Doug Davis scratched from start vs. Cubs - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Doug Davis scratched from start vs. Cubs

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Doug Davis scratched from start vs. Cubs

Postby The Big Train » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:28 am

Davis has been scratched from his start Thursday vs. the Cubs after experiencing back spasms earlier in the week. Gee, nice of them to tell us now...

CHICAGO -- Milwaukee scratched Doug Davis from his scheduled start in Thursday's series finale against Chicago. The Brewers will instead go with right-hander Geremi Gonzalez, a former Cub who will be making his first Brewers start.

Gonzalez will become the 12th different pitcher to start a game for the Brewers this season, tying Kansas City for most in the Majors.

Davis last pitched Saturday at Kansas City and said he woke up Sunday morning to find the right side of his lower back had locked up. He reported improvement each day since, and said he does not expect to miss more than one start.

"We made great progress every day, but it's not 100 percent," said Davis, who is 4-5 this season with a 4.82 ERA. "If I go out there and pitch, I would probably still be 80-85 percent and there is a chance I could inflame it again. We made a decision to skip this start, knock it out, and nurse it back to being 100 percent every time."

Davis stood with his arms extended and showed that his hips are visibly out of whack because of the tight muscles in his back. He suffered similar spasms early in Spring Training, but said his latest bout is much less serious.

Gonzalez, acquired on May 26 from the Mets for right-handed reliever Mike Adams, is 0-0 with a 6.08 ERA in seven appearances this season, including three starts. All four of his appearances with Milwaukee have come in relief, most recently a 4 2/3-inning scoreless stint at Kansas City in relief of Davis.

He was told Wednesday morning that he would start Thursday.

"I just have to be mentally aggressive and prepared," Gonzalez said. "Hopefully it can work out for us. Like I said earlier, any time they want to give me the ball, I'm going to take it. Hopefully Mr. Davis is back next time."

Lol, love the courtesy from Gonzalez
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates