positive news for Jered Weaver - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

positive news for Jered Weaver

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

positive news for Jered Weaver

Postby mcliffy2 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:25 am

Nothing definite yet...but now management is starting to sound more like fantasy owners. I'm guessing he'll be back after the all-star break (man I'd like him next week to go against the team with Santana, Halladay, Glavine, and Schmidt). Plus Jered allowed only 1 ER and struck out 11 in 6 IP tonight.

From the Angels website:

Short leash: Jeff Weaver has not been removed from the Angels rotation, but the indicators are pointing in that direction.

Weaver allowed six runs on nine hits in a loss Tuesday before being lifted in the third inning after giving up four straight hits. He remains a likely candidate for the Angels to deal if the opportunity arises, but his value has been reduced after a number of subpar outings this season.

It was the fifth time he's allowed at least five runs and the second time he did not make it out of the third inning. In only three of his starts has Weaver allowed as few as five hits (his low), while in five other starts he's allowed eight or more.

"Right now is when we need five guys throwing the ball consistently," Scioscia said. "We've talked about a couple of things, but right now we're not committing to anything different."

Jeff's younger brother, Jered Weaver, is ready to take his spot and the kid is not going away. He went 4-0 with a 1.37 ERA in four starts this season with the Angels only to get sent back to Triple-A, where he's been dealing. On Wednesday afternoon, Jered Weaver allowed a run on six hits over six innings with 11 strikeouts.

In his previous start with Salt Lake, Jered Weaver tossed a two-hit shutout and fanned 14.

"I think the way Jered has pitched up here and pitched at Triple-A, it is something that we will look into at some point," Scioscia said. "It is something that we need to consider as a team and as an organization. We'll see how things pan out."
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:33 am

good news...i was getting impatient having jered on the bench when i can use some bats. so much for showcasing jeff for a trade, it seems like it backfired.
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby johnsamo » Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:50 am

Yep, he's on the way back, bank on it. With Jered's return just a matter of time, amd King Felix finally dealing, I'm tring to sell Josh Beckett high.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby jdsun1 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 3:55 am

johnsamo wrote:Yep, he's on the way back, bank on it. With Jered's return just a matter of time, amd King Felix finally dealing, I'm tring to sell Josh Beckett high.

I'd do the same if I were you. The King has returned to form this month and Jered is ready to return.
jdsun1
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mcliffy2 » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:09 am

Also have been thinking about selling Beckett high...I'll include my roster, and the roster of a couple teams hurting for pitching. I think I could use another bat.

I offered Ensberg and Beckett for Guerrero, which I think is a pretty fair deal. Is that asking too much? (The team I'm trying to get to trade has a ton of power (Howard, Guerrero, C Lee, A Jones, Hawpe).
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby mdHARRIS » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:43 am

Anyone else sick of Sciossa? Don't get me wrong, I know if I were as smart I'd be managing a ball club too, but since these manager's jobs depend on the team winning and losing, how do you demote the guy who was your best pitcher in his brief call-up? I know salaries come into play, but c'mon, his chatter gets tiring.

From a fantasy perspective, I'd like to think that collectively, we all know something about baseball and if it were Jeff who was money and then demoted, we'd want him to be recalled.

Leave Jeff in the rotation, his stock drops even lower and your team loses so how can you showcase him to suitors?
mdHARRIS
College Coach
College Coach

Return to Injuries & Player Updates