Joe Mauer has the best eye in baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Mauer has the best eye in baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby MMoNeY24 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:45 pm

Giambi strikes out swinging, but very rarely looking and usually gets balls on close pitches. I haven't seen Mauer enough on TV or live to compare them, but a .392 average and that few K's says enough for him. ;-D
MMoNeY24
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerGraphics ExpertWeb SupporterSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:05 pm

That guy...what's his name...Pooholes?? He has a pretty good eye too... :-b ;-)
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby chadlincoln » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:11 pm

Bonds has a great eye...
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Drunken Rhino » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:13 pm

I know Mauer has a TERRIFIC eye, but best in baseball I'm going to have to go w/ the guy who has averaged more walks than hits in his past 4 healthy seasons and has 2378 career walks. Barry Bonds.
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:50 pm

Youkilis has a pretty darned good eye too. Not Bonds good and probably not Mauer good but it's still pretty darned good. ;-D
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:50 pm

johnsamo wrote:I haven't watched his games, but box scores don't lie. When hot streaks last this long, they cease to be streaks and are basically saying this guy can just plain hit. He's special, so special, I'd transition him to third base. You can't risk that kind of hitter taking the physical punishment a catcher takes. Besides long term knee and general fatigue over a season and a career, One bad collission at the plate and he can be out for the season. Any player can have that, but catcher's face a much higher risk with all the close plays at the plate.

Doesn't have Teddy's power, but hitting 400 seems doable if he stays healthy, keeps learning and has protection behind him. That turf has to bump his average a bit, but he'd be hitting anywhere.

Yeah...or at the very least have him only catching 1 or 2 games a week. You can't burn out a guy like that in the field...he's too valuable with his bat.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:12 pm

cordscords wrote:
Mauer was struck out once during his high school career, by Paul Feiner (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... e=printart), and hit .605 during his senior season. (Jacob Wolf of Jordan also struck him out in a high school all-star game

-Wikipedia

Almost as impressive as Kazmir's no-no's.

great article. Thanks for the link ;-D
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Chrisy Moltisanti » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:27 pm

Mauer cannot be considered to have a better eye than Bonds, Pujols, Abreu, Helton, Giambi, Manny(others?) and I'd even add Hafner, Youkilis and Frank Thomas (still has yet to prove he doesn't, imo). It will take more than less than half a season and decent previous years to take that title. Once pitchers really start staying away from him we'll have a critical piece of knowledge in truly knowing his eye. 34 BB, 27 K isn't amazing for a 5 HR guy taking 3.85 pitches per PA.
Chrisy Moltisanti
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby ngub12 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:36 pm

a little lesser known is mark loretta. has a great eye for pitches, rarely strikes out... ive hear people call loretta the ideal #2 hitter.
ngub12
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby DK » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:49 pm

Laean wrote:
Redefine9d wrote:I thought I heard this somewhere, but Joe Mauer never struck out, not even once, in his 4 years of high school baseball.

i heard cole hamels had an avg, obp, slugging%, and ops all of 1.000.

It'd be hard to have an OBP of 1000, Slugging of 1000, and have your OPS only be 1.000. :-b
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers