Ben Sheets Update - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ben Sheets Update

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby SmartassBoiler » Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:41 am

Rotoworld wrote:Ben Sheets (shoulder) was excited about his 45-pitch simulated game on Tuesday.
"I hope I come back and feel good (Wednesday)," Sheets said. "I think there's a chance to go out on rehab. It's not the best it's ever felt, but it's good enough to keep moving forward." The Brewers management will decide on Wednesday if Sheets is ready to begin pitching in minor league rehab games.

That whole "it's not the best it's ever felt" seems like he's trying to pitch through whatever problems he still has. I wouldn't get too optimistic yet. I'd imagine if he comes back, it'll only be a few starts until his next DL stint...just like last time. :-t
SmartassBoiler
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Big Train » Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:24 pm

MLB.com

MILWAUKEE -- Brewers right-hander Ben Sheets is ready to begin a Minor League rehabilitation stint this weekend, and he's cautiously optimistic about rejoining the Brewers for August and September.
"I'm excited, but I [am not] going too far," said Sheets, who has been on the disabled list since early May with right shoulder tendonitis. "I want to have some extended success, some extended good health before I get really excited."

Sheets is scheduled to begin his rehab with a 65-pitch outing for Triple-A Nashville on Sunday at Round Rock, Tex. Sheets will rejoin the Brewers for a July 13 workout in Phoenix, then is scheduled to throw 85 pitches for the team's Arizona League affiliate on July 14 before his status is re-evaluated.

Why Arizona? The big-league Brewers return from the All-Star break next week with a series against the Diamondbacks at Chase Field, just a few miles from the Brewers' Spring Training and summer rookie league facility.

"I'd love to be a part of 12 games that could help this team win," said Sheets, who is hoping for a return to the Majors by the end of July. "And I'd love to help out the bullpen, take away some of those innings. If I can be good for my last 10 [starts] I'd be really happy."

Sheets started the season on the DL with a muscle injury behind his right shoulder. He made four starts in April and early May before the team shut him down with what was first called "stiffness" in the front part of his shoulder. An MRI scan revealed no structural damage, but Sheets' recovery was nonetheless slow.

"My arm tells me to be patient," Sheets said. "We're going as quick as it lets us. It doesn't happen overnight. My body has been dictating everything. We've gone forward, then pulled back, then forward, then back. That's the way it's been the whole time."
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mikhayl » Thu Jul 06, 2006 9:53 am

link

Sheets threw three 15-pitch sessions from the mound before Tuesday's game. "That was the plan today, for him to go out and throw 45 pitches," Brewers manager Ned Yost said. "He's starting to develop, and it's the first time I've seen it today, a cutter to go along with his curveball, and it looked pretty good." Sheets has been on the 15-day disabled list since May 3 with tendinitis in his right shoulder.

Had anyone heard about Sheets adding a cutter to his arsenal? Correct me if I'm wrong, but he's a two pitch pitcher with a fastball and a curve. Adding a cutter could take a lot of strain off his arm as he'd be less reliant on the curve.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby imblotto » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:33 pm

I've never heard him throwing a cutter, perhaps Yost was referring to his 2-seamer?
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Don G. » Thu Jul 06, 2006 5:37 pm

Nope...while he was rehabbing whomever is the pitching coach taught him how to throw a cutter. He's been practicing it since he started pitching and supposedly it looks pretty good so it's now ognna be used as part of his arsenal. Good stuff if he can throw it consistently.
Don G.
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Secret Avatar » Thu Jul 06, 2006 6:40 pm

Sheets should add a change -- the most underrated pitch in baseball. Following up a 95 mph heater with a good 85 mph change has hitters screwing themselves into the ground.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby imblotto » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:29 pm

audio link for Sheets rehab start going on right now...

http://www.nashvillesounds.com/listenlive/
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby imblotto » Sun Jul 09, 2006 8:30 pm

By the way, Sheets does rarely throw a changeup
imblotto
College Coach
College Coach

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:43 pm

Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel
Ben Sheets (shoulder) allowed three runs in three innings during a minor league rehab start with Triple-A Nashville on Sunday.
Sheets threw 65 pitches in the outing, his first since he experienced shoulder problems in early May. He reportedly was throwing around 93 mph with his fastball. Sheets is expected to make his next rehab start on Friday. Jul. 10 - 6:26 am et
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Fade2White12 » Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:54 pm

MLB: BREWERS: Sheets feeling good after rehab start

Righty throws three innings for Triple-A Nashville on Sunday
MILWAUKEE -- It wasn't the prettiest outing but at this point, Ben Sheets will take any outing.

Sheets threw 65 pitches -- 45 for strikes -- in three innings, gave up three runs on three hits, walked three, struck out two and gave up a home run for Triple-A Nashville against Round Rock on Sunday.

More importantly, though, Sheets said he felt no pain in his first of three rehab starts.

"I felt good, a lot better than I thought I would," Sheets said. "I just needed to get some innings in. Confidence in my fastball is the biggest key, and my location was off a little bit. I was rushing through my delivery, but overall I felt about 99.5 percent. Once I get my fastball located, I'll be good to go."

Sheets' fastball was timed at 93-94 mph, and Sheets said it was just great for him to get out and pitch in a live game, as opposed to the simulated action he's been a part of in the last couple of weeks.

"I got all my pitches out there and mixed them up a little bit," Sheets said. "I just need to make sure I'm locating my fastball. That's the key to my success."

So how close is he to being ready?

"I have two more starts to go," Sheets said. "One in rookie ball, and then I don't know where after that, but it will be two more."

The other starter on the disabled list, Tomo Ohka, threw for Class A Brevard County on Sunday. Ohka threw six innings, allowed one unearned run and struck out five.

"Good, he feels good, and we talked with him this morning. That's good to hear," said Brewers manager Ned Yost after the Brewers lost, 11-4, to the Cubs on Sunday to close out the first half of the season before the All-Star break.

Ohka has been on the disabled list since May 3 with a partially torn right rotator cuff, and Sheets has been on the disabled list since May 2 with right shoulder tendinitis. The Brewers are 5-17 in games started by replacements for Ohka and Sheets, and yet they went into the break 44-46.

"We just have to get Tomo and Benny back," Yost said, "and I think it's going to really settle everything down."

The original plan for the pitchers' rehab schedule will have to be changed, though. Sheets was scheduled for his second rehabilitation start on Friday in Arizona in the rookie league. Unfortunately, because Ohka's original rehab start on Saturday was rained out, the two are now scheduled to pitch on the same day. This means that one of the two will have to be sent somewhere else for his Friday rehab start.
Fade2White12
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 41)

PreviousNext

Return to Injuries & Player Updates