Hort's Heavy Hitters - Potpourri - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team

Hort's Heavy Hitters - Potpourri

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Hort's Heavy Hitters - Potpourri

Postby bigh0rt » Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:41 pm

LEAGUE INFO:
10 Teams Head to Head
8x8 (H, OPS, TB / HLD, K/9, K/BB)

ROSTER: (UPDATED: 6/30/06)
C: Victor Martinez
1B: Albert Pujols
2B: Ian Kinsler
SS: Miguel Tejada
3B: Miguel Cabrera
MI: Troy Glaus
CI: Justin Morneau
OF: Jason Bay
OF: Adam Dunn
OF: Pat Burrell
OF: Jeff Francoeur
Util: Matt Holliday
Util: Aubrey Huff
DL: Hideki Matsui

SP: Johan Santana
SP: Randy Johnson
SP: Barry Zito
SP: Dave Bush
SP: Anthony Reyes
RP: Brad Lidge
RP: Huston Street
RP: Brian Fuentes
P: JJ Putz
P: Rafael Soriano
P: Kiko Calero
DL: Ben Sheets

STRATEGY NOTES:

* I'm currently trying to shop Calero and Soriano, if I can get an aging Ace closer (Hoffman, Rivera, Gordon) to all but guarantee a W in the Saves department each week, and effectively punt holds.

* I'm also currently trying to shop a Sheets/Matsui package for the best bat I can get. The best bat I've discussed has been Helton, which I'd say I have a 50/50 shot at getting. I'm pretty intent on moving both these as a package -- what other bats would you target??

* I've got a 50/50/50 (you heard me; he's 50/50 on it, and so am I :-b ) deal of sending Adam Dunn for Michael Young. I know it seems overkill, having 3 SS eligible players, but I figure Tejada/Glaus at Util is about as much of a waste as Dunn in the OF -- so I wouldn't mind relieving myself of a .240 AVG in favor of a .330 one. I think I can withstand the power dump here. Whaddaya think?

* Any specific areas you think I should touch upon, category-wise? Steals are out of the question -- but I'm open to anything else, really. I'd like to get another real strong pitcher; I've contemplated trying to sell Bush with my Matsui/Sheets proposal to get a guy like Peavy (just speculating) or another upper tier starter. Thoughts?
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:40 am

12 threads started after mine, 10 with replies, 11 views not counting my own...

... and people wonder why some of the Cafe's elder statesmen aren't so keen to help people out in this and DTKW... :-°

What part makes this request unappealing? Is it not having to guess about any information due to having it all laid out in front of you, or providing detailed questions that actually have purpose? Because frankly, I'm not quite sure...

Back to just asking my pals via AIM... crossing this forum off my list for the time being. :-C :^
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 820)

Postby chris8 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 4:04 am

On the whole, I like the way you're thinking with those ideas. Here's my take:

* Do you really need to punt holds to get one more closer? With 4 closers already, you stand a good chance each week in saves anyway, and dealing Calero & Soriano guarantees you a loss in that category. Plus they will help in most of the other pitching cats, including the K-per cats. I'd hold off on this plan, myself.

* Assuming this isn't a keeper league (and I'm sure you'd have told us if it is! ;-) ), anything you can get for Sheets & Matsui will be good. I would jump all over the Helton deal IF you can't get anything better. However, another starter would be useful, especially in a 10-teamer, so if you can get Peavy instead of Helton, I would probably take that instead.

* Young for Dunn = ;-D ;-D

* The other area I would look at is your OF. Holliday can slot into Dunn's place no problem, but you are still left with Burrell (sucking big time right now) and Francoeur (Mr. Inconsistent). If you can get Young, it might be worth shopping Glaus around - his extra eligibility may be enough to get you a nice OF back in return (or package him with one to get a better one back!)

Hope this helps ;-D
chris8
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 135)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sat Jul 01, 2006 10:58 am

I agree with everything that chris8 posted.

If you're set on punting the holds though then make it part of a bigger deal (I always find that the bigger you make the deal the better chance you have on winning the deal as long as you understand why you're making it in the first place). Package Glaus (who will probably only have SS eligibility for you until the end of 2007 anyways) along with both of your setup men to get a quality closer AND outfielder. Don't worry about it being a stud closer either - with 4 closers already you don't need a Hoffman to win the category every week - just a guy on a decent team that's not in danger of losing his job. Instead focus on getting the best outfielder you can. Maybe even toss in Burrell or Francoeur to the deal and aim REALLY high with the outfielder.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby MadDog36 » Sat Jul 01, 2006 11:42 am

No steals. Why? Heck You know what would mkae your team illegal? See if you can steal Ichiro away and maybe grab a mid-level power bat from the same guy if you could. I am not completely sold on Todd Helton. I think I might rather have Peavy.

If you could take the small hit in HRs and grab someone like Ichiro to help you in runs, steals, hits go for it dude. I wouldn't punt holds completely. Timlin, another good option for this year only. i don't know how well Calero is doing this year. I never have had to worry about holds :)

Guys I would target: Ichiro, Magglio, Jose Lopez for your 2b, hell maybe even Utley.
See if you can offer Burrell and Francouer and a starter you don't need grab an Ichiro and a power hitting 2b, or another OF like Magglio, or someonelike that that hits for average and puts up comparable HR totals close to dunns.
Join My Roto Keeper League:
viewtopic.php?t=466433
MadDog36
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse Team LeaderFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 3659)

Return to Analyze/Rate My Team