Number of pitchers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Number of pitchers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Number of pitchers

Postby nkeitt » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:20 pm

I am playing in a Yahoo league and I am off to a slow start. I have made a few moves I like with free agents, particularly with pitchers. The things is that now I wonder if I have too many, and I should give up someone to get a bat or two that might fill the gap until my players heat up.

Here is my current roster (for tomorrow), if you have any advice I would appreciate it.

E. Marrero (C), T. Helton (1B), R. Alomar (2B), P. Nevin (3B), J. Rollins (SS), B. Giles/L. Berkman/J. Pierre (OF), J. Damon/C. Patterson/J. Burnitz (Util) - R. Mondesi, M. Mora (Bench)

B. Tomko/O. Daal (SP), M. Rivera/M. Herges(RP), U. Urbina/J.C. Romero/L. Hernandez (P), M. Clement/J. Beckett/C.C. Sabathia/R. Halladay (Bench)

Thanks,
NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan » Thu Apr 25, 2002 2:32 pm

I think the pitcher/batter relation looks fine.

Just some things: I would try to squeeze Mondesi into the lineup (maybe instead of Patterson?) or try to trade him together with one of your pitchers for a top pitcher.

The problem is not the number, but you dont have a real #1 pitcher. To see you depend on guys like Daal or Romero doesnt make me feelgood (despite Daals good start!)
Dan
Maitre D'
Maitre D'

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Guest » Thu Apr 25, 2002 3:01 pm

Who do you think I could get if I packaged Mondesi with Livan Hernandez (or should I use a different pitcher)? Would it make sense to throw Merrero in since his value is currently so high? (Damian Miller, Scott Hatteberg and Jason Varitek are all FA's in my league). I could then pick up Ryan Klesko, Derek Lee or Lee Stevens to fill in for Helton until he heats up.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:13 pm

Trading Livan Hernandez and/or Marrero while their values are at their peak would make sense, especially with other solid catchers available. I agree with Dan - a true ace would help a lot. Mondesi and Hernandez definitely make a solid trade package.

I don't think you need a fill-in for Helton; just keep playing him, and he'll be fine. It would be nice to have some more backups in case of injury, though. At the moment, you're a bit heavy on outfilders. Your lineup is certainly top-notch, but you need one or two proven starters.

By the way, I'd play Beckett over Romero. The kid isn't getting wins yet, but he's looking excellent.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nkeitt » Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:18 pm

I play Beckett on days that he starts, I agree, he should be really good. That brings me to another question - does it help to keep a lot of starters and rotate them through (with Yahoo I think I could start 5 pitchers in one day or something) or should I pick two and stick with 'em?

As far as trading Hernandez and Mondesi, how high should I aim? Is Mussina likely, or am I being ridiculous?
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Thu Apr 25, 2002 4:25 pm

Who you start depends on your inning cap. You obviously don't want to go overboard and start everyone all the time, run out of innings in early August and miss starts from your top guys. On the other hand, you absolutely should wind up using every single inning you're allotted. Having lots of pitchers allows you some flexibility, and you can also go by matchups, which can help as long as you don't outthink yourself.

Mussina sounds a bit high for Mondesi/Hernandez, although I wouldn't call the offer ridiculous. You can try it, but I think someone in the range of Wood/Morris, maybe even Hudson has a much greater chance of actually happening.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby nkeitt » Fri Apr 26, 2002 7:51 am

I am not aware of any innings limit for my league (I'll check on that), and I'll have a look at who's got Morris, Wood and Hudson and see what they might need in a trade.

If I add Marrero to the deal to get, say, Hudson, of the catchers I mentioned earlier, who should I pick up? I am leaning towards Hatteburg at the moment.

NK
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Fri Apr 26, 2002 8:12 am

All right - if you have no innings limit, you want to get as many starts as possible, and use your guys every chance you get (except in Colorado).

The catchers you listed are fairly even. I probably would have gone with Varitek, but it's almost too close to call at this point.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nkeitt » Sun Apr 28, 2002 3:14 pm

do you think that Livan Hernandez isn't an ace-type starter? I am hesitant to lose a guy that good unless he's over performing at the moment and won't keep it up.
nkeitt
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Arlo » Sun Apr 28, 2002 4:24 pm

At the moment, he's definitely overperforming - his numbers at the moment are definitely Cy-worthy. He might have a good season, or even a great season, even with slightly lesser numbers, but the risk he carries is too great for him to be considered a sure-fire ace at this point. Just think back to his 5.24 era last year...

If you feel he'll keep up his solid ways, keep riding him, but be aware that his bubble might burst soon. If you can trade him at high value, it might be a good idea.
Arlo
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers