to keep me from there," Mauer said. "I'm just real excited about going."

http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/arti ... p&c_id=mlb
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PointMachine » Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:31 pm

CRAP! Hopefully we will get an update on his hospital visit before lineups are due. My lineup is set once a week. :-o :-o
PointMachine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SimbaPenn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:31 pm

Since he didn't travel with the team to KC, chances are he's out for at least this series. If you've got another decent option for this week, bench Mauer.
SimbaPenn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Chicago RedSox » Mon Jul 03, 2006 4:29 pm

Grab Napoli for a spell...
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:09 pm

espIn news is reporting that he might try to play tonight...who knos?
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby SimbaPenn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:53 pm

HOOKAAY!!
SimbaPenn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby SimbaPenn » Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:48 pm

Looks like Mauer is a go according to Yahoo's lineup.
SimbaPenn
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Weasel_King » Mon Jul 03, 2006 8:47 pm

Urgh... The dude in first place has Mauer, hoping he'd stay injured. O well....
Weasel_King
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:11 pm

Mauer just hit one out, so he can't be feelin' too bad...
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates