Thoughts on Pelfrey? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Thoughts on Pelfrey?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Thoughts on Pelfrey?

Postby Klopos » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:25 pm

Looks like he may make his first ML start this week. Doesn't seem to be as hyped as Hamels and Billingsley. Any thoughts as to picking him up?
Klopos
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Don G. » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:31 pm

If he comes up and stay there I'll probably drop him for Hamels...espcially since I'm a Mets fan but I'll want to see how he pitches in his first outing...ill be watching this weekend.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby PointMachine » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:53 pm

Man if you have room to spare you should go ahead and grab him just incase he sticks. Soler sucks so maybe if he does well he'll get a spot pitching for a great team in a pitchers park.

http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=223679
PointMachine
College Coach
College Coach

Postby FanOfTheGame » Mon Jul 03, 2006 11:16 pm

Who is this dude?
FanOfTheGame
College Coach
College Coach

Postby napes22 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 1:16 am

I don't know where you got this information, but I am pretty sure the Mets have no intention of bringing up Pelfrey. You rush a kid like that it could mess with him for the rest of his career. Soler was sent down and John Maine brought up. Darren Oliver will probably get a spot start as well. I'm a Met fan and have been following this, and I really don't see Pelfrey up in the near future.
napes22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rmande09 » Tue Jul 04, 2006 9:40 am

Napes - It's about 90% certain he's starting this weekend for the Mets. The Mets FO told the representatives of the Futures Game that Pelfrey will be unavailable because of a probable Major League promotion.

Anyways, he's ready for the show. He was drafted out of college, has electric stuff, and a great mental makeup. He gets no where near as much hype as he deserves - he's better than Billingsley and Hamels. I'd rate him in the upper echelon of pitching prospects/rookies, with Liriano, Verlander, Cain, and King Felix.
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Don G. » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:05 am

I'll definetly pick him up when he becomes available as long as the mets are committed to keeping him in the bigs.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Thoughts on Pelfrey?

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:03 pm

Klopos wrote:Looks like he may make his first ML start this week. Doesn't seem to be as hyped as Hamels and Billingsley. Any thoughts as to picking him up?

Hamels and Billingsley have yet to live up to their hype. The main issue is control. That's what rookies have a lot of problem with. Billingsley and Hamels don't really have a good "trainer" if you will to help them out. For example, Beckett gets some training from Curt Schilling. Liriano gets help and pitches very similar to Johan Santana. Pelfrey could use the help of Pedro and Glavine to help him with his pitching. I'd like to see him succeed and we'll see how well he does when he gets the call.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Big Train » Fri Jul 07, 2006 8:26 pm

He'll start Saturday... doesn't sound like he'll stick initially, but with Lima throwing up a dud tonight, who knows...

MLB.com

NEW YORK -- Mike Pelfrey still has one day to wait before being officially added to the Mets' Major League roster, but his presence was already being felt on Friday, where the team is eager to see how their top pitching prospect responds to the challenge.
Pelfrey, the Mets' first-round selection in the 2005 First-Year Player Draft, will join the Mets on Saturday after being promoted from Double-A Binghamton of the Eastern League, making his debut in the second game of a doubleheader against the Florida Marlins.

A white jersey -- large enough to fit the right-hander's 6-foot-7 frame -- was already hanging in a Shea Stadium locker on Friday, bearing uniform No. 34. Mets manager Willie Randolph said he expected the 22-year-old to handle the assignment well.

"I'm looking forward to it," Randolph said. "Any time you have young talent coming up and you see guys work and show some talent, you can't wait to see that happen for you. I hope he comes up and gives us a nice shot in the arm."

Pelfrey is joining the Mets' rotation in place of right-hander Pedro Martinez, who was placed on the disabled list retroactive to June 29 with a sore right hip.

The Mets have not outlined how long they expect Pelfrey to stay with the Major League club, with general manager Omar Minaya referring to the start as "a taste, [for] now."

Possessing a plus fastball with a developing curveball and changeup, Pelfrey was the ninth overall pick last year out of Wichita State University, where he spent three years as a standout collegiate hurler.

Pelfrey made his professional debut this season with Class A St. Lucie of the Florida State League, making just four starts there before being promoted to Binghamton in late April.

In 12 starts for the B-Mets, Pelfrey was 4-2 with a 2.71 ERA, striking out 77 batters and walking 26 in 66 1/3 innings, allowing 60 hits. In his last start on July 1 at New Hampshire, Pelfrey struck out a career-high 11 in seven innings, notching his fourth victory in his last five starts.

"He's had some good [outings], some not so good," Randolph said. "It's just a matter of seeing for myself. You don't really put a lot of stock into that because it's Double-A."

"The good thing is that he's not coming into a stressful situation," said outfielder Cliff Floyd. "He's not trying to save us."

Mets reliever Henry Owens, who was summoned from the Binghamton club on Thursday when Martinez was placed on the disabled list, has watched Pelfrey most of this season. He said Pelfrey has shown confidence that he is ready for the Major League level.

"He's got electric stuff," Owens said. "When he's commanding it, he's pretty tough to hit. ... He likes to have fun and, at the same time, he's extra competitive."

A member of the Mets' 40-man roster, Pelfrey was present during the Mets' Spring Training camp in Port St. Lucie, Fla. The Mets did not shy away from presenting Pelfrey with tough assignments during the Grapefruit League schedule, testing his mettle in his first professional assignment against the Puerto Rican team in a warmup to the World Baseball Classic.

"I always felt like in Spring Training he had pretty good stuff," Floyd said. "It's just a matter of coming up here and not getting flustered by the situation. He's got to look at it as just a baseball game."

"He seemed like he had a nice presence about himself," Randolph said. "[He had] all the things you like to see in young players, but he was very quiet, also. He just went about his business."

Randolph joked that he "flipped a coin" to decide upon Pelfrey for starting Game 2 of Saturday's twinbill with the Marlins, though the move could allow the Mets to carry an extra reliever during Game 1.

Randolph suggested that Pelfrey will have the added benefit of watching John Maine pitch against Florida on television in the first game of the afternoon, perhaps picking up an extra tip or two for his first big-league assignment.

"I think, if anything, he's headed in the right direction," Floyd said. "Hopefully, he can come up here and give us a quality start, and enjoy the opportunity.

"There's only one first start in the big leagues."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates