Will Papelbon Close in 2007?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Fri Jun 30, 2006 11:03 am

dc928 wrote:I think I'd take Papelbon over Verlander
Me too.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Red Sox Nation » Fri Jun 30, 2006 1:02 pm

sox 06 wrote:
jh2031 wrote:He'll be moved to the rotation most likely. Maybe some Red Sox fans can help me out but isn't Craig Hansen going to be the closer?

I am a Sox fan and they do eventually want Paps to be a starter but not this year with the whole Foulke deal. yet i have heard nothing of hansen being the closer. they still want to get foulke back into that role but that wont happen this year.

The Red Sox drafted Hansen to be the "heir" to the closer role. Now that Foulke's career is likely over, it could be a battle between Papelbon and Hansen. One of them will be a starter even if they have to stretch Hansen to become a starter because Hansen hasn't really shown his abillity to pitch and close games. He's got the best arm out of the new Sox pitchers (Pap, Lester, and Hansen) but he just hasn't shown it at the major league level yet. Expect to see Lester start next year because I highly doubt he'll be sent down.

Basically the Sox starting rotation is in danger. If no injuries happen, only 3 positions will fill up (Schilling (what's his contract like and would he retire?), Beckett, and Wakefield (like Schilling, what's his contract and would his age limit him or would he retire?). I will be very pissed if they keep Wells and/or Clement.

Knights wrote:I don't think it matters for you one way or another... don't use up a keeper spot with a closer, especially with only 4 keepers.

Indeed, closer jobs are the easiest to lose. I wouldn't both keeping any closers. Just draft them normally and there are always going to be upcoming closers in the following year much like this year.
Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Secret Avatar » Sat Jul 01, 2006 1:28 pm

If Paps continues to slam the door in the 9th this year, the odds of him joining the starting rotation in 2007 are slim. Iron-clad closers are hard to find. I'd be shocked if Boston screws with such a good thing by sticking an unproven rookie -- Hansen -- into the role.

As for Hansen, yeah he was originally supposed to be the future closer, but things change. They can try to convert him into a starter (which I understand they are already trying to do), use him as an elite setup guy (a la Scott Shields), or deal him (hot closing prospects are valuable).

Of course, all this depends on Paps. If he falters in the second half, all bets are off.
I am the Master. Don't question the Master. Just do what he says and be proud.
Secret Avatar
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby olsonea » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:26 am

The Sox have the back end of their bullpen set for the future. It should be Delcarmen-Hanson-Papelbon in the 7th, 8th, and 9th for years to come. Their rotation is old, and young. Schilling and Wakefield are older than dirt, yet Beckett is 25, and Lester doesn't look old enough to drink yet.
C Napoli 1B Hafner 2B Uggla 3B Upton SS Mig. Tejada
OF Juan Pierre, Sizemore, Wells UTIL Carlos Peña BN Swisher, Glaus
SP James Shields, Clemens, Lackey, Oliver Pérez, Maine, Webb, Lincecum
RP Nathan, Mo Rivera, Al Reyes
olsonea
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:43 am

You might enjoy reading a thread titled The Reasons Papelbon will never go in the rotation in Boston. ;-)
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates