rotisserie vs points - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

rotisserie vs points

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

rotisserie vs points

Postby orangecrushv » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:45 am

have some guy in my league complaining about rotisserie scoring, quoted as follows:

This rotisserie scoring is pretty much worthless. I said from the beginning that I had never played in a league that wasn't point based and I never will again. The top four teams have had exactly the same point totals since June. It's like batting average. This late in the season, going 5 for 5 isn't going to make a dent in your numbers. What is the incentive for managers to stick out the entire season when there is no chance to mount a comeback? I went from 7th to 2nd in the last month of our hockey season with a scoring frenzy. Here, my entire roster would have to go on a tear in 11 different categories to have a minimal impact on the standings. That said, props to all but three teams in this league for seeing this through to the end. If you guys want to start a POINT BASED head to head football league, count me in.

What does everyone else think about the different types of scoring out there?

-Rich
orangecrushv
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:34 am

I like roto better because you have to have a balanced team.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 291)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:46 am

I disagree. I think both are fun, but I like rotisserie a little better overall. I like points because you don't have to have a balanced team. You can get your poitns from wherever you choose msotly, and I find that fun. In real life you can try nd skimp on pitching and win with hitting, and vice versa. You can't do that in roto. But if you do weant to make a comeback in roto, I think you can do it quicker. In points based leagues the elader is still accumulating points so you are always after a moving target. In roto, you can directly take points away from people while claiming yourself. So you are moving towards your opponents, but also pulling them backwards. I like that element of it myself. It seems like a points based league could have an insurmountable lead.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:04 pm

I prefer Roto over points leagues. Points are too easy. Roto takes more work and a balanced team.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Guest » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:38 pm

Points all the way. I am in a roto league and a points league. I think head to head points is more exciting and fun. While roto is kind of boring. Points are especially fun b/c it is more than just 5 catergories by 5 catergories. In my points league things like pick offs, caught stealing, loses, complete games, shut outs, doubles, triples, and hitting for the cycle all count for positive or negative points. While there may be more luck involved in head to head it is much more entertaining but it remains challenging.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:51 pm

roto requires more strategy
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby demoflauchy » Fri Aug 15, 2003 4:43 pm

Points keeps the league a bit more balanced when you don't have all the owners with the same enthusiasm...

Roto tends to favor those with occupations that allow for lots of hours spent mulling over stats and possibilities.

Points ;-D
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby eftda » Fri Aug 15, 2003 7:27 pm

pkarr5000 wrote:roto requires more strategy

and luck
eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 9:25 pm

eftda wrote:
pkarr5000 wrote:roto requires more strategy

and luck

I disagree. H2H and points leagues are affected more by "luck" than a roto league. I've played them all for many years.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Aug 15, 2003 10:25 pm

Roto is definately better than points..and H2H for that matter.... ;-)
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers