Girl in the subway? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Girl in the subway?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Girl in the subway?

Postby PresHabib » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:55 am

Obviously, when this happened I was looking the other direction, but could someone please tell me why anytime someone mentions Randy Wolf someone says "the girl in the subway"? Im really curious as to what this means because I don't have a clue. Thanks.
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DieHardCubbie » Fri Aug 15, 2003 12:58 am

Pres...I noticed the same thing...I don't have a answer though...I would like to know what it is.....
[b]Useless Trivia of the day[/b]

England's Worcester Canoe Club set the world record for paddling a hand-propelled bathtub. The 25 man team covered a distance of 55 miles, 425 yards in 24 hours on September 28 and 29, 1979.
DieHardCubbie
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby bman » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:03 am

aparently wolf bumped into a girl on the subway, or said a few words to her, then fell desperately in love with her. So he made announcers say that if the "girl in the subway" is watching, can you please contact randy wolf or the organization? I think thats it, there may be more to it....

she never did contact him though i believe
bman
College Coach
College Coach

Postby PresHabib » Fri Aug 15, 2003 1:05 am

seriously? thats F-in hilarious! hahaha
Rest in peace Mitch Hedberg. I name my fantasy team "Buoyancy of Citrus", in your honor.
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:34 am

Here's the story if you want it:

Phillies All-Star keeps making his pitch for subway knockout
July 16, 2003

BY CAROL SLEZAK

Randy Wolf's mystery woman resembles Natalie Portman, the gorgeous actress. Taller, but with the same hair and eyes.

With his red hair and pale blue eyes, Wolf looks a little like the actor Anthony Michael Hall. He also looks a bit like Ian Ziering of "Beverly Hills 90210" fame. And Opie.

Wolf met the mystery woman on a New York subway platform when she asked him for directions to Times Square. But "met" is a misleading word. Their conversation lasted 30 seconds, tops. He doesn't even know her name.

"It's straight out of a John Cusack [movie]," Wolf said.

Ah, serendipity. It's not often you meet someone in the New York subway system. People are moving too fast. It's too crowded.

"You know how it is," Wolf said. "It sticks out when one person doesn't belong. She didn't belong in a good way."

Wolf, 26, pitches for the Philadelphia Phillies. He was the team's only All-Star representative. The Phillies lead the National League wild-card standings, and Wolf, a left-handed starter, has 10 wins. But at a media session this week, Wolf's love life was a hotter topic than the All-Star Game, his pitching or the Phillies' chances. (I offer this as proof that even the most jaded sports journalists are romantics at heart.)

Wolf's encounter with the mystery woman happened in May, when the Phillies were playing the Mets in New York. Wolf, who took the subway to Shea Stadium, was waiting for the No. 7 train when the woman approached him and asked for directions. She was wearing light brown suede bell-bottoms. She was about 5-6, pretty, and looked to be in her early 20s. That's all he knows about her.

"Because I have no game, I didn't get her phone number or anything," he explained with a self-deprecating laugh. "It clicked for me. I don't know if it clicked for her."

When he got to the clubhouse that day, he told some teammates about his encounter. Word traveled, and soon his story was picked up by the New York media. Everyone wanted to help Wolf reconnect with the mystery woman. But she hasn't come forward. A lot of people contacted the Phillies by e-mail, claiming to be her. The Phillies forwarded the promising e-mails to Wolf. Alas, Wolf determined that all of the e-mailers were impostors.

Who is the mystery woman? Where did she go? For all Wolf knows, she could live in Nebraska. She could live overseas. For all Wolf knows, she's married (although he doesn't think she is). He doubts she's a New Yorker. She asked for directions to Times Square--and what New Yorker doesn't know where Times Square is? (Then again, it's possible her question was an excuse to approach him because she thought he was cute.)

Wolf isn't obsessed with the mystery woman. At least, he hasn't been for many weeks. Not that he minds talking about her. He even thinks it's funny that his teammate Ricky Ledee calls him "train stalker."

"[The media] got hold of [the story] and it kind of blew up," Wolf said. "But I just try and have fun with it."

That seems to be Wolf's philosophy about a lot of things. To him, just being around the other All-Stars was "awesome" and "unbelievable." He met Tommy Lasorda on Sunday night, and that was great. He was blown off by Tom Arnold of "The Best Damn Sports Show Period," and that was funny. And Wolf's All-Star experience has been made all the better because he's sharing it with his mom.

When Wolf was named to the All-Star team, he called his mom and said, "So, do you want me to call a travel agent to book your flight to Chicago?" When she realized he was an All-Star, she choked up.

"I was getting choked up, too," Wolf said. "But I hid it really well."

Imagine that--a single guy who is talented, funny and sensitive. The more Wolf talks, the more you want the mystery woman to come forward. This story needs closure. But as time passes, the likelihood diminishes.

"Maybe she saw a picture of me and said, 'I'll pass,'" Wolf said with a laugh.

Not that he's carrying a torch for her.

"If she knows about me, she probably thinks I need to move on and get a life," he said, laughing again.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Madison » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:37 am

Interesting....Thanks for the story Lofunzo! ;-D
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Aug 15, 2003 2:41 am

No problem. I remembered it from a little while back and wanted to do a search on Yahoo for a refresher.

The things we do for love....... ;-)
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby DGroundhog » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:22 am

Like ball players don't get enough trim, now they are enlisting the help of the media to find their next 'booty call'?

Is it too late to change careers?

[b][size=18]70*[/size][/b]
* Steroid induced record
DGroundhog
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mtarail » Fri Aug 15, 2003 3:24 am

A desperate pro baller. I've seen it all. He should chill with Jeter the next time he's in NY.... ;-)
Bluto: Over? Did you say over? NOTHING is over until WE decide it is! Was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor? HELL, NO!
Otter: Germans?
Boon: Forget it, he's rolling.
mtarail
General Manager
General Manager

Postby PresHabib » Fri Aug 15, 2003 11:08 am

Hahha, awww thats actually a pretty sweet story. You gotta feel at least a little bit confident that there are girls out there who dont come crawling back to ballplayers all the time, gives us all hope. Well...not me, but whatever, lol. Good for Randy. Thanks for the info bro!
1968-2005
PresHabib
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers