What has happened to A-Rod's keeper value? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What has happened to A-Rod's keeper value?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Geek » Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:09 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Geek wrote:
dyuen87 wrote::-b

You guys are hilarious. Whoever thinks ARod isnt the top 3b right now is out of their minds. Why not label Howard as the best 1B right now or Soriano as the #1 pick next year?

Maybe you've heard of this guy called ALBERT PUJOLS. That's why Howard isn't the #1 1b or Soriano isn't considered the #1 overall, for starters.

Also note that A-Rod doesn't provide consistent top-10 value.

Not top 10 in 2004. Not top 10 in 2006.

I didn't realize the 2006 season was over yet...

He may climb back into the top 20, but forget about top 10. Too many guys having monster years at the plate (Pujols, Soriano, Wright, Beltran, Wells, Thome, Howard, Lee, Hafner, Reyes, Berkman, Sizemore, Crawford, Bay, Ortiz, Tejada, Cabrera, Giambi). He may pass some of those guys, but not most of them.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Jun 29, 2006 7:14 pm

Geek wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
Geek wrote:

You guys are hilarious. Whoever thinks ARod isnt the top 3b right now is out of their minds. Why not label Howard as the best 1B right now or Soriano as the #1 pick next year?

Maybe you've heard of this guy called ALBERT PUJOLS. That's why Howard isn't the #1 1b or Soriano isn't considered the #1 overall, for starters.

He may climb back into the top 20, but forget about top 10. Too many guys having monster years at the plate (Pujols, Soriano, Wright, Beltran, Wells, Thome, Howard, Lee, Hafner, Reyes, Berkman, Sizemore, Crawford, Bay, Ortiz, Tejada, Cabrera, Giambi). He may pass some of those guys, but not most of them.

You are hilarious, you are totally dismissing A-Rod's "reliability" but now you are guarenteeing that at least 10 of those guys will finish ahead of A-Rod. I dont understand why they are more of a sure thing than A-Rod. (Keep in mind a me be wrong about some of these guys because i dont have the stats that date back that far) Guys like, Wright, Howard, Wells, Hafner, Reyes, Sizmore... have never even had a top 10 season, yet they are more reliable than a guy who has likely the most top 10 seasons in Fantasy Baseball history...

Next time check some career stats, do some research for a change. All you did was go to Yahoo's player search, and find all the people ahead of A-Rod in rank atm. Usually those things change, especially in more than half a season.

Now im gonna be blunt.

You could actually be the dumbest fantasy baseball player ever.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Thu Jun 29, 2006 9:13 pm

this is a tad askew in my opinion.

I think that albert is the pick, I don't see how that is deabteable given his age and his stats now.

But arod is about as consistent as they come. He's like peyton manning, his off year is around the top of everyone else's career year. The ratings for this year are in flux, and arod may not finish with the average wright has, but he has about +10 homer power over him, based on history. He may not finish with the average wright has, but the other two stats are team dependant. I don't think any arod owner trades him straight up for wright at this point. wright is palying his way into top ten status, but history counts in abseball. and I need another season from wright like this before I even consider it.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Geek » Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:41 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
Geek wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
Geek wrote:

You are hilarious, you are totally dismissing A-Rod's "reliability" but now you are guarenteeing that at least 10 of those guys will finish ahead of A-Rod. I dont understand why they are more of a sure thing than A-Rod. (Keep in mind a me be wrong about some of these guys because i dont have the stats that date back that far) Guys like, Wright, Howard, Wells, Hafner, Reyes, Sizmore... have never even had a top 10 season, yet they are more reliable than a guy who has likely the most top 10 seasons in Fantasy Baseball history...

Next time check some career stats, do some research for a change. All you did was go to Yahoo's player search, and find all the people ahead of A-Rod in rank atm. Usually those things change, especially in more than half a season.

Now im gonna be blunt.

You could actually be the dumbest fantasy baseball player ever.

Well, considering that I win about 60% of the leagues I enter, I'm not too concerned about your opinion.

Here's the point:

Sure some of those guys will cool off. But, those guys all have something in common.

They're all having better years than A-Rod so far.

Some of them--Wright, Beltran, Soriano--have had years so vastly superior to A-Rod's that it's really, really, really unlikely than any will finish behind him in the overall fantasy rankings.

Others will continue to have breakout seasons, some will falter.

But, it's not like A-Rod is almost in the top 10 right now.

Right now, he's barely in the top 40.

Notice that I didn't even include pitchers. For instance, Johann Santana will have provided his owners more value than A-Rod this year. I guarantee it.

A-Rod isn't even in the top 20 in HR's or RBI's right now. In 2004 he finished #13 in HR's and #17 in RBI's.

Sorry, but a slugger who can't be counted on to finish in the top 10 in HR's or RBI's ain't no top 2 pick.
Geek
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:16 pm

You keep cracking me up. Are you actually giving me your percentage of winnings in leagues? I love that defense. ;-D

Another thing i love... How you keep referring back to his 2004 stats. Why not take a look at his 2005 stats, don't you think thats a better indicator of A-Rod's future, rather than 2004? In 2005, he was 2nd in HR, 4th in RBi, 2nd in Runs, 8th in avg, with 20+ sb. And first overall in yahoo's rank. But yet you still focus on 2004 for some reason. O wait i understand how your thinking. 2004 is the real A-Rod and 1996, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 and 2005 were all flukes. O ok, makes sense to me. ;-7

But wait lets bash your fantasy research a little more. If a player is barely top 40 on yahoo rank, there is a 100% guarentee they will not finish in the top 10 in the league. If we were talking for example about Alex Rios, then yes i doubt he gets into the top 10 at the end of the year, but we are talking about Alex Rodriguez, a 2 time MVP, and the best player in the last decade. Since you love looking at HR and RBI for some reason, (even though leagues are usually 5x5 and not 2x5), lets look at some of A-Rod's, HR/RBI numbers.

1996: 36/123
1997: 23/84
1998: 42/124
1999: 42/111
2000: 41/132
2001: 52/135
2002: 57/142
2003: 47/118
2004: 36/106
2005: 48/130

Please tell me what looks wrong here. IMO its the 3 seasons of under 40 HR (2 of them being his first 2 years).

As was said before, "The man has 162 game averages of
127 R, 43 HR, 125 RBI, 23 SB .306avg, .385obp, and a .574 slg." So you tell me why 2004 is the real A-Rod, and why hell never be top 10 ever again?
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:19 pm

BTW i don't even know why im defending A-Rod. I hate A-Rod, and Wright is one of my favorite players. I just think that you really have proved nothing that supports your opinion.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tol1l1yboy » Thu Jun 29, 2006 11:22 pm

Because we're not stupid

I guess Im stupid b/c I dont think Arod is the best 3b anymore. Maybe he turns it on in the second half and remains the top guy but Wright is no slouch and he was pretty darn close to Arod before the year started. Wright is also one of those guys that you get your hands on and keep for 10 years in a keeper league.

FYI: Howard will be a first rounder next year after he hits 50 home runs and drives in over 100 and scores 100 especially in leagues that dont allow you to play DH's at first base. I have Howard and I kept in my league and I cant think of another first baseman that I would trade straight up for him at this point other than Pujols (ya Ill keep dreaming of getting that offer lol) but the point is that players decline and top prospects that come around like Howard and Wright are guys you have to get while you can and hang on to b/c you dont just find guys like that on the free agent wire.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers