Pittsburgh all-star voting - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Pittsburgh all-star voting

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby CheeseBeger » Wed Jul 05, 2006 3:16 pm

I can't wait until KC gets the allstar game and get BOTH Redman and Reggie in!!!

But seriously, I don't think that its too much to ask to have a player from the home city to start the game, I think Bay is deserving enough. I think the NL was well selected (except Nomar, but hes getting voted in anyway) by the manager. AL maybe not so much.
CheeseBeger
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Eagle EyeMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 1713
Joined: 21 Jan 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't need doubletalk! You need Bob Loblaw!

Postby BoogieKnights » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:12 pm

Bay didn't just earn votes from Pittsburgh (though 50 such votes did come from me) but there was also a significant push for Canadian baseball fans to vote for him, too, from what I hear.
BoogieKnights
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 96
Joined: 2 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jh2031 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:24 pm

Berge20 wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:And people wonder how the system is broken.....


So, Bay and Freddy didn't deserve to get in??? :-? :-? :-?


My comment has nothing to do with Bay or Freddy and their deservingness of an all-star spot. It is simply a general observation that any fan can vote hundreds of times and this exacerbates what I view as a problem about how we select the players. Obviously, others may disagree.


I voted for Wright, Reyes, Soriano and Andruw Jones just as many as I did for Bay and Sanchez. I just don't hit the homer button as some fans do. Plus, the reason they made that as you call it "vote hundreds of times" rule is because Pittsburgh is a very small market and can't compete with NY and other big markets. It's fair when you look at it from that stand point.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1320
Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jul 05, 2006 4:26 pm

jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:And people wonder how the system is broken.....


So, Bay and Freddy didn't deserve to get in??? :-? :-? :-?


My comment has nothing to do with Bay or Freddy and their deservingness of an all-star spot. It is simply a general observation that any fan can vote hundreds of times and this exacerbates what I view as a problem about how we select the players. Obviously, others may disagree.


I voted for Wright, Reyes, Soriano and Andruw Jones just as many as I did for Bay and Sanchez. I just don't hit the homer button as some fans do. Plus, the reason they made that as you call it "vote hundreds of times" rule is because Pittsburgh is a very small market and can't compete with NY and other big markets. It's fair when you look at it from that stand point.

How does that make it fair then? Every person gets 25 votes...that's fair. That's like saying well more people like George Bush so people who like Kerry should vote as much as they want so it's even. :-?
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby Bloody Sox » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:02 pm

Mercer Boy wrote:Truthfully...I don't know why they still let people vote on the net. A few years ago some dude voted for Nomar like 90,000 times in one night. They caught him, but if they really wanted to, they should have been able to see that people were voting multiple times from the same place. It's pretty dang easy to make a new email...and heck, I used two emails and voted all those times.

Who has the All-Star Game next year? I'll bet their hometown fans do the same thing...it may not be so much the homers being enthused to vote...it's the people from the other cities not doing what it takes to get their own guys in. :-?


Don't blame the net... blame the fact that they let people vote 25 times each per email address. Why not just once? If they did that, there wouldn't be that much reward for setting up a new email address - just one lousy vote.

And if I'm not mistaken, they let you log in and just vote for one guy - if they made you fill out an entire ballot - which takes time - that would discourage people from voting 250 times on 10 email addresses.

And they could even go further and make it so that people could only vote so many times (regardless of how many email addresses) from a given computer. Its pretty easy to track. Granted, you could fake out the system, but going back to the one vote idea - it wouldn't be worth the trouble.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2148
(Past Year: 18)
Joined: 27 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Fenway Park, RF Roof Deck

Postby jh2031 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:12 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:And people wonder how the system is broken.....


So, Bay and Freddy didn't deserve to get in??? :-? :-? :-?


My comment has nothing to do with Bay or Freddy and their deservingness of an all-star spot. It is simply a general observation that any fan can vote hundreds of times and this exacerbates what I view as a problem about how we select the players. Obviously, others may disagree.


I voted for Wright, Reyes, Soriano and Andruw Jones just as many as I did for Bay and Sanchez. I just don't hit the homer button as some fans do. Plus, the reason they made that as you call it "vote hundreds of times" rule is because Pittsburgh is a very small market and can't compete with NY and other big markets. It's fair when you look at it from that stand point.

How does that make it fair then? Every person gets 25 votes...that's fair. That's like saying well more people like George Bush so people who like Kerry should vote as much as they want so it's even. :-?


So now we're comparing all-star votes to politics? Way to take this one off track. If it worked like you say it should...then there would be just Mets in the NL roster and Yankees/Red Sox on the AL roster. That's all I'm saying on this one.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1320
Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby Berge20 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:12 pm

I personally think the entire voting system is rediculous anyway, especially now that the game determines World Series homefield advantage.

If I had my way, I'd have the managers pick the entire rosters.

I think that would eliminate a lot of the "less deserving" selections made by the fans in huge markets.
Last edited by Berge20 on Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Berge20
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 206
(Past Year: 1)
Joined: 28 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Football

Postby jh2031 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:13 pm

Berge20 wrote:I personally think the entire voting system is rediculous anyway, especially now that the game determines World Series homefield advantage.

If I had my way, I'd have the managers pick the entire rosters.


That's the way it should be. But since fans are allowed to vote...I'm going to vote as many times as I want for my teams players who deserve to go.
jh2031
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1320
Joined: 17 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Football
Location: Pittsburgh, PA

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Jul 05, 2006 5:24 pm

jh2031 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:And people wonder how the system is broken.....


So, Bay and Freddy didn't deserve to get in??? :-? :-? :-?


My comment has nothing to do with Bay or Freddy and their deservingness of an all-star spot. It is simply a general observation that any fan can vote hundreds of times and this exacerbates what I view as a problem about how we select the players. Obviously, others may disagree.


I voted for Wright, Reyes, Soriano and Andruw Jones just as many as I did for Bay and Sanchez. I just don't hit the homer button as some fans do. Plus, the reason they made that as you call it "vote hundreds of times" rule is because Pittsburgh is a very small market and can't compete with NY and other big markets. It's fair when you look at it from that stand point.

How does that make it fair then? Every person gets 25 votes...that's fair. That's like saying well more people like George Bush so people who like Kerry should vote as much as they want so it's even. :-?


So now we're comparing all-star votes to politics? Way to take this one off track. If it worked like you say it should...then there would be just Mets in the NL roster and Yankees/Red Sox on the AL roster. That's all I'm saying on this one.

I'm not taking anything off track. It's called a comparison. People use them to make points.

If there are more Mets, Yankees, and Red Sox fans then anyone else, and the game is for the fans, then why shouldn't the roster be full of them?
Image
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 11485
Joined: 7 Feb 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Beantown

Postby RAmst23 » Wed Jul 05, 2006 6:01 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:
jh2031 wrote:
Berge20 wrote:And people wonder how the system is broken.....


So, Bay and Freddy didn't deserve to get in??? :-? :-? :-?


My comment has nothing to do with Bay or Freddy and their deservingness of an all-star spot. It is simply a general observation that any fan can vote hundreds of times and this exacerbates what I view as a problem about how we select the players. Obviously, others may disagree.


I voted for Wright, Reyes, Soriano and Andruw Jones just as many as I did for Bay and Sanchez. I just don't hit the homer button as some fans do. Plus, the reason they made that as you call it "vote hundreds of times" rule is because Pittsburgh is a very small market and can't compete with NY and other big markets. It's fair when you look at it from that stand point.

How does that make it fair then? Every person gets 25 votes...that's fair. That's like saying well more people like George Bush so people who like Kerry should vote as much as they want so it's even. :-?


So now we're comparing all-star votes to politics? Way to take this one off track. If it worked like you say it should...then there would be just Mets in the NL roster and Yankees/Red Sox on the AL roster. That's all I'm saying on this one.

I'm not taking anything off track. It's called a comparison. People use them to make points.

If there are more Mets, Yankees, and Red Sox fans then anyone else, and the game is for the fans, then why shouldn't the roster be full of them?


It would work, except your comparison was abyssmal. Anyway, the rosters ARE full of Mets, Yankess, and Red Soxs. The AL starters contain 3 Boston players and 2 Yankees. In the NL, there are 4 Mets starting. So yea, good point.

9 starters out of 16 are from those three teams. The reason more NY, and Red Sox players didn't make it is because those fans aren't completely stupid, and recognize to vote for truely great players on other teams. Anyway, having managers choose all the players isn't a great solution either. How many White Sox are reserves, 6? Also, wasn't Liriano left off the roster (Though it does look like he might make it on anyway).

There's no perfect way to do this, which in my mind means that the
All Star game should stop choosing who gets WS home advantage.
The point of adding this stipulation to the game was to increase ratings, and yet the ratings have never been lower for this event. Cut it out, change it.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1986
(Past Year: 3)
Joined: 6 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Sitting on the steps of Busch Stadium

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Friday, Oct. 24
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Kansas City at San Francisco
(8:07 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact