Bad Announcers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Bad Announcers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:05 pm

Trot Nixon wrote:I love Castiglione and Trupiano (Red Sox announcers)! Trup is hilarious in my opinion...Anywhos on Fox a couple saturdays ago, the Sox were playing the Braves and the announcers were AWFUL! I have no idea who it was but they were soooo bad.

NOOOO!!!

I'm with you acs. The Red Sox radio guys are really terrible.

"Way back! WAAAY BACCK! Caught in shallow center field."

And there was a thread against those White Sox radio guys I think. :-b
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Dan Lambskin » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:12 pm

Rod Allen, who provided the color commentary for Tigers games on FSN Detroit is absolutely brutal...he's told the same story about Kenny Rogers growing up on a Strawberry farm about 15 times
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Laean » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:29 pm

johnsamo wrote:The Brave guys sound bored all the time

Rex Hudler on the Angel's broadcast thinks every Angel is great

The best are Vin Scullly and Steve Stone and of course, the late great Harry Carey

I suspect Bob Eucker is hilarious but I don't get Brewer games

yeah that gets pretty annoying, even as an angels fan. we're not dumb man. just be honest with us, jeez. don't worry, it's not like we're going to stop being fans because you gave an honest criticism of an angels player.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby RGreener26 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:33 pm

Best TV Announcers: Vin Scully is #1, and it really isn't close. A couple of weeks ago some player got hit by a broken bat, and Scully goes on for the next 5 minutes telling a story about the worst injury he's ever seen from a broken bat happening to Mel Ott, who played in the 40s. Prett amazing. Also Harry Kalas. John Miller is also good, very funny, almost as funny as Bob Uecker.

Worse are by far the White Sox TV announcers. There is actually a website devoted to telling people just how much they suck. You can even buy a t-shirt saying it. Also Joe Buck is pretty pathetic. The only reason he has a job is because of his dad. Joe Morgan is terrible too.
RGreener26
College Coach
College Coach

Postby flowbee » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:21 pm

Didnt "that braves guy" call one of the Japanese players an oriental? lol I remember that from a couple years ago
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:27 pm

Yeah, Vin Scully doesn't have alzheimers that's for sure. He does a good job of calling the game and doing the color. In a baseball trivia contest, I wouldn't want to be up against Scully.

What I like about Steve Stone is he knows the secrets behind the pitchers versus hitters duel real well. I've been watching baseball my entire life and he still tells me things I never thought of... He's also real good at spotting the exact a moment a pitcher is losing it. Without fail, Stone can point out some mechanics change and within a few pitches, the guy starts getting tagged or can't throw a strike.

Rex Hudler.... geez.... He's like that guy at the bar you find an excuse to get away from ASAP.

I'm on a Angels fan site, and revulsion for Hudler is universal. Some even put the TV on mute and listen to the radio, even though there'ss like a 5 second delay.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Birds05 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:34 pm

Great thread. I was just talking about this with a buddy the other day. MLB TV has really shown me how bad TV baseball announcers are.

The White Sox guys are TERRIBLE. They call the game like annoying fans. Last week I was watching the Reyes vs. Garcia game and every time a White Sox player hit a close one foul, one the guys would yell, "Stay Fair...STAY FAIR!!"

Who's calling this game, my little sister?

Also, IMO the Giants TV guys are a joke. They talk about anything besides the game.
Birds05
College Coach
College Coach

Postby rentz » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:37 pm

the whitesox tv guys are just horrible. they really do sound like they are drunk fans pulled from the stands.

also, i really dont mind joe buck or guys who talk about things other than baseball, keeps your attention sometimes when the games going slow.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:39 pm

Harry Carey was great because you could tell he was drinking during the game, so by the time you hit the 7th, he was often pretty liquored up (and a friendly drunk) and his pitch location calls were often hilariously off. It was funny to listen to Steve try to rein him in and try and keep Harry focussed. Steve sometimes started to do the play by play while Harry told you some long story about the time he, Ernie Banks, and Ron Santo went out to dinner twenty years ago. But more than anything, you could tell Harry loved baseball, the cubs and the fans. He was a homer in the best sense of the word but he wouldn't hold back on criticism either.

The Braves guys... It's like they have compromising photos of the boss and know they can't be fired, so they don't really care.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hybrid » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:40 pm

I don't happen to watch the D'Backs TV guys much, but I was recently due to Felix pitching against them. Mark Grace likes the term "Gas" way to much. Now I can understand when Felix is throwing 97-98, but not when the D'Backs guy is consistently throwing low 90's.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers