Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Geek » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:46 pm

Ken Singleton. :-P
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:51 pm

My cousin and I grew up watching virtually every braves and cubs games together plus the playoff games, and whenever we get together and catch a game now, everybody says we ought to be an announcing team because all we do is call the game anyway. Plus my cuz is hilarious and a great story teller.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby LukeW9027 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Daron Sutton and Bill Schroeder of the Brewers TV team. By far the biggest homers/ incompetent idiots i have ever listened to. all they do is rave on and on about how great the brewers are, making them seem like they are perrenial title contenders or something like that. they also haveno baseball intelligence, its like they have no idea whats going on in the field.

:-°
Blind Bidders Auction Keeper League- League Champ
Cafe Bums- Last Place
LukeW9027
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:14 pm

RGreener26 wrote:John Miller is also good, very funny, almost as funny as Bob Uecker.

;-D

miller is very underrated. i like him.

:-t

i love kalas, but i cannot stand to hear him doing baseball because of his work with NFL films.

everytime that i hear him doing baseball play-by-play, i expect to see the player run in slow motion and while listening for an orchaestra to chime in.

one of the braves announcers (pete van ieren) said that when you do radio, you need to paint a picture that is capable of turning into a visual for the listening audience.

if there is the smell of popcorn in the air, then tell it. if the grass is so green that it looks like it's neon, then say it. if there are some kids in the stands having a good time, then say it.

make the listener feel as if he is at the game watching it....despite the fact that he is listening to it on the radio.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:17 pm

johnsamo wrote:Harry Carey was great because you could tell he was drinking during the game, so by the time you hit the 7th, he was often pretty liquored up (and a friendly drunk) and his pitch location calls were often hilariously off. It was funny to listen to Steve try to rein him in and try and keep Harry focussed. Steve sometimes started to do the play by play while Harry told you some long story about the time he, Ernie Banks, and Ron Santo went out to dinner twenty years ago. But more than anything, you could tell Harry loved baseball, the cubs and the fans. He was a homer in the best sense of the word but he wouldn't hold back on criticism either.

I used to work at a televsion station with some sports guys that recorded the cubs games just so they could hear what a half drunken harry said.

They would treat the tape like the holy grail after each game as they cued up harry being harry. and they would look at each other in disbelief and slowly erupt with laughter.
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:19 pm

flowbee wrote:Didnt "that braves guy" call one of the Japanese players an oriental? lol I remember that from a couple years ago

you should hear one of the guys from the local sports radio 790thezone imitate skip caray while talking about strippers...

classic stuff
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shmolex » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:46 pm

Krunk City King$ wrote:
RGreener26 wrote:John Miller is also good, very funny, almost as funny as Bob Uecker.

;-D

miller is very underrated. i like him.

miller truly shines on the post game show. I'd pay to hear the post game show with all the great lines that miller comes up with after the game. ;-D
shmolex
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Krunk City King$ » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:54 pm

guess that i should add chris berman to the worst list.....

:-P
Krunk City King$
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby RAmst23 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:56 pm

I don't mind listening to Hrabosky and McLaughlin that much.. it could be alot worse..

An ESPN guy I would like to hear more from is actually Orel Hershiser (sp?). He has great insights and provides tons of info during the game.
...Boston papers now and then suffer a sharp flurry of arithmetic on this score; indeed, for Williams to have distributed all his hits so they did nobody else any good would constitute a feat of placement unparalleled in the annals of selfishness. -Updike
RAmst23
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby George_Foreman » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:06 pm

The Braves have an awsome crew for calling games (with the notable exception of Chip Caray, who is just awful, especially in comparisson for his grandfather (Harry) and father (Skip)).

"Boring" is what you guys call them? Well sure, they don't blow a gasket every time a ground ball gets hit to the short stop. They have what I view as a very good approach to the game. They're calm and relaxed when the game is playing out that way, and that just makes the excitement and tension you feel from their calls in the high-pressure situations all the more palpable. Skip Caray and Joe Simpson are probably my favorite two. Their awful puns are hilarious, and they genuinely seem like they're having a good time calling the games (well, at least when the Braves aren't losing 20 of 25....).

Anyhow, I don't feel like I need to get "excitement" from the announcers or whatever. I get that from the game. All I want from the guys in the box is an accurate picture of what's going on and a good time listening. If all you wanted from a sportscaster was yelling and arrogance, you can go listen to Marcela Balboa call some World Cup. :-P
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers