Michael Hernandez- West Michigan Whitecaps - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Detroit Tigers

Michael Hernandez- West Michigan Whitecaps

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:10 am

Tigers signed this guy as an undrafted free agent this season and ever since being promoted to the Whitecaps he's been tearing the cover off the ball. Here are his numbers in 33 games at WM.

138 AB .326 AVG 18 R 7 HR 31 RBI 8 BB 19 K .366 OBP .545 SLG

I tried to find a scouting profile or atleast some info on him but didn't find much of anything.

He was drafted out of high school in 2002 in the 27th round by the Royals but didn't sign. He was drafted in the 20th round in 2003 by the Royals but didn't signed. He was then taken in the 45th round in 2004 by the Dodgers and must not have signed He played baseball for Oklahoma State in 2005 and then the trail goes cold. He also put some time in the Cape Cod League.

2005 numbers at Oklahoma State U.

167 AB .299 AVG 36 R 6 HR 31 RBI 14 BB 21 K .356 OBP .539 SLG

Oklahoma State Bio

http://www.okstate.com/ViewArticle.dbml ... EASON=2004

Here are a couple stories on the guy since joining West Michigan.

West Michigan's Hernandez caps off cycle

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/ ... &fext=.jsp

Whitecaps' Hernandez drives in five

He's probably nothing to get excited about but with Maybin the only other position player having a good season I can't help it!
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby moochman » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:17 pm

Just in case you ever wondered what the love child of John Smoltz and Travis Hafner would look like. :-b
moochman
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dannomyte » Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:53 pm

I was thinking he looked alot like Matt Anderson.

Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Wed Jul 26, 2006 7:55 am

Hernandez hits for the cycle AGAIN

The odds of hitting for the cycle once are about the same as pitching a no-hitter. Hitting for the cycle twice in one season? That's just "crazy," according to Michael Hernandez.

Hernandez hit for the cycle for the second time in less than two months Tuesday night, getting help from an unlikely source as the West Michigan Whitecaps blanked the Peoria Chiefs, 10-0, at Fifth Third Ballpark.

Hernandez delivered a two-run double in the first inning, slugged a two-run homer in the third and singled in the fifth. He flied out to right field in the seventh and did not look like he'd get another chance to repeat his feat from June 8.

"Quite a few players came up to me and said, 'Dude, you can hit for the cycle twice, which would be amazing,'" Hernandez said. "I wanted to stay humble, but then the ball (was) thrown into our dugout and I said, 'Man, I'm gonna do this right now.'"

West Michigan had scored twice in the eighth, but Matthew Joyce hit an apparent inning-ending double-play ball to second base. When shortstop Kyle Reynolds' relay was wild, Hernandez got another chance.

He made the most of it with a perfectly placed drive down the right-field line.

"I was just looking for a pitch away and he gave me a pitch away," Hernandez said, referring to Chiefs reliever Matt Avery. "I sat on it. I hit the ball well to right field, right down the line. As soon as I hit it, I knew I had to get three (bases).

"I feel like I'm in a dream or something. It feels weird."

It was the second triple of the season for the 22-year-old designated hitter, whose other three-base hit came in his other cycle on June 8 at Fort Wayne.

"I would have to say the triple is probably the hardest thing to get. You gotta be fast and I'm not that fast. I've got decent speed," said Hernandez, who is 12-for-17 over his last three games to get his average back to .302.

On July 9 against Cedar Rapids, shortstop Mike Hollimon became the second Whitecap to hit for the cycle this season. Hollimon was on deck Tuesday when Hernandez did him one better.

"He kind of looked at me and said, 'Go do it. Do it again,'" Hernandez said. "Man, I hope he gets it (again). He's a great ballplayer, a great guy."

William Rhymes collected three hits and scored twice, while Pedro Cotto had two hits and two RBIs to help West Michigan (25-7) to its sixth straight win.

Burke Badenhop (10-3) had no trouble pitching with the big lead. He gave up five hits and struck out eight over seven innings for his fifth straight win.

Peoria starter Jesus Yepez (4-6) surrendered four runs on nine hits over six innings with three walks and five strikeouts. Ryan Norwood singled and walked in four plate appearances for the Chiefs (16-16), who have lost a season-high four in a row.

Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:35 pm

Hernandez almost hits for cycle again

Michael Hernandez went 4-for-6 with two home runs and a career-high seven RBIs on Saturday night, leading the West Michigan Whitecaps to a 13-6 road triumph over the Clinton LumberKings.

Hernandez had a two-run double in the third inning, a solo homer in the sixth and an RBI single in the seventh. Needing a triple to hit for the cycle for the third time this season, he slugged a three-run homer in the ninth.

The 22-year-old right-fielder raised his average to .300 with 10 homers, despite entering the game in a 1-for-12 funk.

John Mayberry crushed a two-run blast in the third to lif the LumberKings into a 3-3 tie, but the Whitecaps (28-8) responded with two runs in the fourth and three in the fifth.

After Michael Hollimon led off West Michigan's fifth with a triple and Dusty Ryan was hit by a pitch, Jeramy Laster ripped a drive into center field for an inside-the-park homer.

Whitecaps starter Erik Averill (7-4) got the win after allowing four runs on nine hits and a walk while fanning four in seven innings.

Clinton starter Zachary Phillips (3-9) gave up five runs on five hits with six walks and two strikeouts in 3 2/3 frames.

Terry Blunt went 2-for-5 with an RBI and a run scored for the LumberKings (9-27), who have lost seven straight. Ian Gac and Benjamin Crabtree also drove in runs.

Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Dannomyte » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:56 pm

Hernandez named Midwest League Player of the Week

Michael Hernandez, West Michigan
.387 (12-31), 6 R, 3 2B, 1 3B, 3 HR, 13 RBI, 1 BB, 3 SO, 0 SB, .839 SLG

Hernandez receives Player of the Week honors on the strength of two monster games. On Tuesday, the 22-year-old hit for the cycle for the second time this season and drove in five runs as West Michigan blanked Peoria, 10-0. Five days later, Hernandez went 4-for-6 with two homers and seven RBIs as the Whitecaps pounded Clinton, 13-6.
Dannomyte
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Return to Detroit Tigers