100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Good Riddance

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Good Riddance

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:23 am

Colorado chancellor: Fire professor
Ward Churchill compared WTC victims to Holocaust Nazi

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 Posted: 0909 GMT (1709 HKT)

BOULDER, Colorado (AP) -- The University of Colorado's top official called on the school Monday to fire Ward Churchill, the professor who compared some World Trade Center victims to a Nazi and then landed in hot water over allegations of academic misconduct.

Interim Chancellor Philip DiStefano said Churchill has 10 days to go to a faculty committee to appeal his recommendation. Churchill, a tenured professor of ethnic studies, has denied allegations of plagiarism.

Churchill did not immediately return telephone messages Monday. His attorney, David Lane, said his client will appeal through university channels but doesn't think the school will reverse the firing.

"I can't imagine that CU is going to suddenly decide the First Amendment deserves some respect," Lane said. He said Churchill would sue if the firing is upheld.

In an essay written shortly after the 2001 terrorist attacks, Churchill described some of the victims in the World Trade Center as "little Eichmanns," a reference to World War II Holocaust architect Adolf Eichmann.

The essay was largely ignored until January 2005, when it came to light before Churchill was to speak at Hamilton College in upstate New York.

The essay triggered calls for Churchill to be fired, but university officials concluded he could not be dismissed because of free speech protections.

They did order an investigation into allegations of academic misconduct, which concluded two weeks ago.

The school's committee on research misconduct said Churchill "has committed serious, repeated, and deliberate research misconduct."

DiStefano agreed and said he has told Churchill he hopes to dismiss him. (Watch the chancellor announce his decision -- 6:46)

Churchill has been relieved of academic work but will remain a paid faculty member as long as the firing is in the appeals process, university officials said.

If Churchill appeals to the faculty committee, members would make a recommendation to university system President Hank Brown, spokeswoman Jeanine Malmsbury said.

Brown would then make a recommendation to the Board of Regents, which has the final say.

If Churchill doesn't appeal, Brown would recommend action to the regents.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 6)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby PlayingWithFire » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:00 am

Too much human right in this country? This can't be it.
Are you interested in joining a 28 teams dynasty league? If so, PM me.
PlayingWithFire
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:00 am

One of the current trends in American politics that bothers me a lot is people who disagree with what somebody is saying trying to shut them up rather than debate them. It's not a partisan issue, there are as many Liberals trying to shut up Conservatives as vice versa, but I hate to see it.

This is a little different, because apparently he's getting fired for acedemic misconduct, but I remember when Churchill first made the news, people were saying he had to be fired, had to be shut up, that he shouldn't be allowed to speak on campuses. People showed up to events he was scheduled to speak at and shouted him down so he couldn't get a word in. It's ridiculous, if you disagree with someone, debate them, don't try to silence them. If your view is correct then it will win out.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby avsfan4ever33 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:21 am

This is long overdue. Good riddance indeed.
avsfan4ever33
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle EyeSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby acsguitar » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:23 am

I agree with Art 100%. The man made a point and if you don't agree with it fine. But at least listen to his point and debate over it.

CU is taking a major step back in academia. He didn't commit a crime and he didn't say anything that was racist or full of hate.

He had a point he made it and if he's wrong fine. But it's his opinion and at least he researched it as an academic. While nearly everyone who attacks him is persecuting based on 1 minute clips they've seen on television. :-t

I hope he sue's and wins
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby RugbyD » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:33 am

acsguitar wrote:I agree with Art 100%. The man made a point and if you don't agree with it fine. But at least listen to his point and debate over it.

CU is taking a major step back in academia. He didn't commit a crime and he didn't say anything that was racist or full of hate.

He had a point he made it and if he's wrong fine. But it's his opinion and at least he researched it as an academic. While nearly everyone who attacks him is persecuting based on 1 minute clips they've seen on television. :-t

I hope he sue's and wins

why are you ignoring his record of blatant academic misconduct?
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker

Postby CubsFan7724 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:02 pm

acsguitar wrote:I agree with Art 100%. The man made a point and if you don't agree with it fine. But at least listen to his point and debate over it.

I hope he sue's and wins

Why argue his point? He wrote it not to make any reasonable debate or point, but to make as big a controversey as possible, and it worked, which lead to him getting increased venues to speak at. He hasn't even really backed his points. How are the victims in the WTC bombings like high ranking Nazi officials? Not to mention he should automatically lose for misusing the word Nazi or Hitler in any sort of argument. Godwin's Law, ya know?
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Jun 30, 2006 3:24 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:One of the current trends in American politics that bothers me a lot is people who disagree with what somebody is saying trying to shut them up rather than debate them. It's not a partisan issue, there are as many Liberals trying to shut up Conservatives as vice versa, but I hate to see it.

This is a little different, because apparently he's getting fired for acedemic misconduct, but I remember when Churchill first made the news, people were saying he had to be fired, had to be shut up, that he shouldn't be allowed to speak on campuses. People showed up to events he was scheduled to speak at and shouted him down so he couldn't get a word in. It's ridiculous, if you disagree with someone, debate them, don't try to silence them. If your view is correct then it will win out.

I'll agree with you that showing up to shout someone down and not allow him to speak isn't right...if people want to listen to this drivel that's their business and no one should stand in the way of that.

However the university has an image to uphold. Whether keeping him on in the interest of promoting an image of supporting speech no matter how offensive or firing him in the interest of showing they don't support his point of view that decision should be up to the university. The right to freedom of speech doesn't protect you from being fired from your job - it protects you from being incarcerated for your beliefs and your speech.

Now, given the tenure rules at most universities they probably couldn't have fired him even if they wanted to fire him based on his speech alone but that's not a matter of free speech...that's simply contract law.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby acsguitar » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:40 pm

The funny thing is that this guy is too liberal for boulder. Now if you've never been to boulder that doesn't mean much but trust me it means something.

CU has been a laughing stock of an institution for years now.

Oh and how are the 9/11 victims like Nazi's.

Ok I don't believe this but due to my open mind I can understand I think.

Now I don't know what firms were in WTC but anyways I'll do it from my point of view.

I worked for Lockheed Martin. Lockheed Martin makes weapons for war.

Now I didn't make the weapons but I did tech support for people who created the weapons who sold them to the government who used them to kill people in the middle east.

I think thats what he ment. Basically down the line the money from the WTC went to making America an Imperialistic enterprise which was trying to build up israel and put down the muslim world through global domination.

So its a long shot but I see where he can say they were as bad as nazi's as they could be seen as contributing to the financial gain of a country that is an enemy to muslim ideals.

I don't agree but I see what he means.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Coppermine » Fri Jun 30, 2006 4:42 pm

So basically he's like a leftist Pat Robertson?
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Next

Return to General Talk