draft lottery - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

draft lottery

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

draft lottery

Postby moose32 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:59 am

We're thinking of making things more interestinf in our keeper league. Last year we did a straigh last place gets first pick and so on. This year we want to do a lottery. Has anyone tried this out? If so, how'd it work?

We have ten teams so we were thinking of a breakdown like this

10th place- 25% chance of first pick
9th place- 20%
8th place- 15%
7th place 10%
6th place-9%
5th place-8%
4th place-6%
3rd place-4%
2nd place2%
1st place1%
moose32
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am

We do a modified version... we pay out to the first 6 teams, so the bottom 6 teams get into the lottery. But the extra twist we do is that the 7th place team gets the best odds of the 1st pick, with the last place team getting the 6th best odds. The Top 6 teams pick in reverse order, with the champion getting the 12th and 13th picks in a snake draft. This model forces teams in the bottom half to fight for a higher spot in the standings instead of getting rewarded for tanking.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:47 am

Bloody Sox wrote:We do a modified version... we pay out to the first 6 teams, so the bottom 6 teams get into the lottery. But the extra twist we do is that the 7th place team gets the best odds of the 1st pick, with the last place team getting the 6th best odds. The Top 6 teams pick in reverse order, with the champion getting the 12th and 13th picks in a snake draft. This model forces teams in the bottom half to fight for a higher spot in the standings instead of getting rewarded for tanking.

That's a good idea. ;-D

The original poster does reward tanking. That can also throw off the balance of the league if someone towards the bottom decides to sell off their team to someone in 3rd or something.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby deerayfan072 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:52 am

we do a little differnt. Last place gets first pick of what spot they want to draft from. Then you ask second to last etc. until you get to the winner and he gets stuck with whatever spot is left. I did this b/c if the last place guy gets first pick he has to wait a while for another pick, maybe picking in the middle will get him better value sooner and help to compete again the next year.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Bloody Sox » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:17 pm

deerayfan072 wrote:we do a little differnt. Last place gets first pick of what spot they want to draft from. Then you ask second to last etc. until you get to the winner and he gets stuck with whatever spot is left. I did this b/c if the last place guy gets first pick he has to wait a while for another pick, maybe picking in the middle will get him better value sooner and help to compete again the next year.

Yeah, actually with the system I described in the post above, we technically do what you just said - it just always works out that given the choice, people in my league prefer the highest pick possible. As I said, I don't like rewarding the last place team, especially if they just ignored their team once they're out of it.
"The government cannot give to anyone anything that it does not first take from someone else"
Bloody Sox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 18)

Return to Baseball Leftovers