Joe Mauer has the best eye in baseball - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Joe Mauer has the best eye in baseball

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Joe Mauer has the best eye in baseball

Postby bellings » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:47 am

Have you guys ever watched Joe Mauer? I'm a been at several of his games. The guy is simply amazing. It is absolutely amazing the pitches that he lets go. Vladdy is amazing because he can hit most anything out of the park. Mauer is amazing because he never swings at anything that isn't a strke. In my opinion, those are 2 equally important characterics. There have been multiple times that I thought that he'd be rung up on strikes. The replay comes through, and it's only about 2 inches outside. Seriously, this is the guy that has the best chance at breaking .400. Mauer simply has the best eye in all of MLB.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby flowbee » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:02 am

why didnt you tell me this before the season started
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:07 am

I haven't watched his games, but box scores don't lie. When hot streaks last this long, they cease to be streaks and are basically saying this guy can just plain hit. He's special, so special, I'd transition him to third base. You can't risk that kind of hitter taking the physical punishment a catcher takes. Besides long term knee and general fatigue over a season and a career, One bad collission at the plate and he can be out for the season. Any player can have that, but catcher's face a much higher risk with all the close plays at the plate.

Doesn't have Teddy's power, but hitting 400 seems doable if he stays healthy, keeps learning and has protection behind him. That turf has to bump his average a bit, but he'd be hitting anywhere.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bellings » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:13 am

flowbee wrote:why didnt you tell me this before the season started

Word, brother. I almost drafted him in the 1st free agent round of my keeper league, but I took F. Lopez. I didn't regret it for the first month, but now I'm starting to...
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:13 am

johnsamo wrote:I haven't watched his games, but box scores don't lie. When hot streaks last this long, they cease to be streaks and are basically saying this guy can just plain hit. He's special, so special, I'd transition him to third base. You can't risk that kind of hitter taking the physical punishment a catcher takes. Besides long term knee and general fatigue over a season and a career, One bad collission at the plate and he can be out for the season. Any player can have that, but catcher's face a much higher risk with all the close plays at the plate.

Doesn't have Teddy's power, but hitting 400 seems doable if he stays healthy, keeps learning and has protection behind him. That turf has to bump his average a bit, but he'd be hitting anywhere.

You touched upon it in your post...gotta get him out of the Catcher position. I knew there was a reason I didn't trade him for my now favorite player Wright when they were both prospects.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:20 am

Todd Helton has a pretty good eye. The thing is, once you get a rep for having a good eye like Boggs or Gwynn, or now Helton, the umps usually give you the benefit of the doubt on close pitches that they'd probably call a strike on some rook. Just tonight, Helton got a ball four that was clearly a strike at the knees.

It's not fair, but life ain't fair.

It also helps not to argue strikes with umps, especially a catcher. Their's no point, they're not going to change the call, and if they don't like you, you're not going to get the close calls usually. Plus if Umps like you, and they made a bad call, they'll sometimes make it up to you next time and give you a break on a close one.

And never ever ever throw a bat at an ump. Every ump in the league saw that tape of Delmon YOung and he's already in their doghouse before he even makes the show. He's gonna have to be a real nice guy a long time to live that down.

Plus, if you build up a reputation as never arguing, you stand a slight chance of actually maybe getting a call changed if you do argue. Things like Texiera's "foul" ball tonight.... That had a chance of getting overturned if Tex was wel-liked and not "normally" an arguer.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby bellings » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:21 am

johnsamo wrote:I haven't watched his games, but box scores don't lie. When hot streaks last this long, they cease to be streaks and are basically saying this guy can just plain hit. He's special, so special, I'd transition him to third base. You can't risk that kind of hitter taking the physical punishment a catcher takes. Besides long term knee and general fatigue over a season and a career, One bad collission at the plate and he can be out for the season. Any player can have that, but catcher's face a much higher risk with all the close plays at the plate.

While I am a fantasy baseball player, I am also a Twins fan, and in that sense I disagree with you. On the catcher side of things, Mauer is as good as they come. Granted, the Twins seem to be an easy-going organization, because they never complained about A.J., but Mauer calls excellent games, rarely gets stolen on, and considering their attempt rate, throws them out an excellent amount. I too was annoyed that the Twins didn't have Santana, Prior... (Now it would be Santana, Prior, Liriano...), but I would take a healthy Mauer over a healthy Prior. Now THAT's saying a lot!
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:23 am

choosing Wright or Mauer?.... Now that's a tough one. Wright's definitely got the power advantage.... It's a basically flip a coin sort of choice.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:25 am

johnsamo wrote:choosing Wright or Mauer?.... Now that's a tough one. Wright's definitely got the power advantage.... It's a basically flip a coin sort of choice.

Yeah, but I didn't think so 3 years ago when the were both nearing the majors. But despite being a Mets fan, and seeing Wright player personally in AA, I went with all of Mauer's hype, and didn't trade him for Wright when it was offered to me.

Today I'd probably choose Wright, seeing as how he is my favorite player and an absolute stud, but this recent hot streak and a .392 average has made me a lot happier about the seemingly wrong decision.
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby bellings » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:27 am

pokerplaya wrote:
johnsamo wrote:choosing Wright or Mauer?.... Now that's a tough one. Wright's definitely got the power advantage.... It's a basically flip a coin sort of choice.

Yeah, but I didn't think so 3 years ago when the were both nearing the majors. But despite being a Mets fan, and seeing Wright player personally in AA, I went with all of Mauer's hype, and didn't trade him for Wright when it was offered to me.

Today I'd probably choose Wright, seeing as how he is my favorite player and an absolute stud, but this recent hot streak and a .392 average has made me a lot happier about the seemingly wrong decision.

I'll state the obvious: It's hard to go wrong between Wright and Mauer.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers