pitch by committee? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

pitch by committee?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

pitch by committee?

Postby briz » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:56 pm

Ive turned a new leaf in my fantasy league I think it might pan out. I drafted big hitters and didnt get any good pitchers, and up to this point in the league ive been feeling it. Usually dominating batting catagories and doing only average in the pitching ones.

So we are comming to the end of the season and my league is very tight raced, the top 8 teams are separated by only 5-8 games. Every move counts more than ever now if you want a playoff spot.

So this week I get piazza back AND sweeney is finally back and right off the bat im killing my opponent (who is in the playoff race as well, good team) but like always im getting beat on pitching Wins, Strikeouts, ERA, and Whip. And im just barely winning Saves by 1.

This has got to stop NOW. Im moving to a pitching by committee strategy. Basically im going to chuck ERA and WHIP out the window and concentrate on getting WINS, Saves, and Strikeouts for a totat of 8/2 points instead of splitting 5/5 or 6/4. By working the waivers and getting more starting pitchers in my lineup everynight even if they are poor pitchers in hopes to sqweek out more Wins and K's.

Does anyone else do this? I think it might work. My opponent only has a few starting pitchers this weekend, and I only have a few going as well but I can double that amount if I work the waivers. Check it out. Heres my team for this week:

C Piazza, Mike (C-NYM) 3/5 1 1 5 0 .600
1B Sweeney, Mike (1B, DH-KC) 4/11 2 0 7 0 .364
2B Castillo, Luis (2B-Fla) 6/16 3 0 0 1 .375
3B Blalock, Hank (3B-Tex) 3/11 0 0 3 0 .273
SS Furcal, Rafael (SS-Atl) 6/14 2 0 0 2 .429
OF Pujols, Albert (LF, 3B, 1B-StL) 6/17 6 3 7 0 .353
OF Sheffield, Gary (RF-Atl) 4/12 2 1 5 0 .333
OF Suzuki, Ichiro (RF-Sea) 7/16 4 0 4 1 .438
Util Lofton, Kenny (CF-ChC) 2/6 3 0 1 1 .333
Bench Gibbons, Jay (RF, 1B-Bal)

Pos Pitchers IP W SV K ERA WHIP
SP Hernandez, Livan (SP-Mon) - - - - - - (starts today)
SP Lackey, John (SP-Ana) - - - - - - (starts today)
RP Biddle, Rocky (RP, SP-Mon) 3.0 0 1 0 9.00 2.00
RP Kim, Byung-Hyun (RP, SP-Bos) 3.0 1 0 2 0.00 0.00
P Donnelly, Brendan (RP-Ana) 2.0 0 0 2 4.50 2.50
P Oliver, Darren (SP, RP-Col) - - - - - - (starts today)
P Kinney, Matt (SP-Mil) - - - - - - (starts today)
Bench Ortiz, Ramon (SP-Ana) 3.1 0 0 2 13.50 3.00
Bench Escobar, Kelvim (RP, SP-Tor) 7.0 1 0 7 2.57 1.43
Bench Jennings, Jason (SP-Col) 6.0 0 0 2 4.50 1.83 (starts sat ot sun
Bench Chacon, Shawn (SP-Col) - - - - - - (starts sat or sun)
Totals: 26.1 2 1 18 4.78 1.67

Score is 6/4. I got all batting cats, and Saves.
Im down Wins,K's,Era,Whip.

So after tonight im gunna drop Chacon, and Jennings, and pick up Runelvys Hernandez, and Horacio Rameriz who both start tommorrow. Do the same thing for Sunday drop Hernandez and Rameriz pick up two more starters, pump out some wins and more K's, get killed on ERA and WHIP but pull out a score of 8/2 instead of 6/4.

I havent been doing this up to this point because Ive been trying to keep the best pitchers and win those ERA and WHIP catagories. But its not working so pitching by committee is the new strategy.
briz

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:28 pm

Perfect example of why I don't play H2H leagues anymore. :-/
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby demoflauchy » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:37 pm

Seems like a lot of work to me... plus you don't get to enjoy the fruits of building a good team.
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: pitch by committee?

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 5:21 pm

briz wrote:Does anyone else do this? I think it might work.

some people do it and i am pretty sure it will work in your case but i am not a real big fan of it. it is legal but some people consider it immoral. you arent trying to build a better team, you are merely manipulating numbers (although there are some that say the manipulation of numbers is the point of fantasy baseball). to me, it seems to take the baseball out of fantasy baseball. if you employ that strategy, you dont need to know anything about the guys you are picking up other than that they are pitching the next day. the team that wins is the one that can hit the waiver wire for the most pitchers and not the one who has done the work drafting, trading, and picking up free agents. some leagues have innings limits and transaction restrictions specifically to stop this strategy.

you can do it if you want. apparently there arent any restrictions in your league so it is a legal strategy. you could also try to trade some of your hitting for a pitcher.

Postby briz » Fri Aug 15, 2003 6:27 pm

hmm yea i didnt even think of it like that because I did build a good team through the draft and through some trades, and picked up some keepers early in the season like Blahlock and Biddle off wires. So I dont think that im just trying to throw anyone in there I built a good team. But I can see what your saying. It can be considered not the "right" way to play. Thing is theres no other way to improve my pitching, im not gunna trade my batters for a pitcher when my batting will suffer as result. Its a strategy that I can employ without hurting my team.

I dont think it is wrong considering everyone has their fair share at the waiver wires, and could do the same thing. But I do see the point about it not being the right way to play.
briz

Return to Baseball Leftovers