Number of pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Number of pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Dark Treb » Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:31 pm

So, what's everyone's pitcher/hitter ratio?
Dark Treb
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Arlo » Sun Apr 28, 2002 6:59 pm

Roto keeper league (which I take very seriously): 14 hitters, 11 pitchers, 3 pitchers on DL. Many folks (cwebb, for instance), will usually use more hitters.

One-year roto (in which I'm allowing myself to be a bit more experimental): 10 bats, 13 arms (10 rp / 3 sp), 2 arms on DL. Hey, who needs a bench, anyway? :-{
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby EugeneStyles » Sun Apr 28, 2002 8:22 pm

I have two leagues that allow reserves (a third league has a 22 player team, with a 2 player DL). In one of them, I have 12 hitters, 10 pitchers. In the other, I have 13 hitters, 9 pitchers. Although I sometimes vary that, if I need more or less reserve space for injured players. I fluctuate between 4 hitters/2 pitchers and 2 hitters/4 pitchers on the bench.
EugeneStyles
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby nkeitt » Fri May 10, 2002 11:46 am

I have an update for you guys on the pitching situation.

One of the guys in our league decided to pull out (he had a falling out with our Commish over other personal things) and so we had a supplemental draft for his players.

I ended up with Pedro and Carlos Beltran, without having to trade anyone.

I decided to drod Daal and Mondesi. I know Mondesi will recover from his current doldrums, but I figured Beltran will help me to move up in the categories where I have a chance of competing (on-base, avg., steals, k's) and he'll hit enough homers to keep me out of the basement (especially once Helton and Alomar get fully into gear).

So I got my ace and all I had to give up was a guy who isn't starting anymore (I've got Riviera, Urbina, Herges and Julio as my RP's)!

NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Chicago » Fri May 10, 2002 1:40 pm

I hate supplemental drafts after someone quits, especially this late in the season. Everyone has put in a lot of work to build their teams a certain way, and the draft can ruin it all. I say, let the dead, stay dead, and leave the players on the team.
Chicago
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 2:32 pm

8-o Wow - that's quite a pickup. What pick did you have, and how was the draft order determined? Looks like your pitching woes ar eover...

In general, I agree that players on dead teams should be considered inactive - perhaps another owner can be found to fill in, returning the league to its original size.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nkeitt » Fri May 10, 2002 4:18 pm

The draft order was determined by current place in the league, worst to first. The order was then reversed for the 2nd round of picks (there were only two rounds), which was the system for our original draft.

I had the third pick (picks 1&2 got Schilling and Floyd, respectively) and am obviously rather pleased with how things turned out. As far as Chicago's comments go, I can appreciate where you are coming from. However, this draft was optional (so if you like your team you can keep it) and because it favored teams who are struggling, I think it will end up making the league more competitive over all.

The way I see it, if for some reason a team went insolvent during a season, their star players would find jobs somewhere (most likely the Yankees would buy them all for their playoff run...) B-)
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Fri May 10, 2002 5:14 pm

Floyd was taken before Pedro?? No wonder you're pleased! Not bad at all... :->
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nkeitt » Sat May 11, 2002 7:11 pm

I reckon the guy needed a bat more than he needed a pitcher, and Floyd's numbers so far are none too shabby.

I am still struggling with my pitching and I am wondering if I just need to go with a different strategy or something. I have two options, I can go with Pedro, Beckett (when he's healthy) and maybe one or two other starters (Clement and Tomko?) and then fill my three P spaces with relievers (I've got 5 pretty good ones) and just let them pitch. I have the worst ERA, W and L stats in my league, and almost the worst K's. I have good saves and holds, but that is it.

My other thought is to try and focus on improving in one or two stats, hopefully progressing from there. There are some decent pitchers out there and it is tempting to drop some guys who are struggling like Hernandez and Sabathia (especially Sabathia, he teased me and then killed me!) to try and grab a sleeper (is Rodrigo Lopez for real, or that guy that pitched for Florida a couple of days ago?) that might help me out!

If I can get out of the pitching basement I have a good shot at the top three in my league, which would be great for me for my first try. Any help you can offer would be great!

NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sat May 11, 2002 7:25 pm

Quick question first: where are you in terms of your league's innings limit? (In yahoo, check "View current info" under your team to see your pace). This will help determine how to go on from here.

I'll go out on a limb on the guys you mention in the meantime; keep in mind that this is just one opinion:

Sabathia and Hernandez will be up and down all season. Some day they'll look like Cy Young, other days they'll get shelled. I'd shop both, but steer clear of bids that are too low to help you.

I'm not abeliever in Lopez yet. He seems very intelligent and poised, but I think he lacks an out pitch to get himself out of jams. Maybe I'm just grumbling because he wasn't even near my pre-season radar screen, but I don't see him being more than an average starter.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers