Joe Mauer has the best eye in baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Mauer has the best eye in baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:42 am

Well obviously, if you don't have a good option, you keep him their for now, but I was the GM I'd defintely be looking to develop one or trade for a good one at some point. A catcher that's good with pitchers is worth his weight in gold, but it can be developed if you've got a smart kid in the minors with a good arm but who doesn't have the hitting cieling that Mauer does.

Also, a catcher is going to play maybe 130 games maximum a season otherwise you wear him out late in the season, but at 3b, you can play every game or close to it...

I mention 3b arbitrarily since Morneau is already at 1b and since Mauer is a catcher, he's obviously got an arm that can play 3b. The outfield is another option, but there's more running and collissions in the outfield. If you want a guy to play the maximum #s of games, on average, 3b and 1b are the best spots.

Catcher is also a good place for a platoon scenario if you can develop a lefty hitting catcher. Having two good platoon catchers (one a lefty hitter, another righty) is the ideal situation because you don't wind up with a tired catcher late in the season.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Amazing Oopah » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:50 am

ha, I love it that Mauer dropped to me in the two leagues whose drafts I was unable to attend due to other commitments. Good thing my fellow GM's were following the 'don't take catchers early' strategies :-D ;-D
Amazing Oopah
General Manager
General Manager

Lucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 4)

Postby theclefe » Thu Jun 29, 2006 4:16 am

johnsamo wrote:And never ever ever throw a bat at an ump. Every ump in the league saw that tape of Delmon YOung and he's already in their doghouse before he even makes the show. He's gonna have to be a real nice guy a long time to live that down.

So that is the key to hitting .400? ;-) [/b]
theclefe
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown Survivor
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Redefine9d » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:20 pm

I thought I heard this somewhere, but Joe Mauer never struck out, not even once, in his 4 years of high school baseball.
Redefine9d
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby decoy562 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:25 pm

johnsamo wrote:choosing Wright or Mauer?.... Now that's a tough one. Wright's definitely got the power advantage.... It's a basically flip a coin sort of choice.

I bet it's b/c Mauer is dating Miss USA...getting laid takes away your strength :-D
-Go Braves!
decoy562
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby g-dawg » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:29 pm

Redefine9d wrote:I thought I heard this somewhere, but Joe Mauer never struck out, not even once, in his 4 years of high school baseball.

Never struck out, or never struck out looking? I could definitely believe the second, but to never strike out at all from age 15-18 would be an amazing feat.
g-dawg
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby suppasonic » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:32 pm

Because my friends are somewhat retarded, I managed to pick up Mauer off the WW in April.
Dodgers World Champs 2012

GO FORESTERS!!!!!!
suppasonic
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby Laean » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:39 pm

Redefine9d wrote:I thought I heard this somewhere, but Joe Mauer never struck out, not even once, in his 4 years of high school baseball.

i heard cole hamels had an avg, obp, slugging%, and ops all of 1.000.
Laean
General Manager
General Manager

Postby cordscords » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:41 pm

Mauer was struck out once during his high school career, by Paul Feiner (http://www.argusleader.com/apps/pbcs.dl ... e=printart), and hit .605 during his senior season. (Jacob Wolf of Jordan also struck him out in a high school all-star game

-Wikipedia

Almost as impressive as Kazmir's no-no's.
cordscords
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 20)

Postby Wade Boggs' Mustache » Thu Jun 29, 2006 12:43 pm

g-dawg wrote:

Never struck out, or never struck out looking? I could definitely believe the second, but to never strike out at all from age 15-18 would be an amazing feat.

You're right, he actually did strike out...once...
http://www.fanball.com/bb/article.cfm/ID.6454

Fantasy Analysis: Mauer isn't quite Barry Bonds when it comes to his eye for the strike zone, but he's definitely one of the best in the game at laying off bad pitches. As a result, Mauer usually puts the ball in play. In fact, he only fanned once his entire high school career. He's had slightly more trouble with Major League pitchers, but still only has 21 strikeouts in 178 at-bats this season.
When Mauer makes contact, he's able to use all parts of the field. Angels manager Mike Scioscia compared Mauer to Ivan Rodriguez, but with less power. Twins manager Ron Gardenhire appreciates the way Mauer doesn't try to do too much with any pitch. It's not a home-run hitters mentality, but it keeps Mauer on the basepaths.

While winning a batting title might be a stretch because he will inevitably wear down, Mauer won't fall into any prolonged slumps because of his approach – which will keep his average among the best in baseball.
Wade Boggs' Mustache
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers